Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Remove this Banner Ad

the question is why do we think just throwing games to him is making him better? Playing in the WAFL could be just as useful tbh.

Lets not sugar coat it - Tabs has played alot of games purely on the basis of his potential. Theres a reason he is getting subbed out.

"Alot":
Firstly, the bloke has played 18 career games. EIGHTEEN. How many of these "alot" are you referring to?

Secondly:
ALOT.png

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com.au/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

the question is why do we think just throwing games to him is making him better? Playing in the WAFL could be just as useful tbh.

Lets not sugar coat it - Tabs has played alot of games purely on the basis of his potential. Theres a reason he is getting subbed out.
What can he learn in a dysfunctional, constantly changing WAFL team that he couldn't learn in a top flight, consistent, well drilled team playing with and against the best?

Last edited:

Because subbing the 2nd tall or 2nd ruckman for a small is pretty much standard practice for AFL clubs now?

Taberner is getting games because he's (easily) the best 2nd tall forward at the club. OK, it's probably our biggest weakness, but we don't have a whole lot of other options. Hannath or another smaller player. You can't say he's not there on merit - who's he keeping out of the side that should be there?

I think he's also learning to play with Pavlich, and playing a type of game that gives Pav the best chance of kicking goals. Which is a fair reflection of where Taberner is at currently. If, in addition to that, he can take a mark or 2 inside 50 and convert, then he's worth his spot.

he is complete pants. drop him and never look back. how he gets a game ahead of Mzungu or half the Peel side is truly beyond me. I suspect he's either a close family friend of the Lyon's or has some dirt on one of his family members. there is literally no other reasonable explanation for his continued selection and abject 4 possession performances.

he is complete pants. drop him and never look back. how he gets a game ahead of Mzungu or half the Peel side is truly beyond me. I suspect he's either a close family friend of the Lyon's or has some dirt on one of his family members. there is literally no other reasonable explanation for his continued selection and abject 4 possession performances.

Quality post.
I wonder whose alias this is?

A reasonable explanation is that you're a nuffy and have no clue what you're on about. Mzungu to replace Tabs as a tall forward? You reckon half the Peel side could play as a better second tall than Tabs right now?

that's not a reasonable explanation for his selection. in fact it seems to be entirely unrelated.

Mzungu is a utility player. it's unlikely we'd play him as a permanent tall forward, but it's highly likely he'd be a valuable contributor to the side.

I have little interest in watching Peel so I couldn't comment on their composition, but I don't imagine they have 11 tall forwards. I am sure though that they'd have 11 players who'd add considerably more to the side than the present offerings of taberner.

we've become blinded by team success. remove the blinkers friends, the guy is the embodiment of ineptitude.

Taberner is getting games because he's (easily) the best 2nd tall forward at the club. OK, it's probably our biggest weakness, but we don't have a whole lot of other options. Hannath or another smaller player. You can't say he's not there on merit - who's he keeping out of the side that should be there?
This is it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit soft in the aerial contest at times. Hopefully, that will improve as he gets a bit stronger. Shouldn't have dropped that mark in the last, but he does a lot of good things and leads up well.

Bit soft in the aerial contest at times. Hopefully, that will improve as he gets a bit stronger. Shouldn't have dropped that mark in the last, but he does a lot of good things and leads up well.

This, but also thought he got caught on defence today, did not chase or put on pressure on the rebound. IMO not his best game.

Thought his lead up early was great and that play on and pass to Pav on the right was a highlight. Just wish he held on to some marks but man so could've Sandi (!!) and Clarke, who dropped some really straight forward ones. Will be needed against Kangaroos that's for sure..

Thought his lead up early was great and that play on and pass to Pav on the right was a highlight. Just wish he held on to some marks but man so could've Sandi (!!) and Clarke, who dropped some really straight forward ones. Will be needed against Kangaroos that's for sure..
Agree totally about Sandi And Clarke

Tabs is coming along nicely. Some things he does, he looks at home as our FF. Other times, it's a bit shaky. But the effort's there, he's getting better every game I see him, and just having him in the forward line has de-aged Pav by at least 5 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back