Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Remove this Banner Ad

Wrong. Pav kicked the ball off his left foot to the top of the square on Saturday night. It was basically a SITTER FOR TABS. He dropped it.

Pav also had a left foot snap on goal at the City end; relatively easy but missed.

Yeah Pav uses his left plenty, always has.

On a related note I was staggered to see MJ go on the left on the weekend, can't recall him ever using it before. Was a rare occasion where his side-step didn't work.

Maybe a strange bump but Ross mentioned that with Pearce going forward and doing well that Tabs would no longer be 'gifted games' or something to that effect. With Zac having another rest and Pearce potentially going back again, will Tabs have it in him to lift to another level? Essentially this means second efforts, which seem almost non existent with this young man.
What do you guys think? Can Tabs lift or could this be the end?

I don't think it is the end, he is what 22 yrs old? But it is a fact he has been gifted games, I don't think he'd get a game at many other clubs, Carlton & Brisbane perhaps, every other team would have 2 better key forwards, maybe even 3. I think we play our best footy with him in the role but look at how often he is subbed and that would suggest he isn't rated that highly by Ross & co.

He is out of contract but I don't think teams would be banging down the door to sign him.

Yeah he's going to have to lift given Ross seemed to like Alex's game on the weekend. I still think Taberner does a good job at that lead up CHF role where he's getting the ball 70/80 out. He seems to mark it there a lot better and has a decent kick for spotting another target.

But as many point out, the hands inside 50 and the second efforts are barely a step above woeful.

The thing is that if Pav and McPharlin go next year then Pearce would be a good chance to move back to defence anyway, which leads us back to square 1.

Maybe a strange bump but Ross mentioned that with Pearce going forward and doing well that Tabs would no longer be 'gifted games' or something to that effect. With Zac having another rest and Pearce potentially going back again, will Tabs have it in him to lift to another level? Essentially this means second efforts, which seem almost non existent with this young man.
What do you guys think? Can Tabs lift or could this be the end?

He plays a position that we don't have a lot of competition for so I guess it is far from the end.

He is also progressing as any young forward does (inconsistently) other than maybe the out and out stars. There is a lot to like about Tabs especially his elite running which he needs to start using at AFL level. He will get more opportunities and he will start to clunk those marks, I still see him nailing down a position one day (next 1-2 years).

Still not seeing huge scores without him in the team. And it's not an option to have him not in team and no replacement. A. Pearce can be replacement but otherwise need Tabs there. Refer Hawthorn game forward line.

As has been said McPharlin and Dawson aren't gojng to be around for much longer so A Pearce will likely be a KPD long term. At least with KPF we have a few others down the list. KPD very scarce outside current playing bunch plus MJ.

The finals will tell the story on where he is at last year him and Zac Clarke were truly woeful in both finals just hope that he has improved as people keep saying need him to be competitive in the big games.

Lets hope its the moment where it just all clicks.

tumblr_mzg1ynul7E1s36aafo1_500.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

C'mon Tabs, stick it up the haters!

Well lets hope.

The 'haters' don't have much expectation for him, all we want is that he competes i.e brings ball to ground and actually makes a contest. We all know about his deficiencies marking the ball, but we need a contest. Which is why many of us prefer AP up front even though, Tabs is a better kick at goal.

Thank * we scrapped through. Definitely need a second tall although I can understand why he was withdrawn (cheers BOM, loving all of this rain and hail)

Unleash him in 2 weeks (even if he's only a decoy)

35eca2fc98f811e0909d12313b10052d_small.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back