Toast The media....*Nods Head*

Remove this Banner Ad

Never anything like this. Of course as a Port supporter we saw media bias from ex-Sturt and Norwood etc players but generally they were real journalists not gossip rag sycophants like they are today. There was at least a pretence at objectivity. It wasn't a 24/7 industry then either. And it was spread across a competition.

Sure they didn't like Port and the Art of Winning but they respected us for it.

KG was probably the thin end of the wedge of subjective journalism and coaches with their own columns - usually Neil Kerley - pushed their own barrow.

But then you would get ex-Victorians like Dick Jones who applauded Port Adelaide's hard-nosed brutality and ridiculed the whiners for not shaping up and meeting our standard.

KGs schoolgirl crush on the "Jarman boys" was pretty embarrassing.

Dick Jones was pretty good value. In my '89 Grand Final issue of the Footy Times, he gives it to North and its sputtering "engine room." Could tell he really enjoyed writing that column.

Maybe I'm getting old, but I reckon footy writing in The Tiser was much better back when the likes of Agars, Schwartz and Kingston were the hacks filing stories.

Say the same with the commentary of Daisy, Peter Marker and a young Special Bruce before he became enamored with stats and the "theatre of the game."

Generally, the style was leaner, cleaner and less hyperbolic. But that's probably true of most media...

But then you would get ex-Victorians like Dick Jones who applauded Port Adelaide's hard-nosed brutality and ridiculed the whiners for not shaping up and meeting our standard.

We could do with more of this agenda these days, rather than the shameless soapboxing for the No AFL in SANFL set and their unthinking parrots in the media.

2000: Centrals
2001: Centrals
2002: Sturt
2003: Centrals
2004: Centrals
2005: Centrals
2006: WWT
2007: Centrals
2008: Centrals
2009: Centrals
2010: Centrals
2011: WWT
2012: Norwood
2013: Norwood
2014: Norwood

Port, though!

so refreshing to hear Kane on the radio today. Loved it when he started talking about teams happily celebrating finishing in the 8 dressed up "looking like idiots"
He couldnt understand why someone (Cotchin) would be out celebrating what happened and talking to the media "looking like an idiot"
Then went on to tell Wildy the story about our Boaky shutting down a junior player who was planning on getting dressed up for Mad Monday.

so refreshing to hear Kane on the radio today. Loved it when he started talking about teams happily celebrating finishing in the 8 dressed up "looking like idiots"
He couldnt understand why someone (Cotchin) would be out celebrating what happened and talking to the media "looking like an idiot"
Then went on to tell Wildy the story about our Boaky shutting down a junior player who was planning on getting dressed up for Mad Monday.
Roo sitting at home listening and gets out his pen and a notepad titled 'port adelaide ideas' and writes

'No more mad Monday dress ups'
'Get captain to be more like Boak'

Actually he will probably just put another asterisk next to the Boak one!

Yeah, Richmond in particular. Blown out in 10 minutes of football, Cotchin gets doorstopped while wearing a shiny vest & studded dog-collar 24 hours later, while many Tigers fans are still driving back.

I guess that's why we won more finals in a 371-day span over 2013-4 than Richmond have in 32 years.

Probably not far from the truth. Perhaps PAFC should play their cards a little closer to their chest from now on regarding all things football, strategy, marketing etc.
Let them play catchup

KG was probably the thin end of the wedge of subjective journalism and coaches with their own columns - usually Neil Kerley - pushed their own barrow.

Sorry, Ford Fairline, I know what you are trying to say but who can forget this classic piece:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/ipad/kg-port-should-not-be-in-the-afl/story-fn76njus-1226046554222

Their supporter base is diminishing when it should be on the way up. They just manage to crack more than 20,000 to a home game. It's one lame excuse after another.

Sorry, Ford Fairline, I know what you are trying to say but who can forget this classic piece:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/ipad/kg-port-should-not-be-in-the-afl/story-fn76njus-1226046554222

That just lends credence to what I was saying, KG was the thin edge of he wedge in that he was the beginnings of tabloid football journalism. As he grew older and a more substantial figure in local journalism he became worse until now it seems to be the standard.

I still remember the contretemps he engineered at Alberton Oval when the 1990 AFL bid was announced.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kornes is on AA this morning & started with a pearler about the 19th man being able to learn from the Melb Pricktory cheer squad about how to chant properly, Dillon gave him a nice one back i'll pay by asking if he was taking diving tips lol.
Is Dillon the one who pretends to be neutral?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back