Toast The media....*Nods Head*

Remove this Banner Ad

Dillon infuriates more than anyone else on radio. He's arrogant, patronising and stupid. How the hell does he keep his job? He's a nobody FFS

Dillon was sacked by Mick Nunan and took that with his usual humility. He moved to Torrens and could play but his knees were a mess.

Dillon was sacked by Mick Nunan and took that with his usual humility. He moved to Torrens and could play but his knees were a mess.

Pretty sure he was the first to have some kind of radical knee surgery in '85?

Well, it was radical for its time. Last-ditch attempt at a footy career failed.

Pretty sure he went straight into the media after that...

Pretty sure he was the first to have some kind of radical knee surgery in '85?

Well, it was radical for its time. Last-ditch attempt at a footy career failed.

Pretty sure he went straight into the media after that...

There was talk of transplanting cartilage from a cadaver. Don't know if it ever went ahead.

There was talk of transplanting cartilage from a cadaver. Don't know if it ever went ahead.

Some may say I wasted a Newstext credit but this is the laziest of lazy Sunday mornings...

Dillon may play again
By Andrew Both
Saturday, Feb 1, 1986
Page 26

KYM Dillon's hopes of playing league football again have risen following surgery in Adelaide this week.

The West Torrens follower had an operation on Wednesday, six months after receiving a cartilage transplant in what was hailed as a world first.

In the historic operation last August, a cartilage from a person killed in a road accident was transplanted into Dillon's left knee.

His surgeons were delighted when Wednesday's operation revealed that 90 p.c. of the transplanted cartilage had adhered to the knee joint.

Even though Dillon still has a long way to go before resuming league football, one of his surgeons said last night everything so far had gone according to plan.

However, the surgeon, who cannot be named, could not yet state whether the transplant had been successful.

“Just because the cartilage has joined, it doesn't mean it will function,” the surgeon said.

“I can't state that he's going to have a normal knee, but to look into it and see everything
looking good is very satisfying.”

“I'm optimistic there'll be some improvement in the knee, but the operation will have been successful only if Kym is able to train and play league football for longer than he would have.”

The surgeon said Dillon would begin a lengthy period of rehabilitation next week and was unlikely to play football until the second half of the season.

If Dillon's operation is successful, it may open the way for other athletes to have cartilage transplants. However, the surgeon said he did not believe the operation would become common.

Dillon, 26, has suffered from bad knees for years and was told to retire from football last year. He took the advice at first, but resumed playing in May, making eight league appearances before the pain in his knees forced him to retire again.

In the transplant operation, surgeons removed the last remnants of old cartilage which had been causing Dillon problems, and drilled four tiny holes from the top of the lower leg bone to the middle of the knee joint.

They then passed stitches through the holes to snare the new cartilage, pulling it into the joint.

Last edited:
FWIW, Dillon didn't play again. He was commentating for the ABC in '87. There goes another Newstext credit!

These days I think they just inject gel into your knee. McLeod's knees were supposed to be shot by the late 1990s and he played 340 games.

These days I think they just inject gel into your knee. McLeod's knees were supposed to be shot by the late 1990s and he played 340 games.
I had that done a couple of years ago - Synvisc (or something like that). It worked OK for me (I had 10 ops on the knee I had the injection in) and was considering doing it again on both knees following another bout of surgery (a combined 14 all up on both knees) but I have decided to go down another path of Platelet Rich Plasma injections to see how that goes.

Synvisc is not a cheap option to pursue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Professor David David. did lol.

He is the world regarded maxo-cranial surgeon. He is about 70 maybe 73 years old and still doing great work He played footy for Uni in the early 1960's and represented the state in amateur league teams. His nickname was D squared- met him a few times thru the footy club functions. I played footy with his son Phil. We gave him the nickname PHD.

I had that done a couple of years ago - Synvisc (or something like that). It worked OK for me (I had 10 ops on the knee I had the injection in) and was considering doing it again on both knees following another bout of surgery (a combined 14 all up on both knees) but I have decided to go down another path of Platelet Rich Plasma injections to see how that goes.

Synvisc is not a cheap option to pursue.

Is your last name 'Menzel' ?

Never posted a link but here is my go.

Story about Norwood joining the AFL. I have always believed that the SANFL should have promoted clubs and maybe a two club composite as the SA AFL representation. The concept if a State team devalues the history of clubs and confuses supporter bases.

Intuitively it does not make sense that the SA team 'Crows' did not dominate the competition in the 90s, where they were competing against clubs operating from an area of a state, in particular for the Victorian teams.

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl...101132279?nk=bb221cfb35b1f2c51cfb5f297502112e

Not sure if this topic has been done to death on here before as I am new to bf, apologies if it has.

Never posted a link but here is my go.

Story about Norwood joining the AFL. I have always believed that the SANFL should have promoted clubs and maybe a two club composite as the SA AFL representation. The concept if a State team devalues the history of clubs and confuses supporter bases.

Intuitively it does not make sense that the SA team 'Crows' did not dominate the competition in the 90s, where they were competing against clubs operating from an area of a state, in particular for the Victorian teams.

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl...101132279?nk=bb221cfb35b1f2c51cfb5f297502112e

Not sure if this topic has been done to death on here before as I am new to bf, apologies if it has.
The idea of the state team killed any hope of the Sanfl being able to showcase the real integrity of their competition. The crows idea was really just a 'none of our teams are really good enough and we hate Port so let's just put all them together' idea. Meaning now- that monstrosity and us, simply use their competition as player development.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back