Roast The media....*Shakes Head* Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep and that made sense before they switched off analog, if someone now doesn't have a HD tuner then let them upgrade I say. HD tv's have been around for so long now, all top rating shows should be on the HD channels
I agree, but of course we're forgetting the blue rinse set who only got SD set top boxes for free from KRudd.

I'd tear up that particularly archaic regulation and send them all phonographic discs of Blue Hills.

Yep and that made sense before they switched off analog, if someone now doesn't have a HD tuner then let them upgrade I say. HD tv's have been around for so long now, all top rating shows should be on the HD channels

It's the same as when they turned off the analog mobile phone network. There were perfectly intelligent people who thought they'd delay it because "too many people have analog mobile phones".

Just rip off the band-aid, make all the main channels HD and force people to upgrade or EAD.

Blame all those extra channels tv stations now use. It uses up avail bandwidth. I cant see too many tv stations dropping those extra channels (more advertising revenue) anytime soon.

It's the same as when they turned off the analog mobile phone network. There were perfectly intelligent people who thought they'd delay it because "too many people have analog mobile phones".

Just rip off the band-aid, make all the main channels HD and force people to upgrade or EAD.
I found this video interesting to watch, Skip to 30 seconds

Blame all those extra channels tv stations now use. It uses up avail bandwidth. I cant see too many tv stations dropping those extra channels (more advertising revenue) anytime soon.
Those channels s**t me to no end.
90% of the time it broacasts the same crap the other 10% they broadcast crap just of a different kind.

It's like they all wanted to go a foxtel route, multiple channels for different demographics, but forgot to actually put other things on it.

I found this video interesting to watch, Skip to 30 seconds

Those channels s**t me to no end.
90% of the time it broacasts the same crap the other 10% they broadcast crap just of a different kind.

It's like they all wanted to go a foxtel route, multiple channels for different demographics, but forgot to actually put other things on it.

They're showing that excremental Get Me Out of Here, I'm a Washed Up Hack on both Ten and One at the same ******* time. They must be running short on content at that network.

It is a really odd thing.

1) channel 9 broadcast non Australia cricket games on Gem in HD for the whole game. I.e watch India v England in HD but when it comes to Australia, SD is good enough
2) ch 9 show movies on GO, so they show up in SD when hey could just as easily show it on GEm and show it in HD.
3) Ch 7 football I believe still use HD cameras, as the coverage does look clearer on Fox footy HD for the same games.

Also, how is it a bandwidth issue? This I don't understand, as they have he licence to use a specific segment of the spectrum? What am I missing?

I remember when they first gave us regional folk all the extra channels via the southern cross network.
They obviously couldn't sell all their advertising spots so we be forced to watch minutes of dribble like ducks eating or boats sailing and the like to a soundtrack that would send everyone to sleep.
I'm glad those days are past.

new

Yep I agree! Brand new tvs are cheap now days and HD boxes even cheaper. Most pensioners that I know had upgraded to flat screens way before I did any way!

It is a really odd thing.

1) channel 9 broadcast non Australia cricket games on Gem in HD for the whole game. I.e watch India v England in HD but when it comes to Australia, SD is good enough
2) ch 9 show movies on GO, so they show up in SD when hey could just as easily show it on GEm and show it in HD.
3) Ch 7 football I believe still use HD cameras, as the coverage does look clearer on Fox footy HD for the same games.

Also, how is it a bandwidth issue? This I don't understand, as they have he licence to use a specific segment of the spectrum? What am I missing?

From discussions I have had with Foxtel when I complained about them advertising "Every game, live in full HD", 7 still only provide them with an SD image, Foxtel then upscales it to 1080p. But yeah the 7 cameras I have seen at the games have all been HD cameras, 7 are just morons basically. IMO they pretty much think we all don't really notice the difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Government legislation is part of the problem here. Primary FTA channels must be in SD and anti-siphoning rules require the football to be on the primary channel. The best they could do is simulcast on 7mate, but I understand 7 is mostly using SD cameras for their football.

Nope that is wrong. Senator Conroy when he was Communications minister changed both the anti-siphoning list and the requirement to simulcast in both SD and HD for the sports on the list- ie cant show those on the anti-siphoning list on HD channel first and SD channel second - back in November 2010. What you said only relates to the events deemed to be Tier A events.

If you are in Sydney or Brisbane you have been watching games live on 7Mate since at least 2012 ie when this current TV deal started and I believe it started in 2011 about 4 months after the Conroy changes.

From when November 2010 when the Tier A and Tier B list covering 1,300 events ( ie the 302 Olympic gold medal events are listed as single events) was announced.

http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2010/s3076683.htm

STEPHEN CONROY: Our most popular and iconic sports will remain available to all Australians. And the changes will allow free-to-air broadcasters to take advantage of digital multi-channels to show more sport and show it live.

SAMANTHA HAWLEY: The anti-siphoning list was first formed in 1994 when pay television was in its infancy and it expires at the end of December. It's aim is to ensure that events of national importance and cultural significance remain freely available for all the public to watch.

The new list sees some new additions including the growlingly popular 20/20 cricket matches involving Australia. The Minister has announced there'll also now be two tiers on the new anti-siphoning list: Tier A and Tier B.

STEPHEN CONROY: Tier A will comprise nationally iconic events such as the Melbourne Cup, the Bathurst 1000 and the State of Origin. As well of the finals of Australian tournaments like the rugby league and the AFL premierships.

Free-to-air broadcasters will be required to show these events live and in full on their main analogue and digital channel.

Tier B comprises events such as the regular games of the AFL and NRL premiership seasons shown on free-to-air and non-finals games of the Australian Open tennis. Free-to-air broadcasters will have the flexibility to televise these events on digital multi-channels.

SAMANTHA HAWLEY: He says that will give TV stations the ability to broadcast NRL games live in Melbourne or AFL games live in Sydney. There will also be new requirements that sports on the anti-siphoning list are broadcast.

STEPHEN CONROY: Must show obligations on the free-to-air broadcasters. This will require them to televise the anti-siphoning listed events that they acquire.

SAMANTHA HAWLEY: NRL and AFL games that are currently shown on pay television will be removed from the anti-siphoning list. Other matches including group games of the Rugby World Cup have also been dumped meaning pay TV companies can bid directly for those games.

The Minister again:

STEPHEN CONROY: For AFL and NRL the government intends to partially de-list competition round matches. Currently only four out of eight AFL matches are shown on free-to-air television and in the NRL only three out of eight.

The government will put in place mechanisms to protect the quality of the matches on free-to-air television as is the case now the AFL will continue to determine which games are broadcast on free-to-air, however the government will put in place a mechanism to protect the quality of games on free-to-air television, ensure that Friday and Saturday night games remain blockbuster games in the round and blockbusters like Anzac Day and Queen's Birthday games will remain on free-to-air.

SAMANTHA HAWLEY: The changes will require parliamentary approval because the existing legislation needs to be changed. But that won't happen until next year.

and Conroy's official statement at the time.

http://resources.news.com.au/files/2010/11/25/1225961/026873-anti-siphoning-statement.pdf

and here is the Tier A and Tier B events listed.
https://web.archive.org/web/2011012...The-Future-Anti-siphoning-List-26-11-2010.pdf

Last edited:
Nope that is wrong. Senator Conroy when he was Communications minister changed both the anti-siphoning list and the requirement to simulcast in both SD and HD for the sports on the list- ie cant show those on the anti-siphoning list on HD channel first and SD channel second - back in November 2010. What you said only relates to the events deemed to be Tier A events.

If you are in Sydney or Brisbane you have been watching games live on 7Mate since at least 2012 ie when this current TV deal started and I believe it started in 2011 about 4 months after the Conroy changes.

From when November 2010 when the Tier A and Tier B list covering 1,300 events ( ie the 302 Olympic gold medal events are listed as single events) was announced.

STEPHEN CONROY: Our most popular and iconic sports will remain available to all Australians. And the changes will allow free-to-air broadcasters to take advantage of digital multi-channels to show more sport and show it live.

SAMANTHA HAWLEY: The anti-siphoning list was first formed in 1994 when pay television was in its infancy and it expires at the end of December. It's aim is to ensure that events of national importance and cultural significance remain freely available for all the public to watch.

The new list sees some new additions including the growlingly popular 20/20 cricket matches involving Australia. The Minister has announced there'll also now be two tiers on the new anti-siphoning list: Tier A and Tier B.

STEPHEN CONROY: Tier A will comprise nationally iconic events such as the Melbourne Cup, the Bathurst 1000 and the State of Origin. As well of the finals of Australian tournaments like the rugby league and the AFL premierships.

Free-to-air broadcasters will be required to show these events live and in full on their main analogue and digital channel.

Tier B comprises events such as the regular games of the AFL and NRL premiership seasons shown on free-to-air and non-finals games of the Australian Open tennis. Free-to-air broadcasters will have the flexibility to televise these events on digital multi-channels.

SAMANTHA HAWLEY: He says that will give TV stations the ability to broadcast NRL games live in Melbourne or AFL games live in Sydney. There will also be new requirements that sports on the anti-siphoning list are broadcast.

STEPHEN CONROY: Must show obligations on the free-to-air broadcasters. This will require them to televise the anti-siphoning listed events that they acquire.

SAMANTHA HAWLEY: NRL and AFL games that are currently shown on pay television will be removed from the anti-siphoning list. Other matches including group games of the Rugby World Cup have also been dumped meaning pay TV companies can bid directly for those games.

The Minister again:

STEPHEN CONROY: For AFL and NRL the government intends to partially de-list competition round matches. Currently only four out of eight AFL matches are shown on free-to-air television and in the NRL only three out of eight.

The government will put in place mechanisms to protect the quality of the matches on free-to-air television as is the case now the AFL will continue to determine which games are broadcast on free-to-air, however the government will put in place a mechanism to protect the quality of games on free-to-air television, ensure that Friday and Saturday night games remain blockbuster games in the round and blockbusters like Anzac Day and Queen's Birthday games will remain on free-to-air.

SAMANTHA HAWLEY: The changes will require parliamentary approval because the existing legislation needs to be changed. But that won't happen until next year.

and Conroy's official statement at the time.

http://resources.news.com.au/files/2010/11/25/1225961/026873-anti-siphoning-statement.pdf

and here is the Tier A and Tier B events listed.
https://web.archive.org/web/2011012...The-Future-Anti-siphoning-List-26-11-2010.pdf
Was living abroad when this change to the list occurred......this only makes the outcome worse IMO. I am correct that the fact remains the primary channels are still required to be SD.

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2015/02...o-allow-primary-channels-to-switch-to-hd.html

FTA viewers in the traditional football states get a cataract like view on FTA, but no doubt see HD Friday night NRL on Gem and vice versa for the NRL heartland.

Then for the showpiece events its SD all the way.

Last edited:
Was living abroad when this change to the list occurred......this only makes the outcome worse IMO. I am correct that the fact remains the primary channels are still required to be SD.

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2015/02...o-allow-primary-channels-to-switch-to-hd.html

FTA viewers in the traditional football states get a cataract like view on FTA, but no doubt see HD Friday night NRL on Gem and vice versa for the NRL heartland.

It also doesn't help when nongs insist they "can't tell the difference anyway".

image.jpg

I wasn't commenting on the primary channel - but that being SD not HD is another * up by the government.

We have to do what the yanks and poms do with their FCC and Office of Communications (OfCom) and set up an independent statutory body - like the Reserve bank, who makes all decisions on communications for the benefit of the public, not the Free TV and Free radio owners. The minister in Oz has always seen himself as a media king maker and sucks up to his media mates so that they wont campaign against the government. Its meant that us consumers of media have been disadvantaged - colour TV came to Oz in 1975 not 1968 because the Packer's and Fairfax's didnt want to invest monies in new equipment. Pay TV got to Oz in 1994/1995 not 1980. That meant when the internet got to Oz in 1995 you didnt have all these cable TV companies to compete with Telstra and Optus. Digital TV and Digitial/Satellite Radio is way behind where its should be in Oz.

Australians are great rapid adopters of new technologies quickly being in the top 5 to top 10 per household ranked amongst the world. The only areas of consumer electronics we are not are
, internet broadband,
digitial TV,
Pay TV and
digital/satellite radio

Why?? Every minister of communications being to scared to force the media barons to produce worlds best standards and provide world bests services. If the media barons could stop us we wouldn't be the #1 pirated download films TV programs and music. Protecting media mates has driven us to this state of affairs.

I wasn't commenting on the primary channel - but that being SD not HD is another **** up by the government.

We have to do what the yanks and poms do with their FCC and Office of Communications (OfCom) and set up an independent statutory body - like the Reserve bank, who makes all decisions on communications for the benefit of the public, not the Free TV and Free radio owners. The minister in Oz has always seen himself as a media king maker and sucks up to his media mates so that they wont campaign against the government. Its meant that us consumers of media have been disadvantaged - colour TV came to Oz in 1975 not 1968 because the Packer's and Fairfax's didnt want to invest monies in new equipment. Pay TV got to Oz in 1994/1995 not 1980. That meant when the internet got to Oz in 1995 you didnt have all these cable TV companies to compete with Telstra and Optus. Digital TV and Digitial/Satellite Radio is way behind where its should be in Oz.

Australians are great rapid adopters of new technologies quickly being in the top 5 to top 10 per household ranked amongst the world. The only areas of consumer electronics we are not are
, internet broadband,
digitial TV,
Pay TV and
digital/satellite radio

Why?? Every minister of communications being to scared to force the media barons to produce worlds best standards and provide world bests services. If the media barons could stop us we wouldn't be the #1 pirated download films TV programs and music. Protecting media mates has driven us to this state of affairs.
This change, switching the primary to HD seems like a no brainer. The FTA (well license paid) landscape in the UK was that each network (typically) had at least their primary channels in both SD and HD. The only noticeable issue was the HD channels had minor interruptions when news updates occurred....they only broadcast that on SD. So there was BBC1 HD and BBC1, ITV1 HD and ITV1, ITV2, 3, 4HD and ITV2, 3, 4.

Their "FreeView", a name that is being used under license here, has many more channels which you'd expect given the population difference.....their licensing and spectrum management far more flexible.

Of course you'd get strong arguments from most educated poms that OfCom has failed to stop the market power of Murdoch - who they loathe so much they seem to need to vent to any nearby Aussie.

This change, switching the primary to HD seems like a no brainer. The FTA (well license paid) landscape in the UK was that each network (typically) had at least their primary channels in both SD and HD. The only noticeable issue was the HD channels had minor interruptions when news updates occurred....they only broadcast that on SD. So there was BBC1 HD and BBC1, ITV1 HD and ITV1, ITV2, 3, 4HD and ITV2, 3, 4.

Their "FreeView", a name that is being used under license here, has many more channels which you'd expect given the population difference.....their licensing and spectrum management far more flexible.

Of course you'd get strong arguments from most educated poms that OfCom has failed to stop the market power of Murdoch - who they loathe so much they seem to need to vent to any nearby Aussie.

Yep that's exactly what SBS do. I can't be that hard can it?

That might be true, but I bet they dont say OfCom has stopped UK consumers adopting the latest technology as close to when it is available for use in other parts of the world. Market dominance is one argument - being allowed to implement quick roll out of new technologies is another. OfCom hasn't done that like Ministers of Communications have in Oz since the late 1960's. s**t Bob Menzies didn't want TV in Oz at all and it was only the Olympics in Melbourne in 1956 that they held a Royal Commission in 1954 into TV roll out in Oz.

I can hardly watch SD now I've been spoilt with Fox HD.
Switching between Fox Sports and Channel Ten for the V8s was like heaven and hell. Even for the footy switching between Fox Footys SD and HD channels. There's a h u g e difference.
It should be set in law that each FTA main channels are in HD.
While were at it, fine Channel Seven for having no effort to put #AFLinHD

Flicked from Foxtel cricket coverage (sparkling HD on my expensive made for HD TV) to free to air cricket coverage to see the difference. Might as well have fished my old rank arena out of the back of the shed and put on a pair of beer goggles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back