Roast The Media Watch thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like The Age were beaten to Matthews attempted takeover at Brisbane and now they are declining to report much of the AOD stuff that has just come to light. Looks like they might have backed to wrong horse, I wonder if the wheels will start to fall off soon.

Hoping Robbo and Whately take offense to what was said on FC last night. Want them to rip into Carro and the constant bullshit she's throwing out

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ted-role-in-essendon-saga-20130822-2sdij.html

Not regarding the actual content of the article, but more the old headline, before someone changed it. It was originally titled "Tim Watson's Epic Fail As Voice Of Bomber Parents"

Epic Fail....

Epic fail? HOW OLD ARE THESE FREAKING SUB-EDITORS? It's the kind of rubbish, throw away line I've come to expect from my 13 year old sister, not as the headline of a story in The Age.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ted-role-in-essendon-saga-20130822-2sdij.html

Not regarding the actual content of the article, but more the old headline, before someone changed it. It was originally titled "Tim Watson's Epic Fail As Voice Of Bomber Parents"

Epic Fail....

Epic fail? HOW OLD ARE THESE FREAKING SUB-EDITORS? It's the kind of rubbish, throw away line I've come to expect from my 13 year old sister, not as the headline of a story in The Age.

i-have-no-idea-what-im-doing-dog.jpg

I think the media has to stop with the big headlines about the issue - it seems clear that the club presidents want the focus to be on football in coming weeks and that this saga be handled outside of the public domain by the afl and Essendon. The best result for the game would be that the media follow suit.

I think the media has to stop with the big headlines about the issue - it seems clear that the club presidents want the focus to be on football in coming weeks and that this saga be handled outside of the public domain by the afl and Essendon. The best result for the game would be that the media follow suit.

That's a good point. It goes along the same lines as the media taking about 'the good of the game' and then acting in a manner befitting anything but that.

To take a slightly different interpretation of the thread title, I served David Schwarz at my work just a little earlier, and jeez if you guys think robbo looks liquored up on 360 then.. :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolute disgrace how they can get that up there, just by labeling it as an opinion piece.

OPINION: Hey, Essendon fans, the AFL has stripped points off you.
Never mind.
Here are 10 easy ways to enjoy the September finals your team won't be playing in.
Buy a really big straw
and suck it up

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/wi...do-during-finals/story-fndv7pj3-1226704466358

I feel for you guys and hope none of you give up on your team because of it. Hopefully Carlton don't make it at your expense

Epic Fail....

It's click-bait. Make it sound sensational to draw clicks. Change the headlines, to get different people clicking and staying on the page for longer.

Sub-editors are always blamed for these things. Chief editors have a lot of say in how headlines are framed, especially within the Murdoch style of 'editing' (which Fairfax, with Rinehart's money, seems to be embracing) and especially now the sub-editing is often outsourced to Pagemasters. But as soon as it's wrong or people complain the editor always blames the Subbies.

Another prime example of how bad the media is, was shown today in the HS with front and back page showing buddy and the headline "I LOVE SYDNEY"

Read the article and nowhere in the piece was buddy quoting "I LOVE SYDNEY"

Poor, really poor.

Another prime example of how bad the media is, was shown today in the HS with front and back page showing buddy and the headline "I LOVE SYDNEY"

Read the article and nowhere in the piece was buddy quoting "I LOVE SYDNEY"

Poor, really poor.
I agree. They've officially lost it. I don't think I'll buy another paper after this election campaign. Maybe the Guardian can poach Fairfax's best sports writers...? Wishful thinking, I know.

I actually found this quite funny from Furrowed Brow:

'Finally Thompson conceded that Stuart Crameri will likely leave the club given his determination to get to the Western Bulldogs.

Essendon has seemed a club in denial so often this past year.

In denial about AFL penalties, in denial that they did anything wrong at all in 2012, in denial that anyone would dare leave the grand, mighty Essendon football club.

Yet if their refusal to accept Crameri would ever leave them for the lowly Bulldogs smacked of arrogance, hopefully that disdainful attitude might be waning.'

Hahahahaha what?! He is trying to start something where there is nothing. I've heard a number of people mention the idea that Crameri is leaving a team that would appear to be closer to challenging for a flag to a team 're-building' but none of the crap he has spouted there. Had Crameri left for the Dogs of 3-4 years ago, it'd still be disappointing, but perfectly understandable considering they were only a key forward or two away from genuinely winning it. This idea about 'lowly' Bulldogs could refer to ladder position and nothing else.

It's a little like Barrett- this ASADA thing has revealed a dislike of the Bombers that now seems to manifest itself every other article they write. Sad little men.

Infractions is just upset at the abuse some fans gave him over Twitter throughout this saga. He alienates us and attacks us at every possible chance, and hopes that we have our list wiped out even if nothing wrong went on, and then complains like a little girl when the fans of said club have a crack at him

I will never forget him uttering the words "the story that keeps on giving" with a high degree of delight in his voice with Bartlett grinning so big next to him he couldnt speak. Dont listen to that show anymore and I dont miss it.
Apart from Ralph not being able to contain himself and having a dig at us re: Crameri, I thought his article was a step in the right direction in regards to the positive/negative tone. It was mostly positive. And I suppose it was an article that someone like Ralph had to write to move onto the hopefully next positive/happy phase for the EFC. Wont say he wont have plenty more overly lazy/negative/sensationalist/unbalanced etc articles and comments to utter but its a start I suppose.

What im finding interesting atm is the use of "Bombers" in a headline followed by a nothing article. (Jale Niall step right up). These floundering news outlets have had a great year this year. Got a feeling a few vultures out there are simply using this tactic to keep these "hits" coming.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back