The Melbourne City Thread

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm reading that the red and white is in fact our home kit and the white with sky blue is the away.

Where from?

The club has been quite adamant that the new white shirt will be for home games.

I am delighted to confirm the appointment of Nike as the official on-field kit supplier to Melbourne City FC and to reveal the two kit designs our players will be wearing in the Hyundai A-League 2014-15 season. The partnership with Nike is an exciting development that will ensure Melbourne City FC will be competing in kit and equipment of the highest quality.

The Home Kit combines the white from the Club’s original kits with the signature blue of its sister clubs in Manchester and New York. The Away Kit celebrates the Club’s history with its red and white stripes. Both will be available for order in advance of the upcoming season.

Yours sincerely,

Ferran Soriano

CEO, City Football Group (majority owners of Melbourne City FC)

Matt Windley from the H-S was interviewed on SEN earlier. When he was asked about the Australian marquee, he was still speaking about Bresciano and Kennedy being the two most likely, which presumably means Bresciano is by no means out of the running.

Where from?

The club has been quite adamant that the new white shirt will be for home games.

Matt Windley from the H-S was interviewed on SEN earlier. When he was asked about the Australian marquee, he was still speaking about Bresciano and Kennedy being the two most likely, which presumably means Bresciano is by no means out of the running.

Well that shut me up. Read it in a tweet or something.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
If I wanted to defect (well, not really, I only say I supported Victory because I went to that Liverpool game) would I be welcomed or told to sod off?
All are welcome.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
If I wanted to defect (well, not really, I only say I supported Victory because I went to that Liverpool game) would I be welcomed or told to sod off?

I've had at least four mates (foundation Victory members) defect already and couldn't be happier. Might actually have someone to grab a drink with after the game now. They're genuine City fans, from the days that they were premier league also-rans...and worse. They actually got me on to City in the early-mid 00s. I've always found it much more fun to support a battler in the EPL, so lost a bit of interest when they commenced the arms race, but have always had a soft spot for ManC. I guess I'll be jumping back on them this year and beyond.

If my mates are anything to go by, it's not us you have to worry about; it's the Victory brethren that you are leaving behind. If you aren't going to have any mates devastated with your decision, then get on board immediately, I say.

I've had at least four mates (foundation Victory members) defect already and couldn't be happier. Might actually have someone to grab a drink with after the game now. They're genuine City fans, from the days that they were premier league also-rans...and worse. They actually got me on to City in the early-mid 00s. I've always found it much more fun to support a battler in the EPL, so lost a bit of interest when they commenced the arms race, but have always had a soft spot for ManC. I guess I'll be jumping back on them this year and beyond.

If my mates are anything to go by, it's not us you have to worry about; it's the Victory brethren that you are leaving behind. If you aren't going to have any mates devastated with your decision, then get on board immediately, I say.
Well I'm a Liverpool fan (again, started the day I went to the game I went to the G) so it's not that.

It's more I'm loving seeing City nee Heart go from being mocked openly by floggish, arrogant Victory supporters to suddenly "ohhh s**t". And Victory supporters. Good god, talk about a superiority complex. That whole farce with the "Active" supporters acting like over entitled children. Get the * over yourselves.

I can't wait til they stop singing "there's only one team in Melbourne" after we start dominating them.
Just the stuff you'd see on Twitter and the official FB page and the like. Really made you think "Do I really want to be associated with these flogs?"

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Well I'm a Liverpool fan (again, started the day I went to the game I went to the G) so it's not that.

It's more I'm loving seeing City nee Heart go from being mocked openly by floggish, arrogant Victory supporters to suddenly "ohhh s**t". And Victory supporters. Good god, talk about a superiority complex. That whole farce with the "Active" supporters acting like over entitled children. Get the **** over yourselves.

I couldn't agree more. And all this manufactured hatred of us. I wasn't a big one for Victory from the start because of Geoff Lord's involvement, but obviously, as the only game in town I'd go to a few games and they were nominally my team. But as soon as Heart came along, I switched straight over. Still got mates who are Victory members, often go to the games and have nothing against them.

I can also guarantee you that a red shirt will be not only accepted at home games, but encouraged.

Active supporters, in general, seem like a bit of a strange bunch to me. I think most of the time, the people who want to be in charge of something like that are probably the last people who should be. 'Yarraside' has pulled up stumps with the announced club changes and a new supporter group 'Melburnians' (with a cringeworthy '1847' as part of the logo/merchandise/social media handle) has popped up. They'll probably start doing the Poznan at games if we're not careful.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Just the stuff you'd see on Twitter and the official FB page and the like. Really made you think "Do I really want to be associated with these flogs?"

Every Melbourne Heart club post will always have close to 50% comments from Victory supporters. With most of them probably never grasping the fact that by 'liking' the page in the first place, they were actually helping the club.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Might as well get some pictures of the kit up. Think they both look great, though I'm a bit disappointed about not going with red shorts away (how can we have the same shorts for both?). Interesting choice to go with sky blue names and numbers on the back, instead of stock-standard black/white (like we had on our previous away kit, for example), but I think it looks fantastic. I like the socks too.

It's more I'm loving seeing City nee Heart go from being mocked openly by floggish, arrogant Victory supporters to suddenly "ohhh s**t". And Victory supporters. Good god, talk about a superiority complex. That whole farce with the "Active" supporters acting like over entitled children. Get the **** over yourselves.
Original reason why I defected. Didn't get much into the A-League but when I saw the way quite a few of my mates (Victory supporters) acted when Heart was announced I said "* this, I'm going for the Heart". Convinced my dad and my sister to defect with me too :D.

Of course, being a Manchester United fan it was a bitter pill to swallow when City took over, but I can safely support Melbourne City and hate Manchester City at the same time.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
I've seen a few people have noted that because the white panel for the sponsor logo extends all the way to the sleeves (i.e. there are no uninterrupted red stripes on the front, because the panel splits them), there is a sneaky (but quite apparent) 'MH' formed by the middle three red and two white stripes and the collar.

:thumbsu:

I've seen a few people have noted that because the white panel for the sponsor logo extends all the way to the sleeves (i.e. there are no uninterrupted red stripes on the front, because the panel splits them), there is a sneaky (but quite apparent) 'MH' formed by the middle three red and two white stripes and the collar.

:thumbsu:
Love it!

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
Original reason why I defected. Didn't get much into the A-League but when I saw the way quite a few of my mates (Victory supporters) acted when Heart was announced I said "**** this, I'm going for the heart.

Of course, being a Manchester United fan it was a bitter pill to swallow when City took over, but I can safely support Melbourne City and hate Manchester City at the same time.
Haha I'm in the exact same situation.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Will be an upgrade on Redmayne

I don't mind Redmayne. He just has a habit of making the difficult look easy and the easy look difficult at times. A bit timid too about when he should and shouldn't come off his line, which is never a desirable trait for a goalkeeper. It does put the club in a bit of an awkward position though, because they could approach it with two, almost diametrically opposed actions. They can either give Redmayne the #1 spot immediately (pretty much as Heart did last year, to mixed results) and hope that it builds his confidence to be unequivocal in his decision making. Or, they can say to him and Velaphi that the starting goalkeeper position is up for grabs and wish them the best of luck in the preseason.

To me, Redmayne seems like he has all the tools to be a good 'keeper. Besides his kicking, which is appalling.

BomberWatson

Club Legend
Feb 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
I can't wait til they stop singing "there's only one team in Melbourne" after we start dominating them.
Really, all things considered, we've come pretty close to doing that already (especially early on in our existence).

Really, all things considered, we've come pretty close to doing that already (especially early on in our existence).
It's 4-4, with us having the biggest win. We also have Villa for the first Derby this season.

BomberWatson

Club Legend
Feb 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Like the back of the home jerseys, the sky blue names and numbers adds a bit more personality to what is a clean, but admittedly somewhat bland kit.

Back