The Melbourne City Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

city spending a 17 day pre season at carrington, facing bury, oldham and bolton as friendlies. the whole academy and everything being built at the etihad is one of the best around, not to mention all the training stuff being world class. huge opportunity for everyone involved.

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Club-news/2014/July/Melbourne-City-at-Carrington
Spoke to one of the young guys last week who was really looking forward to the trip after being over there a few months ago. Got to mingle a train with the Man City first team. Great experience and they will only benefit from the exposure.

I'm on board with Melbourne City.

I used to go to Adelaide City Juventus games growing up but never embraced Adelaide United (maybe the Red and the United bit...) and after leaving Adelaide in 98 I have lived in other states but couldn't bring myself to support the Roar or Sydney FC (despite that beautiful blue) and as such have followed the A-League without ever supporting anyone.

I now have a home.

WhyAlwaysMe are you with me?

I'm on board with Melbourne City.

I used to go to Adelaide City Juventus games growing up but never embraced Adelaide United (maybe the Red and the United bit...) and after leaving Adelaide in 98 I have lived in other states but couldn't bring myself to support the Roar or Sydney FC (despite that beautiful blue) and as such have followed the A-League without ever supporting anyone.

I now have a home.

WhyAlwaysMe are you with me?
Melbourne City all the way!

In the early days I followed Adelaide United but I've really turned off the club so much to a point where I really dislike them. The first game after the takeover was here in Adelaide against United. I went that day as a Melbourne fan and haven't turned back. Will most likely get a membership and attend games here in Adelaide and go over to Melbourne for a couple... unless I move to Melbourne which is a chance then I'll probably just get a season ticket.

City Watch ‏@City_Watch 1m
City midfielder George Evans + former City academy duo James Poole and Chris Chantler played as trialists for @MelbourneCity vs. Bury today.

george evans has been on the bench for at least 1 champions league game. very impressive youngster. had a loan from october onwards at crewe, making 20+ appearances.

It's the first (supposedly) serious hit-out the club is having, at home, as Melbourne City. Should have been played in Melbourne without question, as far as I'm concerned. Especially when City played its first practice match in Ballarat a couple of weeks ago.

It's the first (supposedly) serious hit-out the club is having, at home, as Melbourne City. Should have been played in Melbourne without question, as far as I'm concerned. Especially when City played its first practice match in Ballarat a couple of weeks ago.

But the whole point of the cup is to play in regional Australia early on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

is this deadset the whole point of the cup?

fmd

Early on.

That's why it is including all those teams and such.

It's one game. Hardly a big deal.

But the whole point of the cup is to play in regional Australia early on.

If the club had been drawn to play against a team from Ballarat, it would be fair enough to play there. Why play two games in Ballarat (the second one being a 'home' fixture), in the space of a month, when you are yet to play in your home city?

Early on.

That's why it is including all those teams and such.

It's one game. Hardly a big deal.

all 3 all a-league cup ties are being played in regional places

honestly it just dampens the value of the cup if clubs are being forced to play away from their home ground

So much angst over the venue of the game.

I only see positives out of this (not including the fact I'm from Ballarat so it works in my favour).

It further strengthens the connection between MCFC and Ballarat and helps promote the game (ALeague) to the regional areas of the country. I have a Country Membership for MCFC and I think it's a great way for people like myself to get into the game. At a reduced cost I get to pick 5 games to attend for the year (as travelling 100k every second week just isnt worth it).

Promote the game, promote the club. Perfect!

Clubs would lose money if they played at the big stadiums. Having 500 people turning up to watch Wellington play on a Tuesday night doesn't appeal to anyone.

Melbourne City is a pretty obvious exception. The new team is yet to play in Melbourne. Duff will play. An (as yet unsigned) marquee may play. Sydney FC is the opponent. I would be shocked if the game didn't get more than the 6kish that was pretty standard for most of Heart's home games last year.

Melbourne City is a pretty obvious exception. The new team is yet to play in Melbourne. Duff will play. An (as yet unsigned) marquee may play. Sydney FC is the opponent. I would be shocked if the game didn't get more than the 6kish that was pretty standard for most of Heart's home games last year.
Even on a Tuesday night? Villa and Lampard won't be there yet will they?

The hard core supporters would turn up but I think a lot of the new supporters that have come across in the off season wouldn't bother until the season proper.

Even on a Tuesday night?

Yes. Especially if it's not a broadcast game.

The hard core supporters would turn up but I think a lot of the new supporters that have come across in the off season wouldn't bother until the season proper.

I disagree. I think the vast majority of Melbourne-based members would turn up to get a first look at their new team. And in any event...why play another game in Ballarat?

I disagree. I think the vast majority of Melbourne-based members would turn up to get a first look at their new team. And in any event...why play another game in Ballarat?

Don't forget Ballarat is only an hour drive away from the city so the time to get there isn't that bad. You could still finish your job at 5pm get there just after 6 have some dinner in town then watch the game and still be home by about 11:30pm (depending on where in Melbourne you live. Takes me 2 hours to reach Ringwood and that late at night traffic will be at a minimum)

Don't forget Ballarat is only an hour drive away from the city so the time to get there isn't that bad. You could still finish your job at 5pm get there just after 6 have some dinner in town then watch the game and still be home by about 11:30pm (depending on where in Melbourne you live. Takes me 2 hours to reach Ringwood and that late at night traffic will be at a minimum)

I wouldn't even consider going to a mid-week game in Ballarat, sorry.

Does anyone know how the arrangement with the guest visas will work? Are Villa and Lampard going to be here at the same time or is it going to be one after the other in 10 game stints?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back