The Melbourne City Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So many duds that we have to get rid off.

Wielart and Williams need to go and so do Ramsey and Murdocca. Wielart is just dumb and slow in the deffence. I understand he is old and slow but then you need to have another asset that minimizes your deficiencies which for him would be to be smart and be creative with his passing but he cant pass to save his life. Cabbage!

As for Williams, I know he was second on the goal tally last season but he scores a goal for every ten shots he has and that's not good enough. If we had a decent striker we would be competing a lot more and would have had better results. Funnily enough though I love the guy and he is my favorite player because I have met him on several occasions and he is great lad but he is not a good player.

Ramsey, he is just rubbish, nothing else to add.

Murdocca is another one that people either love or hate him and I am on the like but to go train. He is no good, he looks like he is trying and he is trying but that's all he has for him, he is not damaging at all. The word "passenger" is the correct word to describe him. You feel bad to drop him because he tries so hard but he adds absolutely nothing to the team.

The only shining light this season for us is Mooy but he will be gone soon along with Duff and we will be stuck with nothing. We are a team full of old players and just continue to replace players with old players. It's going to be a tough season again but I think we should be fine in avoiding 10 spot again. 8-9 is where we will finish IMO.

Williams is better as the second striker, can see him being a lot better once Kennedy comes in.

Feeling really confident for Sunday.

Interesting fact, we have more wins against the Roar than any other club in the A-league. Pretty surprising when you consider the Roar have been very strong the whole time Heart/City have existed.

Should we play Chapman ahead of Wielart against the Roar?
I doubt playing a youngster like Chapman over an experienced player like Wielart will make much of a difference. City need a proper LB since Ramsey is far from one and defends like he has no idea what he's doing.

Williams is better as the second striker, can see him being a lot better once Kennedy comes in.
Pinning hopes on 34+ yo players is fraught with disappointment. JK has a long history, does he not, of being injured.
That said,we miss Orlando Engelaar a lot this season; he made a massive difference last year.
Losing C Good, and B Hamill some seasons ago- these are the types we need to recruit. Connor Chapman is one like that- will be great when he plays. Looking more fwd to that than JK, tbh.
If we went on a definite youth and development policy, we could perhaps accept some losses, but I'm not happy picking up blokes ready to retire thinking the A-League will be a nice little $ earner . It clearly is a tougher competition than what some of these mid 30's think.
Fred, HK, Grella... once injuries recur in older players, they are more out than in.
Anyway, I don't think it's a great look that we keep blaming the coaches- 2 in 2 seasons! High time our touted players stand up and produce.

Last edited:
All the guys I gave a spray on here a few days ago started on the bench today and so far it's looking good.

Didn't think Wielart would start on the bench but JVS made the right call same with Ramsey. I can't wait for Koren and Kennedy to come in after the break.

Hoping we can hold on to this lead.

Great defence. Absolutely great defensive performances.

Velaphi looks far more comfortable in goals to Redmayne.

Hoffman had a few moments but was overall okay.

Chapman. Oh my lord he was exciting. A few of his balls just looked like absolute quality. The pressure on McKay's shot that hit the crossbar probably got us over the line.

Kisnorbo was just a strong, solid captain again. Did his job well.

Garruccio was miles better than Ramsey in defence.

Melling was promising again, hopefully has the fitness to run out 90 minutes soon.

Mooy is the best player we have by a mile. Seriously, he is as good as McKay and approaching Broich's level.

Paartalu was solid again, his chance was a good one but ah well.

Dugandzic was quiet in the first half but won us the penalty so gets a pass mark.

Brown worked hard and will be a good player in the future.

Duff had his worst game for us but he'll bounce back.

Williams was poor when he came on IMO, probably starts on the bench again next week.

Ramsey was quiet as well, but by then we were playing defensively and didn't have much chance to impact forward.

Murdocca really didn't have enough time to impact the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still nothing to get excited about. We were pretty horrible in the first half and that penalty was pretty lucky. That said, to keep a clean sheet and get the win should hopefully give us something to build on for next week.
More relief then happiness.

Quick question, is there a dedicated pub/bar/meeting area for supporters of City. Wouldn't mind having a few beers with a large group before the derby next weekend. I know the Imperial used to be, not sure if it still is? Cheers.

No Milligan for Victory.

Will be interesting to see how we line up with no duff.

Dugangzic - Williams
Mooy
Melling - Murdocca
Paartalu
? - Chapman - Kisnorbo - ?
Velaphi

I'm expecting:

Velaphi
Hoffman - Chapman - Kisnorbo - Garrucio
Mooy - Paartalu - Melling
Duff - Brown - Dugandzic​

Duff is gone until the new year and laughing at Brown as central striker. This is a pisstake right?

Koren should at least be on the bench.

Duff is gone until the new year and laughing at Brown as central striker. This is a pisstake right?

Koren should at least be on the bench.
Ah, didn't know that first bit. Slide Brown onto the right and Williams in the centre.

Ah, didn't know that first bit. Slide Brown onto the right and Williams in the centre.

I'm sad it wasn't a piss take. Brown as central striker? Dude, come on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back