The Melbourne City Thread

My point is that it's a final we're talking about and I'd rather it be played in an empty stadium if it gives my team a better chance of winning. Plus, of course, the atmosphere at this year's AAMI derby blew either of the Etihad games away. Not because City was on the right end of that one, but because the game was not well and truly decided with half an hour left, unlike the two Etihad games.
I'd like to go to any final in Melbourne rather than travel to Sydney, just my own preference. We are as likely to beat Melbourne here as we are to win in Sydney, imho; not worried about our previous performances.

Last edited:

Horts

Club Legend
Jun 15, 2014
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Leeds United, Melbourne City
True, but doesn't mean we'd do that again.
Also, with AFL full on, what chance the final is at AAMI?

I'm not %100 certain, but I think the line was crossed through AAMI a while ago due to Melbourne Storm & Rebels commitments.

treegreen

Team Captain
Oct 13, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Nottingham Forest, Melbourne Heart
Velaphi has kept 8 clean sheets now from 15 starts. Only 1 short of leading the league and clearly leading in clean sheet per games played. Whole team should be proud of that.

Strange to find myself supporting MV over their last few games.
Should Roar win the next 2, and we lose both, we could still miss finals.
I suspect Glory will use legal stalling tactics so as to get to play finals, then go through their hearings.
I am not convinced we are safe yet. In short, we MUST beat Perth on Sunday.
But, fortunately, we will know our fate on Saturday night. Should MV win again, we are safe.
I just wonder how Glory will react this week. They got the verdict sprung on them just prior to their game, deflating++. I suspect they will be venomous on Sunday, our game might be hot.

Last edited:
Strange to find myself supporting MV over their last few games.
Should Roar win the next 2, and we lose both, we could still miss finals.
I suspect Glory will use legal stalling tactics so as to get to play finals, then go through their hearings.
I am not convinced we are safe yet. In short, we MUST beat Perth on Sunday.
But, fortunately, we will know our fate on Saturday night. Should MV win again, we are safe.
I just wonder how Glory will react this week. They got the verdict sprung on them just prior to their game, deflating++. I suspect they will be venomous on Sunday, our game might be hot.

Zero chance that Perth play finals this season and with the third notice they'll be deducted points next season as well.

Zero chance that Perth play finals this season and with the third notice they'll be deducted points next season as well.
On SEN yesterday, there was def speculation by one of the Amigos, that Perth could use appeals etc. to stall proceedings. They might argue that FFA may not have the power to prevent them playing finals. But if they don't, who does?
I hope you are correct. But still, it would be good to beat the cheats just pre finals anyway.

On SEN yesterday, there was def speculation by one of the Amigos, that Perth could use appeals etc. to stall proceedings. They might argue that FFA may not have the power to prevent them playing finals. But if they don't, who does?
I hope you are correct. But still, it would be good to beat the cheats just pre finals anyway.

Perth is also going through the FFA appeal process and not the courts to prevent ruining the "finals". Seriously though with a third notice being issued they are dead and buried, sports don't usually get these things wrong.

Joker91

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 3, 2012
Tigerland
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Perth have accepted the sanctions and officially won't be playing finals.

No Kennedy, Jaliens, Melling or Safuwan this weekend. Stefan Mauk has travelled with the team so could play his first game this season.

treegreen

Team Captain
Oct 13, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Nottingham Forest, Melbourne Heart
First season we cracked 10,000 average attendance. Pretty good when you consider we only had 1 derby this year too.

26_Miles

Club Legend
Jul 26, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
That was a classic heart/city game. Should have been 2-0/3-0 up in the first half honestly, so many chances hit straight at the keeper/over the bar/wide and then Of course they get the first goal just before the half after barley looking like scoring.

The second yellow card to Retre was way over the top and the wrong call IMO, didn't really have anywhere to go in that challenge. Rough, especially considering he'd just received a yellow.

Mooy is just awesome.

Back