Scape Goat The MFC Truth and Reconciliation Commission is in session

Remove this Banner Ad

I honestly believed, with 100% of my being, that Jack Watts was going to be a star. I've made several large bets with mates over the years that will see me shelling out large amounts of cash if he doesn't end up as a triple brownlow medal, Coleman medal, norm smith medal winning premiership captain. (It's why I'm so bitter now; I have learnt my lesson wrt high expectations on draft picks though.)

Likewise, I had complete faith in Neeld turning the club around...

I am scepticle of Paul Roos level of commitment to his task.

Likewise, until I was 14.

Paul Kelly and Stuey Maxfield were my heroes, of course plugger as well
Probably due to eat some humble pie over Neville Jetta... providing he doesn't come back and play garbage next season.

I'm quite comfortable with the rest of my whipping boys though. You will not see a message in here re: Chris Dawes, I guarantee you that. Even if he kicks 60+ goals for the next 5 years (per year).

Haven't abused anyone at the grounds as I've only been to a few games and I just tend to sit there drinking beers wondering why I thought watching us lose at the ground is better than watching at the pub or in the comfort of your own home.

So, not much of a confession.

Thats almost a given, I wouldnt be surprised if Rd1 next year in the second minute he goes across the face of goals and kicks it onto the FF's chest

Paul Kelly and Stuey Maxfield were my heroes, of course plugger as well

For some reason I really liked Rowan Warfe. I don't know why. I also really disliked Peter Filandia too... probably because he wasn't very good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3) I believed the Mark Neeld Method would come good until half time in Round 1 2013.
It's a funny one, that. I was the same. I put it down to a combination of "new coach syndrome" (new cliches, new hope) and annual pre-season optimism for the penny not to drop sooner.

Probably one that looks silly for me now is getting on the turps the night after Scully's 39 touches in the wet, and telling my mates he was the best young player I had ever seen.

I cracked the shits with footy between early 1995 and mid 1997, missing the opportunity to spaz over the proposed merger. I was young enough at the time to claim that I was going to follow Freo if the merger went down, but who knows if I'd have had the grapefruits to follow through with it. I pledge to make up for not being there last time by going absolutely off my tree the next time somebody tries to put our club away.

At quarter time of Round 21 1997 against St Kilda after Jason Heatley had kicked five goals I ironically yelled "up the Redlegs" down the stairwell of the old Olympic Stand, somebody yelled back "WHAT A NTTAWWT!" and as un-PC as this was it always makes me laugh thinking about it.

I missed the Round 21, 2004 loss against Carlton at Princes Park because I was so hungover that halfway down St Kilda Road I had to get off the tram and throw up on the centre nature strip at the intersection of Commercial Road in full view of hundreds of passing cars, pedestrians and public transport users.

In 2008 I snuck an in-kind sponsorship deal between my work and the MFC through the approval process without anybody noticing until it was actually taking place.

So many memories...

It's a funny one, that. I was the same. I put it down to a combination of "new coach syndrome" (new cliches, new hope) and annual pre-season optimism for the penny not to drop sooner.

Probably one that looks silly for me now is getting on the turps the night after Scully's 39 touches in the wet, and telling my mates he was the best young player I had ever seen.

I don't know if I ever believed Neeld was going to be the coach we needed, more just hoped things would start to click and we'd improve. Before the Essendon Friday night 150 point extravaganza, that footage of him "motivating" the troops was the moment when the hope died. It would have been more inspiring if he'd pulled out an old 51 cm school-style TV on wheels and put Braveheart on for the playing group.

I don't know if I ever believed Neeld was going to be the coach we needed, more just hoped things would start to click and we'd improve. Before the Essendon Friday night 150 point extravaganza, that footage of him "motivating" the troops was the moment when the hope died. It would have been more inspiring if he'd pulled out an old 51 cm school-style TV on wheels and put Braveheart on for the playing group.

That was the worst part. No sign of any of that at the game. Just hope and s**t talk...and then the game.

Apparently Tommy Raudonikus showed footage of Auschwitz to gee up the boys at Western Suburbs for a game so stranger things have happened.

Not that I like comparing our code to the meat-heads in the NSWRL/ARL/NRL.

Damn I feel like such a rookie compared to you guys :( my worst is snapping a couple chairs at the G (vs Port in 2007 when we lost by 5 points and when Frawley ****ed up a kickout vs the Dogs in 2010) and throwing a footy off the 3rd tier when we ****ed up another kickout vs the Hawks in 2011. I also thought Watts was going to be a star right up until halfway through this year, and thought Bailey would turn us into the next Geelong (I still maintain he was sacked unfairly though).

If Melbourne had merged in the 90's, I was going to switch to Richmond :oops: So in a parallel universe I still would've ended up with the same amount of misery averaged out over that time anyway... fml

Remove this Banner Ad

Back