The most comprehensive Ablett video ever produced

Remove this Banner Ad

Unparalleled as always Bobby…

Much like #5 himself..

I will say this about the current #5 however.

I see similar things in relation to the thighs and hips. They are both very solid in that region and stable on the move. And seeing them both move, you can see why.

GO Catters

Ablett Senior highlights from season 1989.

I'm looking for any video footage from this particular year of football. I know there are still a few more games out there which were televised so if you do happen to have anything I'm missing, please contact me as I'm happy to pay for footage.

Here is a list of the footage I currently have from 89:

Panasonic cup, Geelong v Essendon (missing 10 minutes of 2nd quarter)
Panasonic cup, Geelong v Carlton (missing parts of the 4th quarter)
Panasonic cup GF, Melbourne v Geelong
Reserves GF, Geelong v Fitzroy
Fosters World Cup, Geelong v Melbourne (Toronto, USA)
State Of Origin, VIC def WA (WACA)
r2, West Coast v Geelong (2nd half replay)
r3, Carlton v Geelong (40 minutes)
r4, Geelong v Footscray (2nd half, 43 mins)
r6, Hawthorn v Geelong
r9, Geelong v Richmond (very brief highlights)
r10, Collingwood v Geelong (highlights + 4th replay)
r11, Essendon v Geelong (poor quality + no sound)
r12, Geelong v Melbourne (31 minutes)
r13, Sydney v Geelong (49 minutes)
r14, Geelong v Fitzroy (30 minutes)
r15, Brisbane v Geelong (missing 15 mins of 3rd quarter)
r16, Melbourne v Geelong (44 minutes)
r17, Collingwood v Geelong (41 minutes)
r20, West Coast v Geelong
r21, North Melbourne v Geelong (41 minutes)
QF, Essendon v Geelong
SF, Melbourne v Geelong
PF, Essendon v Geelong
GF, Hawthorn v Geelong

here is the magician at work, what more can i say

and im talking about both ablettt and booby

Unparalleled as always Bobby…

Much like #5 himself..

I will say this about the current #5 however.

I see similar things in relation to the thighs and hips. They are both very solid in that region and stable on the move. And seeing them both move, you can see why.

GO Catters

Steady………...

Steady………...

:D

That's where I draw the line mate.
No other comparisons drawn and I'm not placing expectations.

I just see that one thing. I've made a similar comment regarding Luxford as well.
Very solid, sublime mover and solid and stable thru the mid section.

Go Catters

:D

That's where I draw the line mate.
No other comparisons drawn and I'm not placing expectations.

I just see that one thing. I've made a similar comment regarding Luxford as well.
Very solid, sublime mover and solid and stable thru the mid section.

Go Catters

Bit like us mate…..:cool:

I dont suppose there is any footage of Abetts 1000th goal agaist Freo at Kardinia Park? Have ever been able to find anything
Footage definitely exists, it's on a few videos I have. Bobby_ might be able to help us out.

I'm looking for any video footage from this particular year of football. I know there are still a few more games out there which were televised so if you do happen to have anything I'm missing, please contact me as I'm happy to pay for footage.

That's all the footage I've ever seen. :thumbsu:

I believe the Round 22 game versus Richmond at Geelong was recorded with commentary, but I've never seen footage aside from (very) brief clips on the Sunday highlights program at the time.

Sensational work. This is the greatest year of football I've ever seen from one player, and I very much doubt that it'll be equalled. His finals series never will be.

I dont suppose there is any footage of Abetts 1000th goal agaist Freo at Kardinia Park? Have ever been able to find anything

Hi John

I just checked for that particular game and cannot find it. I know I did have highlights of all his 3 of his goals but it is a game I will end up buying from Name a Game as they have it in their archive (at least it is listed on their website).
Those later highlights are going to be included in his highlights reel which I will put up on YouTube soon. Still locating different bits and pieces in the meantime and adding them to the highlights reel.

As for 1989, I know there is still a great deal of stuff still out there which I'm eager to obtain. He took a couple of wonderful screamers against Brisbane in R8 and and another against Footscray in R19. Highlights of these games would be somewhere and it's just a matter of be patient and hoping a lead to some of that footage eventuates.

Hi John

I just checked for that particular game and cannot find it. I know I did have highlights of all his 3 of his goals but it is a game I will end up buying from Name a Game as they have it in their archive (at least it is listed on their website).
Those later highlights are going to be included in his highlights reel which I will put up on YouTube soon. Still locating different bits and pieces in the meantime and adding them to the highlights reel.

As for 1989, I know there is still a great deal of stuff still out there which I'm eager to obtain. He took a couple of wonderful screamers against Brisbane in R8 and and another against Footscray in R19. Highlights of these games would be somewhere and it's just a matter of be patient and hoping a lead to some of that footage eventuates.
You would have that on other compilation videos though Bobby_.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That Brisbane game is stunning to me, for all the wrong reasons. We won by 129 points; one of the bigger winning margins we've ever had (it certainly was then), he had 23 touches and kicked 4, and I can remember of this game - not a thing. And I was there too.

That's another reason the Richmond game in Round 22 would be great to get, as he kicked a 70m torpedo punt goal in the second quarter. Vividly recall (unlike the game above) the roar building up on the radio as the commentators lost their minds.

You would have that on other compilation videos though Bobby_.

Yep, it's on a cd somewhere and will try and find it later tonight.

Richmond game in Round 22 would be great to get, as he kicked a 70m torpedo punt goal in the second quarter.

I think he also took a terrific mark in that one too. The mark features on the bootleg video which is on YouTube (highlights reel 1-12) and he comes over the top of the defender to pinch the mark from out of his grasp. An alternate angle of that mark would be simply unreal as he had no right to even get near the ball let alone mark it.

I'd love to get footage of the goal you speak about. I am guessing it was similar to that torpedo he kicked against North Melbourne way back in 1985? Where he also took mark of the year. He booted a 70 metre torpedo punt goal off a couple of steps.

Anyone remember the night when it was pouring rain at waverley.
It was a pre season game.

The ball was kicked to ablett and it pretty much just plugged at about 51 metres out.

Ablett kicked it off the ground and it went straight through the middle? Now that was nuts.

I do remember it was Don Scott commentating.

Here is a list of the footage I currently have from 89:

Panasonic cup, Geelong v Essendon (missing 10 minutes of 2nd quarter)
Panasonic cup, Geelong v Carlton (missing parts of the 4th quarter)
Panasonic cup GF, Melbourne v Geelong
Reserves GF, Geelong v Fitzroy
Fosters World Cup, Geelong v Melbourne (Toronto, USA)
State Of Origin, VIC def WA (WACA)
r2, West Coast v Geelong (2nd half replay)
r3, Carlton v Geelong (40 minutes)
r4, Geelong v Footscray (2nd half, 43 mins)
r6, Hawthorn v Geelong
r9, Geelong v Richmond (very brief highlights)
r10, Collingwood v Geelong (highlights + 4th replay)
r11, Essendon v Geelong (poor quality + no sound)
r12, Geelong v Melbourne (31 minutes)
r13, Sydney v Geelong (49 minutes)
r14, Geelong v Fitzroy (30 minutes)
r15, Brisbane v Geelong (missing 15 mins of 3rd quarter)
r16, Melbourne v Geelong (44 minutes)
r17, Collingwood v Geelong (41 minutes)
r20, West Coast v Geelong
r21, North Melbourne v Geelong (41 minutes)
QF, Essendon v Geelong
SF, Melbourne v Geelong
PF, Essendon v Geelong
GF, Hawthorn v Geelong

Just sat and giggled like a school girl on her first date for the past half hour:D
It's easy to forget just how damaging he was when he played up the ground

Just sat and giggled like a school girl on her first date for the past half hour:D
It's easy to forget just how damaging he was when he played up the ground

Magnificent work as always Bobby_ - not just the compiling of the highlights, but the editing is always bang on too.

agree with your comment Cat Attack08; as a kid I don't think I always appreciated just how damaging Ablett was further up the field, mainly because I just wanted to see him slot more and more goals - his pre-season and early home&away season form in '89 playing in defense was a revelation - you can hear in the first of Bobby's videos, the game against the Bulldogs, which was round 4; the commentators (Peter McKenna?) talking about how Ablett leads 'straight up the ground' and waxing lyrical about 'the beauty of having a champion player at full-forward'). He'd just been swung forward for the first time in the season and promptly dobbed a couple of goals in what was a tight win - until that point in the season he'd played half-back, and snuck forward for a solitary goal - he only had 5 goals on the board after 5 rounds. He ended the season with 87 goals from 23 games (and nearly 20 touches a game).
Missed 3 matches for belting Garry Lyon off the ball; footage was inconclusive but Ablett 'fessed up.

But Bobby,……Hodgepodge told me Ablett only ever played full forward in reality, with occasional forays up to the half forward flank…..

Surely he can't be wrong…..

and true to form, go check out the latest post by none other than HP over on the videos and pics forum where I posted links to these YouTube videos :p

Hi John

Excellent, I would love to see it. Ive searched all over youtube and never found it. Thought it would be easily findable, pretty big milestone in AFL history. I remember I was there as a youngen that day, his 1000th goal sailed over my head. I ran on the ground, asked Stephen O'Reily for his autograph, he looked at me and said "No" and walked off.

Excellent, I would love to see it. Ive searched all over youtube and never found it. Thought it would be easily findable, pretty big milestone in AFL history. I remember I was there as a youngen that day, his 1000th goal sailed over my head. I ran on the ground, asked Stephen O'Reily for his autograph, he looked at me and said "No" and walked off.

I exchanged a word with the great man himself that day!
was one of the last off the ground, got quite close and got a 'thanks mate' from Gazza after congratulating him :D

He was probably feeling more than a bit jealous of GAS' popularity.

I'd love to get footage of the goal you speak about. I am guessing it was similar to that torpedo he kicked against North Melbourne way back in 1985? Where he also took mark of the year. He booted a 70 metre torpedo punt goal off a couple of steps.

I do know it was a set shot, unlike the North Melbourne one. That one is just out of this world. Degree of difficulty about 37 out of 10.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back