The Movie Thread

• Thread starter Old Spice
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Remove this Banner Ad

I saw 47 ronin the other day, it was actually alright. It has a few minor plot holes, but nothing movie destroying. The acting was ok with a few better performers here and there. It's looks very pretty and there are a lot of cool action scenes.

I would much rather see a realistic take on the 47 ronin tale, this one sort of jammed in a fantasy element that was cool, but not really necessary in my opinion.

A solid 3 stars out of 5 I'd say. If you like action movies, you could do a lot worse.

Last edited:
Have fun!

Monuments of Men does have a good cast, but doesn't seem like the movie for me. I have no interest in history, particularly WW1.
I'd see anything that George Clooney directs.

They really go all out, don't they? I thought it was good that they didn't try to sugar-coat any of it, and just unflinchingly show these people and their crazy lives.

I hope Leo finally gets an Oscar. He's up there with the greatest actors of all-time and he deserves to win one already.

Couldn't agree more.... Unfortunately i've since seen Dallas Buyers Club and 12 year a slave and he has some very stiff competition this year.

Went to see The Monuments of Men last night and came out a bit disappointed. Some good acting by Goodman and Murray and of course our Cate.
Story line is about a group of art curators/lovers that want to rescue artistic masterpieces stolen by the Germans during the war.
Interesting in some parts but also slow in other places. Damon and Clooney are nice eye candy.
Knew quite a bit about the story but didn't realise and had forgotten that the Russians also stole quite a few pieces.
Very distressing seeing how much was destroyed so no-one else could have them.
Interesting if you are into art. Didn't mind it but not sure that I would go and see it again.
Clooney's father is in the final scene.

Couldn't agree more.... Unfortunately i've since seen Dallas Buyers Club and 12 year a slave and he has some very stiff competition this year.
Although a good film, I thought that Dallas Buyers Club dragged out the story a bit too long with a drop off in intensity in the 2nd half.

Although a good film, I thought that Dallas Buyers Club dragged out the story a bit too long with a drop off in intensity in the 2nd half.

I'm talking about MM's (Not the bloke from Carlton) performance though.
Overall, WOWS was a better film.

Forgot to mention also saw shorts of Spiderman - looks good if you are into this type of movie (I am a comic freak from a very early age), also short of Bad Neighbourhood - looks very funny. Hopefully the shorts were not the only funny parts but I will be going.

Greatest Commando line:

'And if you want your kid back, then you've got to cooperate, right?'

'WRONG!' *Shoots him in the face.
I gotta get in on these Commando lines. :p

"Attention all units, emergency on theater level, suspect six foot two, brown hair. He is one gigantic motherfu****."

I gotta get in on these Commando lines. :p

"Attention all units, emergency on theater level, suspect six foot two, brown hair. He is one gigantic motherfu****."
One funny thing that I've noticed in Commando is that during the gigantic shootout he has with all those guys, they obviously used a smaller group of extras, so you see the same guys get killed about 10 times each. It's hilarious seeing the dude with the moustache magically re-appear after being killed two seconds ago.:D:thumbsu:

One funny thing that I've noticed in Commando is that during the gigantic shootout he has with all those guys, they obviously used a smaller group of extras, so you see the same guys get killed about 10 times each. It's hilarious seeing the dude with the moustache magically re-appear after being killed two seconds ago.:D:thumbsu:
I can't remember but maybe someone else can, is Commando the movie where the guy throws saw blades at people and kills them?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Holy crap, this is so epic!

this is not something to celebrate DT

Remember this is a true story and is obscene in it's excessiveness and greed - despite the humour in the film

this is not something to celebrate DT

Remember this is a true story and is obscene in it's excessiveness and greed - despite the humour in the film
Did you watch the video? The video isn't a "celebration of greed". It's a hilarious synchronization of a heavy metal song and what's happening on screen. It's a pretty amazing coincidence. I can't stop laughing every time I watch that video!:D:thumbsu:

And once again, Leonardo DiCaprio goes home from the Oscars empty handed. What does this guy have to do to win one? Easily one of the best actors ever in my opinion. Granted, I haven't seen Matthew McConaughey's performance and have heard nothing but positive things about him, but it was scary how good Leo was in The Wolf of Wall Street. He just fully became this awful, yet charismatic person. Amazing acting.

I think I'll watch Dallas Buyers Club tonight or tomorrow, so I'll have to see how McConaughey goes.

Dallas Buyers Club - a little slow in places, but a good movie. Great performances from Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto, but I still think Leo was very stiff to miss. It probably comes down to the content of the movies, where McConaughey's was the more emotional performance, while Leo was playing an out-of-control guy, which probably upset and offended a lot of people.

One day, Leo. One day.:(

Can anyone recommend a good Irish movie?

A classic
odd+man+out+poster.jpg

Great film directed by Ken Loach
windthatshakesthebarleycover.jpg

Meh. Thought Dallas Buyers Club was a lot better then Wolf on Wall Street and McConaughey was easily best actor. Stoked Leto got best supporting as well.
Not dissing McConaughey - great performance - but I preferred Leo's performance. I reckon most people would be split 50/50 between them.

Jared Leto was brilliant in his role. It was interesting watching the dynamic between those two.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back