The Movie Thread

• Thread starter Old Spice
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I saw Interstellar last week.

Thought it was brilliant.
Very complex, interesting, beautiful and fascinating.
Although I now need to do some research into the properties of gravity, and the law of relativity :)
Highly recommend it.

I saw Interstellar last week.

Thought it was brilliant.
Very complex, interesting, beautiful and fascinating.
Although I now need to do some research into the properties of gravity, and the law of relativity :)
Highly recommend it.

Just walked out the cinema, I agree :)

thecig

Club Legend
Sep 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man City, Bos. Celtics, Glas Celtic
I just came out of imax having seen it this afternoon. Really enjoyed it.

I read that Christopher Nolan (director) got paid $30m + 20%...

Must have been awesome in imax

Nolan is the in-demand director at the moment at Hollywood, not surprising he's raking in the cash.

Haven't seen Interstellar as I'm not really big on any of the cast or Nolan in particular but I'll have to check it out at some point.

eddiebankbalance

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 28, 2011
melb
AFL Club
Collingwood
Need help with a movie title.

An animated flick possibly set in France, if not France, then somewhere in Europe.

It's about a mother and son, the son becomes a professional cyclist and there is trouble brewing....

Oct 7, 2010
Melb
AFL Club
Collingwood
There's some brilliant movies on at the moment.

The Imitation Game is awesome (plus a whole lot of other things but I don't want to give anything away)
Really worth seeing.

St Vincent is a delight, and good for a laugh.

Stephen Sondheim's 'Into the Woods' is also fantastic. The lyrics in his songs are so clever. So many archetypes portrayed in this film.
Also some good laughs.

Recommend all three

Feb 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, Chicago Blackhawks

The Imitation Game is awesome (plus a whole lot of other things but I don't want to give anything away)
Really worth seeing.

Stephen Sondheim's 'Into the Woods' is also fantastic. The lyrics in his songs are so clever. So many archetypes portrayed in this film.
Also some good laughs.

Recommend all three
I saw the imitation game last week. It is fantastic.

Anyone that has an interest in WW2 history, or enjoys good acting and subtle humour, then go see it.

ottoman

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2014
Istanbul
AFL Club
Collingwood

Really worth seeing.

Also some good laughs.

Recommend all three
Just watched the imitation game after reading this post. Liked it a lot :thumbsu:

Dont bother with the Water Diviner, in which Russell Crowe does everything (including direct) and is in nearly every scene. Its excruciatingly bad. I was twisting in my seat with embarrassment. The story line is a ripper, but totally unbelieveable. Crowe wins every fight (including against 4 guys with only a cricket bat), the women love him, the children love him, he rides horses, has amazing powers of 'divining', is strong and manly, and sweet and gentle - all at the same time! Its like a 'boys own' adventure. The movie is intended to show what it was like for the 'other side' during WW1 (the Turks), which is admirable, but most of their characters are one dimensional. And most of the 'Turkish' women are thinly disguised Australian models or starlets (like Megan Gale) with very bad Turkish accents. The English characters are also cartoon-like and highly predictable. All up a woeful movie. I saw it with my sister and a friend, and all three of us wanted to walk out, but of course didnt want to waste our ticket money. Its more fun to whinge afterwards (like I'm doing now)!

Dont bother with the Water Diviner, in which Russell Crowe does everything (including direct) and is in nearly every scene. Its excruciatingly bad. I was twisting in my seat with embarrassment. The story line is a ripper, but totally unbelieveable. Crowe wins every fight (including against 4 guys with only a cricket bat), the women love him, the children love him, he rides horses, has amazing powers of 'divining', is strong and manly, and sweet and gentle - all at the same time! Its like a 'boys own' adventure. The movie is intended to show what it was like for the 'other side' during WW1 (the Turks), which is admirable, but most of their characters are one dimensional. And most of the 'Turkish' women are thinly disguised Australian models or starlets (like Megan Gale) with very bad Turkish accents. The English characters are also cartoon-like and highly predictable. All up a woeful movie. I saw it with my sister and a friend, and all three of us wanted to walk out, but of course didnt want to waste our ticket money. Its more fun to whinge afterwards (like I'm doing now)!
I disagree VP
I thought the movie was good. The woman you thought was Megan is in fact a famous French actress called Olga Kurylenko (James bond movie) and I thought it was well directed. The young boy was great.
The insight into Turkish history was intriguing.
I had seen an interesting documentary on the making of the film beforehand.
I went with my sister and brother in law. His heritage is Greek and his grandfather was born in Istanbul at this time and lived there for many years
Sure it was a bit of a fairytale but overall I thought a 3 star effort.

I disagree VP
I thought the movie was good. The woman you thought was Megan is in fact a famous French actress called Olga Kurylenko (James bond movie) and I thought it was well directed. The young boy was great.
The insight into Turkish history was intriguing.
I had seen an interesting documentary on the making of the film beforehand.
I went with my sister and brother in law. His heritage is Greek and his grandfather was born in Istanbul at this time and lived there for many years
Sure it was a bit of a fairytale but overall I thought a 3 star effort.

Ok, we'll have to disagree on this one MG. Also I'm not much of a movie buff, and generally don't enjoy going to them.

But I've got you on Megan Gale! She's in the credits, and is in the film!:D

Edit: I'm not referring to the main actress, she was good, probably the best in the film. Megan has a minor role, along with a former Neighbours star.

Last edited:
Ok, we'll have to disagree on this one MG. Also I'm not much of a movie buff, and generally don't enjoy going to them.

But I've got you on Megan Gale! She's in the credits, and is in the film!:D

Edit: I'm not referring to the main actress, she was good, probably the best in the film. Megan has a minor role, along with a former Neighbours star.
Missed her completely in that case :)

I saw the movie in early January and didn't think much of it. My wife thought it was pretty good though, Interesting.

Agree that it was completely unbelievable and if i want to see something so unbelievable i'd rather see The Hobbit or Star Wars.

Saw Megan Gale's name also in the credits and couldn't put a name to a face in the movie so she must have been good, NOT!

Has anybody else seen Son of God? I thought it was a seriously good movie but maybe not for everyone. Well worth a watch IMO, even coming from a NRD like myself.

I saw the movie in early January and didn't think much of it. My wife thought it was pretty good though, Interesting.

Agree that it was completely unbelievable and if i want to see something so unbelievable i'd rather see The Hobbit or Star Wars.

Saw Megan Gale's name also in the credits and couldn't put a name to a face in the movie so she must have been good, NOT!

Has anybody else seen Son of God? I thought it was a seriously good movie but maybe not for everyone. Well worth a watch IMO, even coming from a NRD like myself.
Believable?
Who knows
Strange and seemingly incredible things happen sometimes

I have an incredible story about Gallipoli
A friend of nine went to Anzac Cove with her 'war history' class. They had to walk the beach and select a fallen soldier and research his background and write a paper.
She's walking along trying to decide, reading the epitaphs etc when one in particular 'spoke to her' so she chose this young man.
You can imagine how random such a selection would be

When she began to research his history she discovered that he had grown up in the very same house that she and her husband had just purchased prior to her going to Turkey!

Believable?
Who knows

A friend of nine went to Anzac Cove with her 'war history' class. They had to walk the beach and select a fallen soldier and research his background and write a paper.
She's walking along trying to decide, reading the epitaphs etc when one in particular 'spoke to her' so she chose this young man.

When she began to research his history she discovered that he had grown up in the very same house that she and her husband had just purchased prior to her going to Turkey!
That would make a better movie than The Water Diviner

ottoman

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2014
Istanbul
AFL Club
Collingwood
haven't seen The Water Diviner. Seems to be some mixed reviews. Will check it out tonight.
I like this thread. Sometimes I get stuck for ideas as to what to watch and it's nice to come in here for some ideas.

Believable?
Who knows

That's spooky MG!

Back