Music The music thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Best live gigs of 2014, according to Gigwise...naturally, a mum in her mid-50s who hadn't performed in front of an audience for 35 years takes the chequered flag...

http://www.gigwise.com/reviews/96940/the-best-gigs-and-live-bands-of-2014

"Just saying it could even make it happen" - and it did...

An amazing feat when you think about her extended leave of absence from performing live. Her voice in the clip sounds incredible, as usual.

Conversely, this is the stuff of nightmares. :D

Luckily I only know two of those tracks. One I thought would've made the cut is Hangover by Psy and Snoop. Possibly the worst piece of "music" I've ever heard.

did better than jc, only know of 1 song and that is because i couldnt escape that one.

maybe if i had downloaded beyone like i have been meaning to i would have cracked 2.;)
Get out. I can't imagine you listening to Beyoncé in a million years.

I know 3 songs off Pivotonian's list-'Happy', 'Let it Go' and 'Riptide'-I quite like them all. :$

Get out. I can't imagine you listening to Beyoncé in a million years.

I know 3 songs off Pivotonian's list-'Happy', 'Let it Go' and 'Riptide'-I quite like them all. :$
Most of them were known to me. "Riptide" isn't terrible but it has suffered from over-exposure.

I'm sure there are worse out there.

Most of them were known to me. "Riptide" isn't terrible but it has suffered from over-exposure.

you both made me go back and listen to that song, and yes i have heard it, but via tv shows plugging shows with whimsical musac.

wasnt a fan myself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A New Year's song from me too. Have been listening to a bit of Otis today, his music always hits the spot. :)

Best wishes for the New Year music thread folks, and thanks for some awesome listening through the year. :thumbsu:

I'm on my last legs, NYE took it out of me big time this year. My lunch (and dinner) sounded similar to yours yesterday Shai.

But anyway, suppose this almost passes for a New Year's number. Mates and I give it a sing most NYE's :$

Any excuse for me to get this song in; after all it has the word YEAR.
A most beautiful and underrated song, and not entirely clear from the lyrics what it's about.
And it's not even part of the Chinese zodiac years, the cat was not included, replaced by the rabbit.
That's another story.

I'm on my last legs, NYE took it out of me big time this year. My lunch (and dinner) sounded similar to yours yesterday Shai.

But anyway, suppose this almost passes for a New Year's number. Mates and I give it a sing most NYE's :$

Love it Tom, hope you had a beauty! Getting excited coz that FF concert is not far away now.. Trip M has a prize draw to win tickets to an intimate concert in Hobart, that would be very :cool:

i can, and do, talk for hours about both those subjects if someone will let me. i would be thrilled to do the above. one of my mates in adelaide i met through playing in bands. we were chatting about the beatles the first time we met, he is a huge fan too. i told him there were two things i could talk forever on, the beatles and geelong. following footy is not that cool in the adelaide music scene (bit too 'blokey'), but it turned out he was a huge cats fan, too. hes moved to melbourne now, though.

its kind of a running joke with my friends - 'you know paul mccartney...', then queue the laughter as another conversation gets turned onto the beatles.

im an 80s kid, and i grew up with all those amazing bands too.

brian wilson has a claim to being a far better composer than any of the beatles, but he also wrote a lot of naff stuff. im a huge fan, but i dont see how the beach boys catalogue comes close to matching the beatles. too many misses. same with the stones, especially post mid-70s - they became a parody of themselves.

the white album itself displays perfectly why i place them well above every other 60s band - music hall jazz, screaming rock, acoustic country, electronic sound pastiche, beach boys knock offs, acoustic balladry, all done brilliantly, and all written by one person. then add lennon and harrisons broad contributions (all brilliant), and there you have it. stylistically diverse, brilliant in every style - no band can lay claim to that. the others were good at what they do, but the beatles were good at everything.

the beatles record (1962-70) - 14 albums, countless brilliant singles (which werent on albums), every single one a classic of popular music... they could write formulaic songs, but they could never write bad songs. and they werent taught, it was all intuition. and it was unbelieveable intuition.

have a close listen to 'she loves you', and pay attention to the chord change under - 'she said she loves you, and you know that cant be bad... yeah she loves you and you know that cant be bad'.

the chord under the bolded part is a C minor in the key of G major. technically, thats wrong - by music theory that is meant to be C major. but it is, in my opinion, the greatest chord change they wrote.

these days, changes like that are common place, but in the music of the time, it was almost exclusively the 3 major chords and one relative minor. but they went from 'love me do' to 'tomorrow never knows' in about 3 and a half years.

never rested on their laurels and pumped out an imitation of their previous single, never stuck with a winning formula. by the time everyone caught on to psychedelia, the beatles had moved onto stripped back acoustic music on the white album. soon, everyone had moved on from psychedelia, and were doing what the beatles had done.

they smashed the mould, and did it in only 8 years, and didnt dilute their legacy with reunions, or crappy albums in their 70s (though mccartney is laying claims to this as a solo artist unfortunately).

the beatles have a magic and listenability that no other band touches. no matter my mood, if the beatles go on, i will love listening. cannot say that about anything else.

and, legitimately unintentionally, ive ended up running my mouth over the beatles in written form :oops:

as per the above, i actually claim the beatles to be the most underrated band of all time. they are rated hugely, but not hugely enough. its not a popular opinion with my friends, but i have actually converted a few to that view. whether with compelling argument or belligerence, i do not know. im going with compelling argument though, at least in one case :)

some of the solo records are mind blowing! 'all things must pass', 'band on the run', 'mccartney' (released same time as let it be), 'imagine', 'plastic ono band'...

i was born in '84, so i missed the vibe surrounding them at the time, but i think it still exists.

agree re the downloading - anyone downloading the beatles is missing the point!

i blew more than a student can afford on both box sets. my collection has so many doubled up beatles songs, because i cant help buying everything they release, which these days has always been released previously.

the remasters were a brilliant new take on the old catalogue, though. love them.
I'm a huge fan of the Beatles too, but in the long run, (and I have been a 25x marathon runner), The Stones have done some things not possible for the Fab 4.
-Longevity
-They have continued to stay together and produce great music relevant to the time;
-They have taken on the changing face of music over the years and incorporated that into their own inimitable style with huge success=Start me up, Miss You
-They have done successfully what the Beatles stopped in 1966, LIVE performances on stage
So while I listen to the Beatles regularly, their contribution to us was as you said, very confined. The Stones are also musically geniuses and stand the test of time, which makes them so unique and special in my pov.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back