Music The music thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I have never even heard that.
You might have heard the Bruce Springsteen or Frankie Goes to Hollywood version VC. That one's a bit of a variation, but almost the same.

Geez, musical memories is tricky, but one I can remember is this AC/DC classic, mainly as it was filmed in Melbourne . Remember my mum telling me to 'keep away from that kind of music, as it'd lead to trouble'. Of course that only made me more interested;

That certainly brings back memories of a lot of late nights and early mornings in Carlton. ;)
Not sure if we're of the same vintage Fred, but I remember spending boozy nights in Carlton in the late 80's/early 90's (Nicholson's Hotel, Uni Hotel and the like), planning how we were gonna change the world.

Good times. :thumbsu:

Not sure if we're of the same vintage Fred, but I remember spending boozy nights in Carlton in the late 80's/early 90's (Nicholson's Hotel, Uni Hotel and the like), planning how we were gonna change the world.

Good times. :thumbsu:

The more things change...
20 years earlier it was much the same, in similar places, eg Poyntons, Naughtons, the Mayfair, etc. :p

A couple of really early Aussie songs in my memory bank

Really showing my age here, but the 60's music imho is just the best era ever, not that these are the greatest examples, but very earliest memories to add to the French song from above.

Last edited:
Probably my 1st musical memory was this Abba song. I was so young, and it sounded so fantastically good to me.
Think it shaped my love of pop music (maybe James1970 will understand lol!!!)

My younger sister's first love was ABBA, for obvious reasons, so I had a little love/hate towards them. Fernando being Number One on the charts for 156 weeks was torture worthy of the SS, but as I may have mentioned numerous times, S.O.S might just well be the most perfect pop song ever written and recorded. I just never tire of it's sublime, deeply emotional 'kick' - just the start with those simple downward notes on the piano. I tear up just thinking of those notes.

Music has been a part of my life since birth, but the first love was around age 5 and The Beatles, mainly due to the cartoon show that would play before school. The first record I ever bought was the 7" of Bowie's 'Heroes', followed by Kate Bush and 'Wuthering Heights' - both in 1978. I remember being upset that they didn't come in a picture sleeve - but I still have them and are still two of my favourite songs of all time.

Then Blondie fever hit in 1979 and I couldn't believe my ears and eyes. The run of those majestic singles - they still send shivers.

I never joined a band or bothered picking up a guitar because of Blondie - pop perfection had been reached. You would be silly even trying.

Awesome stuff James 1970. Great memories there.
Reminds me of an ABBA song that grows on me every time I hear it.

and another

I am an unashamed ABBA fan from way back, and I know that's not meant to be something to admit to for some reason , but... they were just brilliant melody makers, and so easy to listen to and look at.

Last edited:
Awesome stuff James 1970. Great memories there.
Reminds me of an ABBA song that grows on me every time I hear it.

and another

I am an unashamed ABBA fan from way back, and I know that's not meant to be something to admit to for some reason , but... they were just brilliant melody makers, and so easy to listen to and look at.

The first woman I fell in love with looked like Frida, my Grade 3 teacher. Sadly, she didn't wait for me, and married while I was in Grade 4. But at least she did tell me the name of the game...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Earliest musical memories stem from my parents, who were-and still are-free spirited hippies.

This meant I grew up listening to classic 60's stuff such as Cream, 13th Floor Elevators, Dylan and Donovan.

Would pick this tune as a significant one, as my parents met while listening to it, it became ''their'' song, so they played it as their main wedding song (don't think they did the bridal waltz to it somehow ;))......

Earliest musical memories stem from my parents, who were-and still are-free spirited hippies.

This meant I grew up listening to classic 60's stuff such as Cream, 13th Floor Elevators, Dylan and Donovan.

Would pick this tune as a significant one, as my parents met while listening to it, it became ''their'' song, so they played it as their main wedding song (don't think they did the bridal waltz to it somehow ;))......

Brilliant.

Any love here for Linkin Park? I was a huge fan when they first came out and have all of their albums. I hadn't listened to them for a couple of years and my daughter played one of their songs from my iTunes and when I heard it.... well, now I'm hooked again. This first one is one of my faves, and the best from the album A Thousand Suns. The rest are just my random favourites, with the last being their best song, from their best album (IMO of course). Meteora has too many good ones to put up here.

Any love here for Linkin Park? I was a huge fan when they first came out and have all of their albums. I hadn't listened to them for a couple of years and my daughter played one of their songs from my iTunes and when I heard it.... well, now I'm hooked again. This first one is one of my faves, and the best from the album A Thousand Suns. The rest are just my random favourites, with the last being their best song, from their best album (IMO of course). Meteora has too many good ones to put up here.

No.

Trying to make it an old-farts only thread. :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back