Opinion The NBA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

That's the problem and that's why i dont think they will win it, that starting 5 is sweet however

Greg Smith, Jose Barea, Al Farouq-Aminu, Richard Jefferson, Devin Harris, Charlie Villanueva and Raymond Felton is plenty and they're all really useable guys who can be part of a rotation. They probably will add a depth big for the veteran minimum and they can go fine. Otherwise a Sam Dalembert type could in a trade involving one of their depth point guards may be that way the Mavs can really finalise their roster.

I would agree through that bench is a sense lacks those high level options which is about that only aspect that they're not quite as strong as some of the other teams as they clearly have no Manu, Taj Gibson or Jamal Crawford. But that's about the primarily knock I'd have on that group.

The Mavs may get their big man. Some rumours regarding Jermaine O'Neal to sign with the Mavs as a free agent. Coach Rick Carlisle coached O'Neal at his best and he has a relationship with Rondo as a past team mate and wants to join a winner.

Houston just added Corey Brewer and Alexey Shved, using their trade exception on that which also is a small step in the right direction.

The Cavs still have a trade exception.

And still a few free agent chips to fall.

I'd love to see the Warriors add Emeka Okafor to improve their front-court depth as an upgrade on Ezeli with Bogut injured too frequently. That and as a Bulls fan I'd rather he go West rather than land with the Cavs.

As good as Rondo is, Brandon Wright was playing unreal and may stuff them over.. But they had to take the risk given they were not top 4 with Wright and no Rondo. Dallas had 4 players who could dribble, pass and shoot, now they have 3. I Can't decide if it was a good trade or not, time will tell.

Cavs have had the hots for Wes Mathews for multiple years and recently inquired but we're shut down, would love him at the cavs. Shame it's never gonna happen.
Dion Waiters for Kosta Koufos is a matter of when I believe. They also own Miamis first rounder which is top 5 or 10 protected. Could see them dealing that with a low contact guy to improve depth.
Cavs should keep the trade exception to pair it with Haywoods contract next year which becomes $10mil expiring to get something juicy. No point using it now, they really need to build chemistry and cohesion. Find ways to get Love involved. Cavs need time, I knew it would take a lot of time.. But they don't seem to be improving at all.

I'm confused as to why Houston didn't make a huge push for Rondo, they're the only top 8 west team without a star pg, brewer will help them greatly. They needed bench players.

Boston are 8th... If they're tanking they aren't doing it right.

It's quite interesting to look at denvers roster, Im not sure what they're doing. They have Galinari, Hickson, Arthur, Randolph, McGee who were all drafted in the top 30 in the 2008 drafted.. Weird for that to happen but shows the evenness of their roster. They're gonna have to blow that team up imo, or be stuck in the lower part of the west for years to come.

Douglas-Roberts looks like a completely different player to his last stint in the NBA, i don't mean his basketball ability I always thought he was decent, his hair and glasses are a very interesting look.

As good as Rondo is, Brandon Wright was playing unreal and may stuff them over.. But they had to take the risk given they were not top 4 with Wright and no Rondo. Dallas had 4 players who could dribble, pass and shoot, now they have 3. I Can't decide if it was a good trade or not, time will tell.

Cavs have had the hots for Wes Mathews for multiple years and recently inquired but we're shut down, would love him at the cavs. Shame it's never gonna happen.
Dion Waiters for Kosta Koufos is a matter of when I believe. They also own Miamis first rounder which is top 5 or 10 protected. Could see them dealing that with a low contact guy to improve depth.
Cavs should keep the trade exception to pair it with Haywoods contract next year which becomes $10mil expiring to get something juicy. No point using it now, they really need to build chemistry and cohesion. Find ways to get Love involved. Cavs need time, I knew it would take a lot of time.. But they don't seem to be improving at all.

I'm confused as to why Houston didn't make a huge push for Rondo, they're the only top 8 west team without a star pg, brewer will help them greatly. They needed bench players.

Boston are 8th... If they're tanking they aren't doing it right.

It's quite interesting to look at denvers roster, Im not sure what they're doing. They have Galinari, Hickson, Arthur, Randolph, McGee who were all drafted in the top 30 in the 2008 drafted.. Weird for that to happen but shows the evenness of their roster. They're gonna have to blow that team up imo, or be stuck in the lower part of the west for years to come.

Douglas-Roberts looks like a completely different player to his last stint in the NBA, i don't mean his basketball ability I always thought he was decent, his hair and glasses are a very interesting look.

Brandan Wright is underrated with his PER like Speights and Gobert incredibly impressive. The keys with Wright are that he blocks shots, doesn't need offensive possessions and when they are it's just finishing at the rim which also means that he isn't turning it over and his FG% is high. He can struggle with certain types of matchups but if he gets minutes - say as a starter for Boston I'd be interested to see how that goes.
If they get Jermaine O'Neal at the veteran minimum I don't see Dallas anywhere really taking a step back even if O'Neal is less athletic and not as good as Wright, as relief minutes to Chandler if healthy he can suffice in that role.

Talking PER Shabbaz Muhammed in Minnesota not that anyone much will watch them other than their nightly highlights but Muhammed has an excellent PER and that trade of Brewer should open up some minutes for him.

Anyone like Mozgov/Koufos in a Waiters trade would be a good move for the Cavs to get bigger. If Ray Allen joins on then Waiters becomes incredibly moveable and locally for a big.

Love in Cleveland next to LeBron is making for interesting watching. On offense it is a real struggle to fit him in. It has the feel of the Chris Bosh story where LeBron doesn't naturally get the bigs involved with his preference more penetrate and kick to the perimeter shooters - not that Love isn't ofcourse as a terrific 3pt shooter, though he does prefer those inside shots which he doesn't get as much of with LeBron. If anything more an Anthony Davis type would better compliment LeBron as a better defender but also someone who really runs the court, finishes at the rim and doesn't need the offensive possessions in the half court and preferring more guys who finish at the rim from his lob passes. Tyson Chandler would be another example of a suitable big stylistically for LeBron to play with.
Similar issues fit-wise with LeBron and Irving with LeBron wanting and needing the ball and Irving the same. Irving is now playing more off the ball but he still is a dribble and shoot rather than catch and shoot guy on the perimeter which again is more what LeBron needs.
But with both stars they can work it out and the three of them is just too talented for things not to go better than they are.

I like the idea for the Cavs regarding the Haywood contract. Don't pay too heavy this year - just figure out what you have this year and go for it next year. It will be interesting to see if the Cavs can afford to bring back T.Thompson in addition to letting all that happen and use either he or Varajao as further trading chips to make something properly big happen.
Brooklyn are looking to move their big contacts on and re-tool so perhaps a Brook Lopez or a Joe Johnson could be two examples of some potential gets. Roy Hibbert could be another as someone Indiana may look to move.

Denver are a deep team. Just deep with low-medium level starters, role players and a team that doesn't fit all that well with their coach and system of play. You're right they need to make moves.
Kenneth Faried and Aaron Afflalo I'd love to see on a better team such a Cleveland. Faried running the break with anyone would be fun to watch as it was on that World Championship team and Afflalo is someone with the ability to take a contending team over the edge.

Brandan Wright is underrated with his PER like Speights and Gobert incredibly impressive. The keys with Wright are that he blocks shots, doesn't need offensive possessions and when they are it's just finishing at the rim which also means that he isn't turning it over and his FG% is high. He can struggle with certain types of matchups but if he gets minutes - say as a starter for Boston I'd be interested to see how that goes.
If they get Jermaine O'Neal at the veteran minimum I don't see Dallas anywhere really taking a step back even if O'Neal is less athletic and not as good as Wright, as relief minutes to Chandler if healthy he can suffice in that role.

Talking PER Shabbaz Muhammed in Minnesota not that anyone much will watch them other than their nightly highlights but Muhammed has an excellent PER and that trade of Brewer should open up some minutes for him.

Anyone like Mozgov/Koufos in a Waiters trade would be a good move for the Cavs to get bigger. If Ray Allen joins on then Waiters becomes incredibly moveable and locally for a big.

Love in Cleveland next to LeBron is making for interesting watching. On offense it is a real struggle to fit him in. It has the feel of the Chris Bosh story where LeBron doesn't naturally get the bigs involved with his preference more penetrate and kick to the perimeter shooters - not that Love isn't ofcourse as a terrific 3pt shooter, though he does prefer those inside shots which he doesn't get as much of with LeBron. If anything more an Anthony Davis type would better compliment LeBron as a better defender but also someone who really runs the court, finishes at the rim and doesn't need the offensive possessions in the half court and preferring more guys who finish at the rim from his lob passes. Tyson Chandler would be another example of a suitable big stylistically for LeBron to play with.
Similar issues fit-wise with LeBron and Irving with LeBron wanting and needing the ball and Irving the same. Irving is now playing more off the ball but he still is a dribble and shoot rather than catch and shoot guy on the perimeter which again is more what LeBron needs.
But with both stars they can work it out and the three of them is just too talented for things not to go better than they are.

I like the idea for the Cavs regarding the Haywood contract. Don't pay too heavy this year - just figure out what you have this year and go for it next year. It will be interesting to see if the Cavs can afford to bring back T.Thompson in addition to letting all that happen and use either he or Varajao as further trading chips to make something properly big happen.
Brooklyn are looking to move their big contacts on and re-tool so perhaps a Brook Lopez or a Joe Johnson could be two examples of some potential gets. Roy Hibbert could be another as someone Indiana may look to move.

Denver are a deep team. Just deep with low-medium level starters, role players and a team that doesn't fit all that well with their coach and system of play. You're right they need to make moves.
Kenneth Faried and Aaron Afflalo I'd love to see on a better team such a Cleveland. Faried running the break with anyone would be fun to watch as it was on that World Championship team and Afflalo is someone with the ability to take a contending team over the edge.
I watched Twolves a few times earlier in the season when Shabbaz wasn't given much of a go but I have noticed through the box score his recent games have been very good. Shooting a high percentage and scoring a lot.
I hope Blatt realises Thompson needs to start and play with LeBron given he seems to be able to find him for alley oops often when they play together and Varejao has regressed and better off back to his role as energiser off the bench. Either way they have 3 power forwards and 0 centers on the roster (given haywood won't play much) so a trade for one is needed badly and the player should start.
I think toronto or Houston should chase Faried. I can't believe he lost his starting spot at one point.

I'm starting to get the feeling Ray Allen may opt for Golden State or another west team rather than cavs, given it will probably be his final season and he doesn't owe LeBron anything.

It's pretty ridiculous that Chandler is the highest paid Mavs given the talent they have. If Ellis was smart he would stick with them next season given they turned him into a proper star player. I can see him reverting back to his old ways if he signed with another team.

I'm quietly hoping boston don't realise the player they got in Brandon Wright and are looking to offload him for a pick...(and cavs land him). They do have a a lot of PF/C on the roster, I still think they'll keep him tho and move someone else.

Just realised the under manned Bulls beat Memphis in Memphis, need to watch replay of this tomorrow.

I watched Twolves a few times earlier in the season when Shabbaz wasn't given much of a go but I have noticed through the box score his recent games have been very good. Shooting a high percentage and scoring a lot.
I hope Blatt realises Thompson needs to start and play with LeBron given he seems to be able to find him for alley oops often when they play together and Varejao has regressed and better off back to his role as energiser off the bench. Either way they have 3 power forwards and 0 centers on the roster (given haywood won't play much) so a trade for one is needed badly and the player should start.
I think toronto or Houston should chase Faried. I can't believe he lost his starting spot at one point.

I'm starting to get the feeling Ray Allen may opt for Golden State or another west team rather than cavs, given it will probably be his final season and he doesn't owe LeBron anything.

It's pretty ridiculous that Chandler is the highest paid Mavs given the talent they have. If Ellis was smart he would stick with them next season given they turned him into a proper star player. I can see him reverting back to his old ways if he signed with another team.

I'm quietly hoping boston don't realise the player they got in Brandon Wright and are looking to offload him for a pick...(and cavs land him). They do have a a lot of PF/C on the roster, I still think they'll keep him tho and move someone else.

Just realised the under manned Bulls beat Memphis in Memphis, need to watch replay of this tomorrow.

(On the Bulls - Memphis game) Jimmy Butler as he has all season just starred for the Bulls and is clearly the Bulls number one option offensively and defensively now. I'd have him top 5 in my MVP at this point. He regularly keeps guys to single digit scoring but then puts up his 20 (more recently it's closer to 30) and his 9 or however many FT attempts he is earning every game just getting to the line at will. Nikola Mirotic dominated with 6/6 from 3pt and launched some long 3s at that. Joakim Noah also looked more like Joakim Noah, playing one of his few better games this season after a slow start due to various knee and ankle injuries - a bit like Rose, he just hasn't looked himself with Butler and Gasol the Bulls clear big 2 to this point and the only two on the Bulls squad I'd regard as deserving and really must haves on the All Star team for the East and I'd argue for both they're both starters based on what they've done to this point in the season.
For the MVP I'd have: Curry, Harden, Westbrook (assuming he doesn't miss any more games) then Jimmy Butler with Marc Gasol/Mike Conley both equally impactful with Memphis then Anthony Davis with his sheer numbers and DeMarcus Cousins also when healthy really dominating also and his plus/minus and win share excellent.
It's a strange season in that LeBron and KD just aren't LeBron and KD. LeBron like last year doesn't defend with the intensity he once did and he also isn't finishing at the rim - really reluctant to dunk firstly but his fg% has really dropped badly.
Then KD missing that time doesn't look the same with Westbrook to this point in the season looking like their number one option, though he was terrific in that game he got injured with all those 3s in a hurry. I'll give him props for that.

A bit like Tim Duncan, Dirk Nowitzki similarly being near the end of his career and sensing his team has a chance to win another championship he is also happy on reduced money. Tyson Chandler left for New York to get the money as the Mavs at the time didn't want to match the salary and pay so far into the luxury tax - which probably was a mistake for me not matching. He isn't on such ludicrous money compared to some others on other teams (namely those guys playing for Brooklyn), Dallas just have some fairly friendly contracts in that starting group.

On Monta Ellis, I tend to think he just has never received the recognition he deserves really until joining Dallas. A few years into joining Golden State he was really good but just not a great fit with their other guards. Then at Milwaukee he was also very good and really the same play he is now.

On Tristian Thompson I also like his play with LeBron and all those lob passes he was getting when the royals came to watch LeBron was evidence of that. He feels more like an ideal 6th man and first big off the bench guy due to being more a power forward than centre and not a great stopper which again you need playing alongside Love. Thompson or Varajao? I slightly favour Thompson as the slightly better player now. Varajao also I don't regard as a good rim protector as I'd say of Love which is why I don't like those two starting together with Varajao more a rebounding and energy guy who would be better suited with an Anthony Davis or Serge Ibaka. At the moment it feels more like a situation of waiting for an appropriate fit to play centre with that current group as I'd say with the shooting guard spot for more a catch and shoot guy.

Last edited:
(On the Bulls - Memphis game) Jimmy Butler as he has all season just starred for the Bulls and is clearly the Bulls number one option offensively and defensively now. I'd have him top 5 in my MVP at this point. He regularly keeps guys to single digit scoring but then puts up his 20 (more recently it's closer to 30) and his 9 or however many FT attempts he is earning every game just getting to the line at will. Nikola Mirotic dominated with 6/6 from 3pt and launched some long 3s at that. Joakim Noah also looked more like Joakim Noah, playing one of his few better games this season after a slow start due to various knee and ankle injuries - a bit like Rose, he just hasn't looked himself with Butler and Gasol the Bulls clear big 2 to this point and the only two on the Bulls squad I'd regard as deserving and really must haves on the All Star team for the East and I'd argue for both they're both starters based on what they've done to this point in the season.
For the MVP I'd have: Curry, Harden, Westbrook (assuming he doesn't miss any more games) then Jimmy Butler with Marc Gasol/Mike Conley both equally impactful with Memphis then Anthony Davis with his sheer numbers and DeMarcus Cousins also when healthy really dominating also and his plus/minus and win share excellent.
It's a strange season in that LeBron and KD just aren't LeBron and KD. LeBron like last year doesn't defend with the intensity he once did and he also isn't finishing at the rim - really reluctant to dunk firstly but his fg% has really dropped badly.
Then KD missing that time doesn't look the same with Westbrook to this point in the season looking like their number one option, though he was terrific in that game he got injured with all those 3s in a hurry. I'll give him props for that.

A bit like Tim Duncan, Dirk Nowitzki similarly being near the end of his career and sensing his team has a chance to win another championship he is also happy on reduced money. Tyson Chandler left for New York to get the money as the Mavs at the time didn't want to match the salary and pay so far into the luxury tax - which probably was a mistake for me not matching. He isn't on such ludicrous money compared to some others on other teams (namely those guys playing for Brooklyn), Dallas just have some fairly friendly contracts in that starting group.

On Monta Ellis, I tend to think he just has never received the recognition he deserves really until joining Dallas. A few years into joining Golden State he was really good but just not a great fit with their other guards. Then at Milwaukee he was also very good and really the same play he is now.

On Tristian Thompson I also like his play with LeBron and all those lob passes he was getting when the royals came to watch LeBron was evidence of that. He feels more like an ideal 6th man and first big off the bench guy due to being more a power forward than centre and not a great stopper which again you need playing alongside Love. Thompson or Varajao? I slightly favour Thompson as the slightly better player now. Varajao also I don't regard as a good rim protector as I'd say of Love which is why I don't like those two starting together with Varajao more a rebounding and energy guy who would be better suited with an Anthony Davis or Serge Ibaka. At the moment it feels more like a situation of waiting for an appropriate fit to play centre with that current group as I'd say with the shooting guard spot for more a catch and shoot guy.
I watched the Bulls game, Jimmy Butler has really taken his game to a new level. I'm surprised how effective Gasol has been, I thought he was close to being finished. Similar to Wade who has played well also.

I'm convinced Houston are the most overrated team, almost as overrated as Carlton were in 2012. Everyone was saying how much better they would be when they get their 3 started back and they have gone to lose 2 in a row with them lol brewer is a nice addition but I think they'll have a short playoff run like last season.

Right now Love shouldn't be in the All Star team, but he will probably get voted in as a starter. That's why I don't place too much emphasis on All Star appearances defining someone's career.

I watched the Bulls game, Jimmy Butler has really taken his game to a new level. I'm surprised how effective Gasol has been, I thought he was close to being finished. Similar to Wade who has played well also.

I'm convinced Houston are the most overrated team, almost as overrated as Carlton were in 2012. Everyone was saying how much better they would be when they get their 3 started back and they have gone to lose 2 in a row with them lol brewer is a nice addition but I think they'll have a short playoff run like last season.

Right now Love shouldn't be in the All Star team, but he will probably get voted in as a starter. That's why I don't place too much emphasis on All Star appearances defining someone's career.

The thing with Houston to watch is their age demographic. Their whole roster is really young and as a result with every year their group if they keep it together will incrementally improve. I think they'll be roughly similar to last year and I'd say it will as an up tempo team that isn't comfortable in the half court be a surprise if they made it past the 1st round of the playoffs with the quality of the other teams in the West, or that is my feel for them anyway. With Dallas/San Antonio/OKC/Memphis and Golden State all clearly better. I also have the Clippers ahead of Houston. With Houston/Portland fighting it out for 7/8 with Houston probably earning that 7 seed or at least my 7th ranked team in the West.

All star appearances are a fair gauge of a guys career, but there are always guys who miss out who deserve to make it. Monta Ellis as one example should have made at least one all star appearance. Same with Josh Smith back in his Atlanta days. So a bit like with championships or MVP awards. It's part of it but not the only indicator of quality of career.

Pau Gasol has a re-invigorated feel. Played an average at best game v Memphis but his season has been terrific and he just seems to be enjoying playing for a competitive team again.

I'd agree on Love re. the All Star team. It's been a slow start and similarly with Irving it's just fitting in with LeBron. And as such I wouldn't have either representing the East. Give them both a year and next year they'll both on that team look better and be deserving All Stars on not just reputation but also performance.

So the Celtics are tanking - With Trading Rondo?

I wouldn't describe trading Rondo as tanking. Tanking implies the players aren't trying which simply is untrue when they are one game outside 8th in the East.

Boston's situation is that they've tried to attract plays to Boston - Kevin Love as one example and have failed. Recognising this and recognising that Rondo is an unrestricted free agent and that he will next off-season almost certainly sign with another team and they had logical option but to trade Rondo or they otherwise would be losing him for nothing.

Additionally Rondo as a basketball player needs high level players around him to be useful as a playmaker (this means good passer/someone who gets it to scorers in position for them to score) and Boston without players of the quality of Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen in their primes as they once had, Rondo is essentially of little use to winning and therefore of no real use even for this season for Boston to retain.

I wouldn't describe trading Rondo as tanking. Tanking implies the players aren't trying which simply is untrue when they are one game outside 8th in the East.

Boston's situation is that they've tried to attract plays to Boston - Kevin Love as one example and have failed. Recognising this and recognising that Rondo is an unrestricted free agent and that he will next off-season almost certainly sign with another team and they had logical option but to trade Rondo or they otherwise would be losing him for nothing.

Additionally Rondo as a basketball player needs high level players around him to be useful as a playmaker (this means good passer/someone who gets it to scorers in position for them to score) and Boston without players of the quality of Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen in their primes as they once had, Rondo is essentially of little use to winning and therefore of no real use even for this season for Boston to retain.

Okay the Players are not trying but sounds like the Front Office thinks that they need some big changes and try and get Draft Picks in to get those Young Guns

Okay the Players are not trying but sounds like the Front Office thinks that they need some big changes and try and get Draft Picks in to get those Young Guns

It's a situation where Boston have little choice. A bit like Beams at Collingwood, the teams hand is being forced to make the move.

Danny Ainge mentioned in the interview post trade that he doesn't like losing the best player in a trade but little option was available with the draft and youth really the only option Boston have in their situation.

Jeff Green probably also at some point like Rondo gets moved as another guy with some currency.

--

The other option for Boston would have been taking on another teams garbage - so your established but unwanted players. Perhaps that could be in the form of Josh Smith at Detroit who has not performed strongly and Lance Stephenson at Charlotte who has not performed to expectation either. Maybe they could make a move for Brook Lopez. There are some reasonable options out there who Boston perhaps could have gone after if they were willing to move their picks. Brandan Bass and Marcus Thornton would be examples of contracts that perhaps could have been moved in addition to picks as guys with expiring contracts. Maybe Gerald Wallace if someone was willing to take him on for two years.
But then again no one is making a move for them and Boston seem with those unwanted players like everyone else to lack interest in acquiring those and similar types of players.

I did not realise this but the cavs own 3 first rounders this year given Miami and Sacrmento's picks likely won't be top 10 plus of course their own... Surely that could entice denver into giving someone up

Atlanta v Dallas tomorrow should be great.

Edit: players never tank, they have their careers to worry about. Players will never tank, it's too costly for them not to play to the best they can.
However they can be placed in a situation where they can't win, that is what boston management is doing or trying to and what philly has done. Put players in a position where they can't win games, no matter how hard they try. Taken away good players or simply not signed good players so their current less talented players try but can't succeed.

If he wasn't being payed millions of dollars I'd feel bad for Thad Young, finally gets traded from philly only to end up on a team with hardly any extra help in a way tougher conference lol

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did not realise this but the cavs own 3 first rounders this year given Miami and Sacrmento's picks likely won't be top 10 plus of course their own... Surely that could entice denver into giving someone up

Atlanta v Dallas tomorrow should be great.

Edit: players never tank, they have their careers to worry about. Players will never tank, it's too costly for them not to play to the best they can.
However they can be placed in a situation where they can't win, that is what boston management is doing or trying to and what philly has done. Put players in a position where they can't win games, no matter how hard they try. Taken away good players or simply not signed good players so their current less talented players try but can't succeed.

If he wasn't being payed millions of dollars I'd feel bad for Thad Young, finally gets traded from philly only to end up on a team with hardly any extra help in a way tougher conference lol

Bulls v Raptors will be another good game tomorrow with the Raptors having the best record in the East and the Bulls aspiring to get to that point and trending up with the rapid growth of Butler and Mirotic and the slowly improving health of Noah and Rose.
But Atlanta and Dallas I agree similarly will be a good game to watch with Atlanta really competitive in the East and a potential contending team in the East and Dallas hoping to win the West and Championship.

The Cavs have an incredible number of assets. Picks. That Haywood contract. They could probably extend Tristian Thompson next year if they wanted and move him for a further big salary. Dion Waiters is another who can and probably eventually will be moved. Joe Harris if he continues to get minutes may be another small piece who can add some value. Maybe Varajao could be another piece and his contract is another fairly reasonable one, though I don't see the Cavs moving him. The Cavs have the chips to make something happen. It's just how they use those assets and if they can use it to get a big piece which will be interesting.

It's a good point regarding contracts and in the NBA everyone is playing for that next contract and that next big pay-day. You can even look at a dysfunctional team such as the Knicks at the moment. They have some reasonable names on their roster but they have a team that doesn't fit the system they are playing and with a whole host of players coming out of contract they are all playing to inflate their numbers to get that next pay day and earn another good contract rather than play team basketball to generate wins.
In Philli it's really the front office who are playing it to continue accumulating assets without wanting to win now. And those guys for anyone who has watch them. They're in a really interesting situation where there are a bunch of no-names and low level contracts and guys wanting to make a name for themselves and make the most of their opportunity so despite popular belief those guys they have are really playing to win and carve out long careers for themselves, even just as role players.

Josh Smith to be waived by the Pistons. Wow. Not that he was helping them win with his terrible fg% but they could at least have sat him and kept him as an asset. The guy has another 3 years to run on a big contract. Madness and why you don't have a coach play GM.

Josh Smith to be waived by the Pistons. Wow. Not that he was helping them win with his terrible fg% but they could at least have sat him and kept him as an asset. The guy has another 3 years to run on a big contract. Madness and why you don't have a coach play GM.

Show how Little Contracts mean in American Sports

Show how Little Contracts mean in American Sports

I wouldn't say that is what is demonstrated in the waiving of Josh Smith example.

It's not like the salary is cut and Josh Smith won't get paid. Not only will Josh Smith be paid by Detroit but the aspect that is even worse for Detroit is that, that money will still count against their salary cap and as a result they won't relieve their salary cap space to add new players. And that's my point towards it being a bad move for Detroit.

There are always desperate teams at the trade deadline that take on unwanted players. If they wanted they could get someone to take on not only Smith but also Brandon Jennings. Perhaps Houston could be that team. Perhaps Sacramento. Those are two aggressive teams right now who want to get better and both Smith and Jennings could help either team.

Excellent move by Houston.

They get a top 15, or if not then certainly a 20 power forward in the game and actually found a starting quality guy at their position probably of greatest relative weakness. And for an incredible discount (ie. Josh Smith was on a 13.5mil a year contract. And Houston now have him on a 2.1mil contract). That's a whopping discount for a guy who probably should be an All Star given his production over the years and given he has until now always played in the Eastern Conference and a great deal for Houston!

Josh Smith perhaps isn't an ideal fit for that team alongside Dwight Howard in that he isn't a floor spacer (in other words he can't shoot jump from mid range or 3pt range with any reliable accuracy) but none the less he will you'd hope be motivated to play well with Houston being a contending team and he is someone who will at least on the fast break, near the rim offensively and defensively with his ability both to get blocks, get steals and rebound be a significant upgrade on the young developing players they mostly had playing at that power forward position.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/more-sp...in-the-nba-draft/story-e6frf3f3-1227167123052

That makes no sense what so ever to why you pass on a Draft Prospect

Interesting article but Exam didn't go higher because there were other better performed players with more exposed form. Additionally numerous teams Exam refused to work out for with the hope being that he would drop in the draft down to the Lakers (which didn't occur with Julius Randle sliding instead to the Lakers).

Welcome Shump!!
Hello Jr..
Where art thou shot altering big man

Good trade for the Cavs. And there is even a future first round pick included as a further asset.

Shumpert will add a much needed perimeter defender and should start for the Cavs. Athletic, runs the floor. LeBron will love having a guy like that to play alongside, and Irving could certainly use it to hide his still below average defence by position.

JR Smith off the bench on a team featuring LeBron and some other guys who can create offence off the dribble is another really nice complimentary piece. JR Smith averaged per 36min four 3pt field goals made at 403% in 07/08. That's absolute madness. And the season prior 3.6 3pt fgs made at .390%. I love him as a compliment for LeBron because he is a catch and shoot guy and with LeBron setting him up as the ball dominant playmaker on that team I think he can get back to being productive after some off years where he has tried too often to do too much off the dribble generating his poor shot selection which off the ball is less of an issue.

--
Waiters I like for OKC off the bench with their bench scoring poor. And considering they lose nothing significant that's an incredible win for them.

In a few ways it's not terrible for the Knicks. It's a shredding of talent but it's also a good move for them in a few ways. It's a good salary dump of JR Smith who no one much wants, it moves on guys who are not long term pieces in that system, it means the luxury tax cost will not be as bad as it otherwise would be gaining a bunch of guys who will be waived and it will give Tim Hardaway JR the keys to the 2 guard position and further minutes at that position which isn't a bad thing either, in a similar way to how Minnesota moved Corey Brewer on to give Shabbaz Muhammed more of a chance to flourish.

--

Regarding what the Cavs do next the Knicks if they haven't already to make room for that trade are said to be likely to waive Sam Dalembert. With Okafor who was the best free agent big man available likely not to join a team this season, Dalembert looks the likely and logical addition to fill that big man need.
Bismack Biyombo for that second trade exception the Cavs still have would also be a strong addition and another good addition.
Omer Asik would be another to look to depending on availability. He is certainly out of favour with Pelican fans, with his inability to catch the ball cleanly off passes. But as a defensive anchor who doesn't need it on offense, he'd be the optimal fit and compliment to Love in the front court as one of the best few defenders in the league.

So the needs can be filled.

I'd also love to see the Cavs move a tired looking Shawn Marion who just seems unhappy and a bad fit for Jimmer Fredette who would as that Steve Kerr type point guard just shooting 3s all day off catch and shoot situations be another I'd like to see the Cavs go after. Not that Fredette's 3pt % looks good this year but he can be that Steve Kerr/Kyle Korver equivalent, albeit a poor mans version of that on a team like the Cavs as that complimentary piece as that catch and shoot 3pt specialist.

Huge game tomorrow, hope cavs can make it 3 in a row agaisnt the Bulls and be 3rd heading into the break.

If Jimmy Butler misses it probably will be 3 in a row.

Cavs are rolling right now and those trades for Mozgov, JR Smith and Shumpert are paying off. Mozgov protecting the rim and getting high % looks inside. He is getting utilised well. JR Smith is more catch and shoot and taking shots in rhythm which suits him perfectly then Shumpert is also contributing with good active defence and knocking down the occasional shot.

The Bulls while they've won a few in a row now have been too flat and ordinary this past month. I don't think the Cavs will have any trouble getting the W. As much as that pains me as a Bulls fan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back