Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
So what did people think of priddis game vs Carlton ?
I know it wasn't the best midfield opposition but he seemed to handball a lot more when he would have normally kicked and a couple of times he could have gone the long pass and stopped and found a short option .
He also didn't seem to be offering himself as an option when a better ball user was in the clear .
Make of it what you will but to me it seems like priddis has been asked to stick to his role and not try and do TOO much

From what ive seen id have to agree

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
I love when people bring him up as an example of players who've been delisted for being too slow ;)

Thought he played predominantly in the middle with occasional stints on a flank. He got more clearances per game than any of his teammates bar Lewis, would be tough to put up those sort of numbers playing off a flank

Have no idea on the exact %....No doubt, the club will know em.

All I can tell you is what I see on the box, Which would appear to equate to about a 50/50 split last year, at a guess.

But he did miss 8 games.

Clarko has played him off half back only from 2013 on-wards from memory, with the dual purpose of resting him, so as to extend his carer & save him for when we need him most....This also provides for giving other guys the chance to learn the trade in the middle so that the transition - when we do eventually lose him - is a seamless one.

Eagle87

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2005
Bangkok
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subi, Celtics, Pats, Sox
I know it wasn't the best midfield opposition but he seemed to handball a lot more when he would have normally kicked and a couple of times he could have gone the long pass and stopped and found a short option .
He also didn't seem to be offering himself as an option when a better ball user was in the clear .
Make of it what you will but to me it seems like priddis has been asked to stick to his role and not try and do TOO much

I read little into that game other than Shuey was really really explosive on just enough occasions to be exciting and our structure backwards of centre looked promising with some real speed and skill players back there.

The forward line looks to be a work in progress (Kennedy and Lecca aside).

There were way too many parts of the game in which midfield pressure was non-existent to read much into our midfield distribution execution. That and its February.

I actually thought the commentators talked Matt's game up more than warranted as he really didn't stand out in any particular way.

Specially on your comments, if Matt is going to play enormous time on ball and you're happy with himsimply handballing to the nearest better disposer and not looking to receive when their are better skilled players in proximity but occasionally lowering his eyes and making a good choice, well that's a pretty low bar you're setting.

I mean I'd be happy with that from a kid just starting or a fill in fringe type. I'd probably prefer a bit more from my main guy .... But that's, just me I guess.

Glad you were impressed though

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I thought he played within himself for a fair bit of the game, which is good, and as you say handballed more than kicked. Even though I specifically watch for him I didn't actually notice him that often, I was surprised he'd had so much of the ball at the end of the game.
I did notice him blocking for Shuey a couple of times, which is excellent, and one of those resulted him getting the ball back and kicking a goal.
Will be interesting to see if this continues against stronger opposition.

Johnno22

Club Legend
Feb 8, 2012
Ballarat
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Carlton
I thought he played within himself for a fair bit of the game, which is good, and as you say handballed more than kicked. Even though I specifically watch for him I didn't actually notice him that often, I was surprised he'd had so much of the ball at the end of the game.
I did notice him blocking for Shuey a couple of times, which is excellent, and one of those resulted him getting the ball back and kicking a goal.
Will be interesting to see if this continues against stronger opposition.
I suspect that they were experimenting with a more precise ball movement and it seemed to work very well in patches.

It appeared to me that once we were in possession there was huge player movement either through the middle of off half back where we braught the ball back inside with a third or fourth possession . I believe the intention was to get the ball to a player with time to deliver forward with precision.

This was almost Geelong or Hawthorn like and at times almost looked like a training drill with Priddis and the other usual suspects including Shepperd all involved. Looked great when it worked and the were able to get clean ball to Kennedy and LeCras.

The object was obviously not how quickly you moved the ball forward but how well. As I mentioned previously Priddis played a integral part in this "drill".

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
No like stepping up in a big game like a final and helping us win it.

Got nothing?
Even any game, I can't remember Priddis ever putting us on his back and helping to win us a game. Best example of this is last year, the first game against Collingwood. Priddis got a heap of possessions, probably got Brownlow votes, but it was Pendlebury who stood up in the last quarter or so of the game, put his team on his back and won them the game. Now I bet if you look back at the Brownlow votes, Priddis got more than Pendlebury, but who do you think was the best player in that game? I know who I think it was.

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I suspect that they were experimenting with a more precise ball movement and it seemed to work very well in patches.

It appeared to me that once we were in possession there was huge player movement either through the middle of off half back where we braught the ball back inside with a third or fourth possession . I believe the intention was to get the ball to a player with time to deliver forward with precision.

This was almost Geelong or Hawthorn like and at times almost looked like a training drill with Priddis and the other usual suspects including Shepperd all involved. Looked great when it worked and the were able to get clean ball to Kennedy and LeCras.

The object was obviously not how quickly you moved the ball forward but how well. As I mentioned previously Priddis played a integral part in this "drill".
I did very much like how we moved the ball quickly through the middle off half back, it was essentially just a drill though, very weak opposition in the midfield.
I think they have been working to hide Priddis' disposal deficiencies but I wonder if in the heat of a real game it'll go back to him slamming the ball on the boot, with his high up and under kicks.
I still think they'll struggle to compensate for his slowness on the defensive end. I saw your other posts about structures but when the ball gets turned over and there's 3 on 2 break running towards the opposition goals because Priddis is labouring along behind his man (and this happens a lot), there's no structure in the world that will fix it.

Johnno22

Club Legend
Feb 8, 2012
Ballarat
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Carlton
I did very much like how we moved the ball quickly through the middle off half back, it was essentially just a drill though, very weak opposition in the midfield.
I think they have been working to hide Priddis' disposal deficiencies but I wonder if in the heat of a real game it'll go back to him slamming the ball on the boot, with his high up and under kicks.
I still think they'll struggle to compensate for his slowness on the defensive end. I saw your other posts about structures but when the ball gets turned over and there's 3 on 2 break running towards the opposition goals because Priddis is labouring along behind his man (and this happens a lot), there's no structure in the world that will fix it.
As I have previously stated, I am not necessarily a Priddis fan but he does have some elite qualities that good coaches can utilise.

His ball getting ability in close is second to none and against Carlton he always seemed to be the first or second possession in the chain and it appeared to be very well drilled,

If we can perfect this ball movement and reduce the negative aspects of Priddis' game then we could be on a winner.

Simpson is no fool and he well knows what he has to work with and his success with be measured by how well he utilises the mix and moulds them into a precision machine. This is how the top clubs work and utilise there lists to the greatest advantage.

The signs are there and I am definitely on the Simpson bandwagon.

Priddis played well against the blues. I think being opposed to some younger bodies may have helped him to have a more dominant game physically than he may in the season proper. I thought his tackling and aggression in the stoppages was very good. He seemed able to lay a tackle or impede a Carlton player more often than not when the Blues were taking possession. I much rather see Matt and an opponent sitting on their backsides than Matt trotting along in every ones dust.

Either way it looks like Pridda might get some more support at the coalface this year from more of the midfield group, which is pleasing.

Eagle87

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2005
Bangkok
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subi, Celtics, Pats, Sox
As I have previously stated, I am not necessarily a Priddis fan but he does have some elite qualities that good coaches can utilise.

His ball getting ability in close is second to none and against Carlton he always seemed to be the first or second possession in the chain and it appeared to be very well drilled,

If we can perfect this ball movement and reduce the negative aspects of Priddis' game then we could be on a winner.

Simpson is no fool and he well knows what he has to work with and his success with be measured by how well he utilises the mix and moulds them into a precision machine. This is how the top clubs work and utilise there lists to the greatest advantage.

The signs are there and I am definitely on the Simpson bandwagon.

I like the way you post. I mean you type every sentence, no matter how bleedingly obvious, as if it's some scintillating revelation never previously considered by anyone on here. It's awesome. Great to have you here.

Johnno22

Club Legend
Feb 8, 2012
Ballarat
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Carlton
I like the way you post. I mean you type every sentence, no matter how bleedingly obvious, as if it's some scintillating revelation never previously considered by anyone on here. It's awesome. Great to have you here.
Thank you for those kind words. At first I thought you were being sarcastic but realised a honorable poster like yourself would not go there. A to the point poster would be up front if you disagreed with some comments.

On a more serious note, I have read a number of your posts on Priddis and on the whole your views do not vary too much from my own other than I do believe that he deserves a game.

I was however very pleased to see Simpson use him very effectively against Carlton as part of what I perceived to be a revamped plan for ball movement thought the middle and off half back.

You and I both know that Priddis isn't going anywhere in the next two seasons, so any variation in structures that sees a more effective use of the strengths he does have is the best answer for the team.

Also there were some real positives in the performance of Sheed, Gaff and Sheppherd be it against a relatively poor opposition and this gives us something to hold onto for the coming season I guess.

ndot

Premiership Player
Jul 10, 2005
melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
soccer
it is pertinent to note that every condemnation of priddis and his perceived flaws is in reality a condemnation of those who continue to select him in our team and utilize him as a key midfield component.

let's just remember to direct our frustration at the selectors/coaching staff, and not the player himself (as he does not pick himself in the starting 18)

Smotie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
it is pertinent to note that every condemnation of priddis and his perceived flaws is in reality a condemnation of those who continue to select him in our team and utilize him as a key midfield component.

let's just remember to direct our frustration at the selectors/coaching staff, and not the player himself (as he does not pick himself in the starting 18)
Wow, never thought of this before how radical a concept this is...

Is there one name that sticks out specifically for you? I'd love to hear it...

Public Enemy No1

Premiership Player
Oct 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Azzurri Juventus

lol assuming you and your fellow lemons are right and the coaching staff are wrong:oops:

full of yourself and your opinion much

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
lol assuming you and your fellow lemons are right and the coaching staff are wrong:oops:

full of yourself and your opinion much

So - where have we finished the last few seasons

Don't recall any silverware.

Not too many finals and almost zero wins against quality opposition.

We have a Kickarse backline, one of the better forward lines - the best ruck division

Yet we don't win games

We also have a midfield spearheaded by a bloke that isn't helping the guys who change the numbers on the big board lose any weight.

Those numbers on that big board are what decides whether or not we win games.

Not coaches votes, not Brownlow votes, not anything but those numbers

Kernel Sanders

Club Legend
Suspended
Apr 29, 2007
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
So - where have we finished the last few seasons

Don't recall any silverware.

Not too many finals and almost zero wins against quality opposition.

We have a Kickarse backline, one of the better forward lines - the best ruck division

Yet we don't win games

We also have a midfield spearheaded by a bloke that isn't helping the guys who change the numbers on the big board lose any weight.

Those numbers on that big board are what decides whether or not we win games.

Not coaches votes, not Brownlow votes, not anything but those numbers
But...but... but He's a Top Bloke and Geez he tries hard

Smotie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
^^^^^

And only Expert Opinions Count:)

And he won a brownlow don't you know. Since when did individual awards mean more than team success.
The players care more about team success than individual awards.
Most of the posters in this board care more about individual awards because it supposedly shores up their argument.

Pottering

Club Legend
Aug 13, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth (Redlegs), Hiroshima Carp
And he won a brownlow don't you know. Since when did individual awards mean more than team success.
The players care more about team success than individual awards.
Most of the posters in this board care more about individual awards because it supposedly shores up their argument.

You're right, it does shore up their argument. You make that sound like a bad thing, that the Eagles coaching panel, the collective AFL coaches, the umpires, plus the overwhelming majority of the football industry rates him highly. That we haven't won a flag in Priddis' time is not solely his fault, he's been doing his job for the team better than just about anyone over that period. Are Adelaide supporters similarly feral about Patrick Dangerfield because he hasn't lead them to a flag? Maybe Bombers fans are screaming blue murder that Jobe Watson needs to be got rid of for lack of September success? Perhaps there's a cabal of Saints supporters who've been calling for the axing of Nick Reiwoldt for years now? I mean he let Collingwood's Shaw smother that certain goal on the line in one GF, that should have been the straw that broke the camel's back!

And of course we can't forget Chris Judd, lured from West Coast to specifically bring Carlton success. Clearly their lack of success can only be attributed to Judd?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back