Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

Stadium windfall depends on visitors

The stadium at Burswood could provide a $291 million annual economic windfall for Perth - including 1390 jobs - but only if enough interstate and international visitors can be guaranteed tickets.

An economic impact assessment by consultants AEC Group has calculated that at least 10,000 of the stadium's 60,000 seats need to be available for general admission tickets.

This would allow 2000 seats to be allocated for interstate or overseas visitors.

The assessment, commissioned by the WA Tourism Council, said spending by these visitors would create $291 million in total economic output and 1390 full-time jobs every year.

Call me crazy - but I don't care what event opens the stadium.

Surely - just host whatever event is first up the moment the stadium is ready.

If the stadium is good to go november 2017 - then it would be silly to leave it dormant for 4-5 months just so a derby can be played there.

If soccer want to launch the stadium and host the socceroos - then they can pony up the cost of getting it done. It shouldn't be at taxpayers expense.

It would be great to see the scorchers play there - by 2018 the rest of Australia will probably be sick of the final playing at the WACA - so it would be nice to have the new stadium as the third venue the final has been held.

Call me crazy - but I don't care what event opens the stadium.

Surely - just host whatever event is first up the moment the stadium is ready.

If the stadium is good to go november 2017 - then it would be silly to leave it dormant for 4-5 months just so a derby can be played there.

If soccer want to launch the stadium and host the socceroos - then they can pony up the cost of getting it done. It shouldn't be at taxpayers expense.

It would be great to see the scorchers play there - by 2018 the rest of Australia will probably be sick of the final playing at the WACA - so it would be nice to have the new stadium as the third venue the final has been held.

Good summary from Mark Duffield
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/26253866/socceroos-should-get-red-card-on-stadium/

The place needs international events.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/26253866/socceroos-should-get-red-card-on-stadium/

It seems mark, like a lot of people, are unaware that the reason there were no games in perth (and Adelaide) was that the WA and SA govts did not cough up any coin. rest of article is good I agree.

It seems mark, like a lot of people, are unaware that the reason there were no games in perth (and Adelaide) was that the WA and SA govts did not cough up any coin. rest of article is good I agree.

I think they know. The Government just doesnt care. And why would they - Perth oval cost 90 million and basically only hosts soccer with an occasional league game. Union tests are played at Subiaco - and will be expected to move to the new facility.

it irks me no end that sports governing bodies would ask governments to "bid" when governments have already built facilities for them to play and train in at considerable cost to the taxpayer. It should be a requirement.

Reasonable article albeit a little emotional.

I have no issue with a socceroos game at the new ground - just that there should be no promise to any event that they will be first.

As soon as the ground is good to go - start filling it with events

Long lead time Falcon, e.g http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/feb/10/australia-new-zealand-world-twenty20-2020

They should know a ways out whether the stadium is going to be finished on time. This isn't Athens.

Moving the scorchers from the WACA to the new stadium could be done very quickly I would have thought.

As I said more than happy for the socceroos to play a friendly say in feb (before a march 2018 derby kick off)

I just don't think any event should be promised to be the opening event.

It cost a billion dollars to build - get the thing cranking ASAP

FWIW - we have attracted fantastic acts to Perth due to the new arena - the stadium should do the same.

They shouldn't have to. The WACA didn't cough up any coin to host any Cricket world cup matches, which is a bigger event than the Asian cup (although fair to say they got pretty shitty games).

I read the FFA want $5 million to host a Socceroos game. That's just utterly ridiculous, and just shows where the FFA's priorities lie. Some accuse the AFL of being too money driven, but that takes it to a whole new level when you have a major city in this country going without an international for a decade because they won't put up the coin. It should be about promotion of the game, not a f*cking profit. You would hope they aren't scratching their heads as to why the Glory can only half fill their ground despite being on top.

They shouldn't have to. The WACA didn't cough up any coin to host any Cricket world cup matches, which is a bigger event than the Asian cup (although fair to say they got pretty shitty games).

I read the FFA want $5 million to host a Socceroos game. That's just utterly ridiculous, and just shows where the FFA's priorities lie. Some accuse the AFL of being too money driven, but that takes it to a whole new level when you have a major city in this country going without an international for a decade because they won't put up the coin. It should be about promotion of the game, not a f*cking profit. You would hope they aren't scratching their heads as to why the Glory can only half fill their ground despite being on top.
Well the WA govt did cough up some coin for icc World Cup, they needed to spend some $ to upgrade certain parts of the waca, media area and some other spots.

See last para.

http://www.mediastatements.wa.gov.a...s.aspx?listName=StatementsBarnett&StatId=8102

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well the WA govt did cough up some coin for icc World Cup, they needed to spend some $ to upgrade certain parts of the waca, media area and some other spots.

Yeah but thats money to improve the venue to a decent standard (for media). The Football federation (FFA) want the money just for the right to host the game.

And the wa govt used to spend taxpayers money to get the red bull air race , to get aust lifesaving championships, to get johnnie walker classic golf and so it goes on. Im sure they also spent taxpayers money to get rugby world cup game back in the day. Its a competitive world with many markets having facilities just like perth does/will.

I stand corrected. :)

Although the government did spent a shade more on nib stadium.....not enough apparently.

Yeah, but money spent on Stadia doesn't find it's way into the pockets of soccer officials...

Honestly the way that the tourism budget has been decreased over the passed few years there won't be any big events for the next 5-10 years. Plus the cost for the air race and lifesaving champs etc. are usually to cover setup cost and competition winnings. But the FFA just want the money to put in there pockets because there are not really set up costs for soccer games and the set up costs are usually added to that $5 million figure.

Soccer can suck a big fat utensil, no way I'd want that s**t opening up the new Perth Stadium. Needs to be AFL, cricket or a major international music artist/band.

Soccer can suck a big fat utensil, no way I'd want that s**t opening up the new Perth Stadium. Needs to be AFL, cricket or a major international music artist/band.

Socceroos v England would be huge. Great for international exposure with tourists coming as well. Having said that you make a good point with the "suck a big fat utensil" comment.

They could play against West Coast. It could be marketed as a blockbuster as it would be the first time Jaeger O'Meara and Jack Martin play against their old side :thumbsu:
bastard-84263600944.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back