Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

i'm pretty sure all the advertising is going to be controlled by the AFC

When i say advertising I mean that because Tourism WA kicked in a bit of money there will be a few Tourism WA signs around. (Instead of Gov of WA signs as there were with the giants)

I'm sure the people of Bhutan will be inspired to come to WA whilst watching their team get fustigated.

I'm in the same opinion as you I think doing it as a tourism investment is a joke because when was the last time you watched an international sporting event and thought that you want to go there at your nearest opportunity. I am saying that the reason why Barnett does not know how much it cost is because Tourism WA payed for it out of their budget.

When i say advertising I mean that because Tourism WA kicked in a bit of money there will be a few Tourism WA signs around. (Instead of Gov of WA signs as there were with the giants)

Not sure you are a sports fan 96 or just an AFL fan, or even a fan of footy Aussie Rules style, but I'm one who is interested in the business that is sport.
So take this as you will: WA Tourism currently brings V8 Supercars to WA ( taxpayer $s into motor racing infrastructure), the event pulls a good crowd (about the same as a Freo game), rates on TV, & advertises for sports tourists in similar events in NZ & across the Eastern States. Not Tourism WA corporate signs, signs aimed at possible tourists direct e.g come to WA/come to Barbagallo.

Are you suggesting advertising is about promoting tourism or pumping up the Govt of the day to a TV audience that does vote in WA?

Last edited:
Are you suggesting advertising is about promoting tourism or pumping up the Govt of the day to a TV audience that does vote in WA?
I am like u interested in all sides of sport.

I am saying that the idea of WA Tourism bringing this event to Perth is to bring tourists over BUT IT WON'T because there will be a game most likely in every other capital city except Darwin and Hobart (which takes away the domestic tourism market) and honestly I don't think people from whatever small nation we play will have supporters travelling to Australia for the game (which takes away the international tourist market).

I am saying however Perth needs a big unique event such as when the Red Bull air race was here because people came from the rest of Australia and Asia to come see it.

I am like u interested in all sides of sport.

I am saying that the idea of WA Tourism bringing this event to Perth is to bring tourists over BUT IT WON'T because there will be a game most likely in every other capital city except Darwin and Hobart (which takes away the domestic tourism market) and honestly I don't think people from whatever small nation we play will have supporters travelling to Australia for the game (which takes away the international tourist market).

I am saying however Perth needs a big unique event such as when the Red Bull air race was here because people came from the rest of Australia and Asia to come see it.

Getting people to come is a tough gig, but it can be done - it will be interesting to see how WA promotes a game at the new stadium & in the case of our game what is done for the travelling spectator. The sell out factor makes Subi a non event for the casual footy fan.

The Gold Coast was promoted with Suns games for Melbourne based fans, no idea with what success. Living in Melbourne I can assure you the tourism dollar & sport go hand in hand.

What happened to the Red Bull air race? Its running again, & I know people that went over for the event - its success was supported by other cities wanting to steal it.

Getting people to come is a tough gig, but it can be done - it will be interesting to see how WA promotes a game at the new stadium & in the case of our game what is done for the travelling spectator. The sell out factor makes Subi a non event for the casual footy fan.

The Gold Coast was promoted with Suns games for Melbourne based fans, no idea with what success. Living in Melbourne I can assure you the tourism dollar & sport go hand in hand.

What happened to the Red Bull air race? Its running again, & I know people that went over for the event - its success was supported by other cities wanting to steal it.

They could have only push bike access and it would be better than Subi!! It's exciting it's finally being done

The reason it is not in Perth is because the first few years when it was in Perth, the cost of it was about $5 million to set it up and bring everything over.

They then had a couple of years break (after the season where a plane crashed into the swan river) then after they had brought in more safety precautions the price quadrupled to around the $20 million figure and the government were not willing to pay the bill. But honestly it was probably the biggest international event that brought people into the city. (Except for maybe the Empire games)

How often have you been to Subi in the past couple of years, how were the games?

I was there last year - it's a s**t hole - always has been - I was born and raised in Perth

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How were the games?

I see what you are doing there - if that is the measure I prefer Basso oval. Living in Victoria the amenity of Subi is very s**t in comparison to Etihad or MCG.

Bit of background info on the WAFC bid for stadium management rights:
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/afl/a/26326408/footy-bid-to-run-stadiums/

It would be great to see after 2018, the WACA ground jointly worked on by the WAFC and WACA. So it would be that WA has three stadiums that would be used all year round (WACA ground, nib stadium, new Perth stadium). Then selling off the land of subi oval to developers and using the money to improve the WACA ground so it becomes a modern, good quality boutique stadium holding 15,000-20,000.

Also the WAFC has a huge fight on its hands if AEG Ogden put in a bid to manage the stadium for the reasons that follow:
  • they have proved themselves with Perth Arena where the food may be a bit pricey but it is definitely a lot better quality then the current arrangements at Subi.
  • They are a completely independent entity, which in the article the WAFC say that is a completely it's bid is a completely separate entity but when you have a WAFC commissioner chairing the board and a few more probably going to join that is impossible.
  • Also in the article they talk about ticketmaster, Live Nation. Honestly if they will just go to the entity that win the contract anyway.

Subi is not owned by the taxpayers, ratepayers of Subi City own it.

I dont believe this is true. The WA Government are the owners of the stadium, and lease it to the Commission as far as Im aware.

See also: http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/colin-barnett-sees-no-future-for-subiaco-oval-20140917-10i9ls.html
Now known as Patersons Stadium, the oval sits on prime real estate and is leased to the WA Football Commission by the state government.

Im looking for other confirmation - Wikipedia and Austadiums say the WA Gov owns it too.

I think the ownership of Subi Oval is really complicated because remember when patersons got the naming rights the council was whinging about the external signage because they had some sort of rights to it but the signage inside the stadium they didn't have any rights to. My understanding is that everything on the footprint is actually owned by the WA government but everything around it is owned by Subiaco Council. But because it is so old there could well be connections the Subiaco FC.

I think the ownership of Subi Oval is really complicated because remember when patersons got the naming rights the council was whinging about the external signage because they had some sort of rights to it but the signage inside the stadium they didn't have any rights to. My understanding is that everything on the footprint is actually owned by the WA government but everything around it is owned by Subiaco Council. But because it is so old there could well be connections the Subiaco FC.

Old is right, it goes back to when the area was being developed in the early 1900s - a business I was associated with sat on a 99 year lease with the City of Subi. IF the Council no longer own the Oval, I will be very surprised because transferring such an iconic asset for Subiaco City would have had the historical types hysterical.

Stadium website says its owned by the City oif Subiaco and leased to the WAFC.
http://www.patersonsstadium.com.au/about/stadium/fast-facts

It produced no income for the City of Subiaco.

Yeah but the amount of business it created for Subiaco before and after events I bet every other council would be screaming for it. But everytime they wanted to do something to Subiaco Oval the council created a fuss, for example:
  • When the light towers went up
  • When the corporate signage went up
  • After night game the lights have to be off a certain period after the game
The businesses in Subiaco should be absolutely booming but the council does not know how to get people into Subi anymore without a big event at Subi Oval.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back