FootyFan96

Senior List
Jan 30, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco FC, Perth Lynx
Yes I agree - it sounds like FootyFan96 would be happier for Cricket to run the ground and profit from the Footy rather than Footy (WAFC).

No I never said that because I believe neither the WACA or WAFC should get the rights. Remember also the WAFC own Subi meaning they get all the profits. But with the new stadium the government will still own the stadium but the management would be contracted out. So that means the management will get a cut along with the teams involved but the rest will go to the government which will eventually run down to the sporting bodies of WA. So it might mean that the WACA and WAFC might not get as much money but they will still get their fair share.

Just to make it clear my view is that their should be an independent organisation managing the stadium.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
No I never said that because I believe neither the WACA or WAFC should get the rights. Remember also the WAFC own Subi meaning they get all the profits. But with the new stadium the government will still own the stadium but the management would be contracted out. So that means the management will get a cut along with the teams involved but the rest will go to the government which will eventually run down to the sporting bodies of WA. So it might mean that the WACA and WAFC might not get as much money but they will still get their fair share.

Just to make it clear my view is that their should be an independent organisation managing the stadium.

Understand your point of view but WA footy will be out of pocket - how would you deal with that? Take it out of junior development, de fund the WAFL? ?

FootyFan96

Senior List
Jan 30, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco FC, Perth Lynx
Understand your point of view but WA footy will be out of pocket - how would you deal with that? Take it out of junior development, de fund the WAFL? ?

Because it is just a management contract not an ownership situation which is what is basically happening at the moment at subi the WAFC will be in the same situation (maybe a little bit worse of if they don't get the contract) but no matter if they get the contract or not they will be out of pocket. However because they will be a bit more out of pocket the government would be more inclined to give them more money because remember the profits that come from the stadium to the government will go directly into sport plus maybe a little bit extra. Also profits from Subiaco Oval sell off (if the WAFC don't make a fuss) will most likely go into the WAFC allowing it to get rid of it's debt so it can use the funds it gets into the sport rather then trying to pay off debts.

So the WAFC will be out of pocket unless they get ownership or 99 year lease of the stadium (which the government have already said is off the table as that has been given to VenuesWest).

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Because it is just a management contract not an ownership situation which is what is basically happening at the moment at subi the WAFC will be in the same situation (maybe a little bit worse of if they don't get the contract) but no matter if they get the contract or not they will be out of pocket. However because they will be a bit more out of pocket the government would be more inclined to give them more money because remember the profits that come from the stadium to the government will go directly into sport plus maybe a little bit extra. Also profits from Subiaco Oval sell off (if the WAFC don't make a fuss) will most likely go into the WAFC allowing it to get rid of it's debt so it can use the funds it gets into the sport rather then trying to pay off debts.

So the WAFC will be out of pocket unless they get ownership or 99 year lease of the stadium (which the government have already said is off the table as that has been given to VenuesWest).

So the Government kick in $s in your world.

Its the stadium management deal I want the WAFC to get, ownership is not in play & the Government wont (& shouldnt) entertain a lease. You want the management deal to take money out of the game.

Interesting you seem to assume the place will turn a profit & continue to believe Subi is the Governments to sell.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
So the Government kick in $s in your world.

Its the stadium management deal I want the WAFC to get, ownership is not in play & the Government wont (& shouldnt) entertain a lease. You want the management deal to take money out of the game.

Interesting you seem to assume the place will turn a profit & continue to believe Subi is the Governments to sell.

The stadium is probably going to cost more than the peppercorn rent the WAFC presently enjoys. At the very least, Id expect them to have to contribute to a maintenance fund/trust - like the SMA in Adelaide, and Suns at Metricon. it should be more than balanced out by greater attendances/catering etc.

FootyFan96

Senior List
Jan 30, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco FC, Perth Lynx

The government knows it will make a profit because that is how it is going to pay it off with the finance agreement. Secondly I am not saying that it is the governments to sell but if the WAFC allow them to sell it off, I am sure the government would be more inclined to help them out. My personal opinion is that they don't have the moral right to sell Subi because they have invested nothing into it, while the government has pretty much built everything there. Also it was given to them for free initially.

Also because the it is just a management deal after the cost of actually running the stadium are taken out there won't be nearly as much profit from the business. But what will probably happen if they do they will cut costs and bleed the stadium for all its worth and then we are left with another subiaco oval with more capacity and comfier seats. However if there is an AEG Odgen for example they have a reputation to stay up to which means that as an experience going to the stadium will be world class because if they don't they are less likely to get future contracts, whereas the WAFC don't have as much pressure to stay up to the standards.

So as a patron of subiaco oval going to games fortnightly for the last 15 years I believe in having a world class experience then being treated as a cash cow as the WAFC are treating its patrons at the moment.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
The government knows it will make a profit because that is how it is going to pay it off with the finance agreement. Secondly I am not saying that it is the governments to sell but if the WAFC allow them to sell it off, I am sure the government would be more inclined to help them out. My personal opinion is that they don't have the moral right to sell Subi because they have invested nothing into it, while the government has pretty much built everything there. Also it was given to them for free initially.

The facility is owned by the City of Subiaco.

Aug 27, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals & Subi
15db2p3.jpg

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
The stadium sits next to a lake, which drains into the Swan.

At really high tides, the foot / bike path along the riverside can go underwater by about 6 inches, but there is no chance of further flooding as the the Swan is an estuary.

Now how are the plans for the boat docking facilities going ?.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oneiros

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, San Jose Sharks
The stadium sits next to a lake, which drains into the Swan.

At really high tides, the foot / bike path along the riverside can go underwater by about 6 inches, but there is no chance of further flooding as the the Swan is an estuary.

Now how are the plans for the boat docking facilities going ?.
You know ... on the one hand, I'd hate the McMansion BS that would go along with that ... but at the same time it'd be awesome to be seeing ******* flotilla each game day.

Piracy on the Swan every derby!

Aug 27, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals & Subi
Global warming is going to be interesting for that stadium.

Well it sits well above river level now. And if it floods then a lot of inner perth is screwed. Secondly the Swan River would be pretty easy in terms of tidal protection. It's very narrow entrance flanked by cliffs and embankments.

FootyFan96

Senior List
Jan 30, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco FC, Perth Lynx
Companies short-listed to operate new Perth Stadium at Burswood
  • VETTI KAKULAS BUSINESS REPORTER
  • PERTHNOW
  • MAY 12, 2015 11:29AM
704254-d703ba16-f84d-11e4-abad-a935b3e0d5c5.jpg

Four companies have been short-listed to operate Perth's new sports stadium at Burswood. Image supplied.

FOUR companies have been short-listed to operate the new $1 billion Perth Stadium at Burswood.

AEG Ogden, Nationwide Venue Management, Perth Stadium Management and Stadium Australia Operations have been short-listed.

The operator will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the sports and entertainment precinct, play a role in delivering a “fans first” experience and attracting high quality events.

Perth Stadium plans to open for the 2018 AFL season and will also host rugby, soccer, cricket, and international acts and artists.

WA Sport and Recreation Minister Mia Davies said the four respondents would receive Request for Proposals documentation so they could prepare for their tenders.

story-fnhocxo3-1227351701864

“Each submission will then be thoroughly reviewed and evaluated, and the contract is expected to be awarded in early 2016,” she said.

“The operator is expected to employ a number of full-time staff plus more than 1500 casuals to fulfil a year-round calendar of activities and events.”

789193-9d19543c-f84d-11e4-abad-a935b3e0d5c5.jpg

Four companies have been shortlisted to operate the new $1 billion Perth Stadium at Burswood.

The chosen operator will work closely with governance agency, VenuesWest, and facilities manager Brookfield Global Integrated Solutions.

WA Premier Colin Barnett said the 60,000 seat stadium development was progressing well and construction was on schedule.

“The state government received responses from a number of highly credentialed venue operators from around the world and I thank all of those who responded,” he said.

There are currently 100 workers on site and more than 5700 are expected to work on the project for the three-year construction period.

More than 50 per cent of the piles have been inserted on site to support the stadium structure and the first concrete slab was poured last week.

Brookfield Multiplex and John Laing won the contract to design, build, finance and manage the Perth Stadium in April last year.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...ea0f4ddc5b548ced5cc63763#.VVFrthBS1CY.twitter

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
For the sake of WA footy (IMHO) its good to see Perth Stadium Management are in with a chance.

The WA Football Commission has created a stadium management entity to spearhead not only its push to run the new stadium at Burswood but also other venues inside and potentially outside WA.
The WAFC will next month launch Perth Stadium Management, a stand-alone business unit in partnership with catering company Delaware North, concert promoter Live Nation and ticketing company Ticketmaster.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/26326408/footy-bid-to-run-stadiums/

Oct 7, 2003
Lubyanka Square
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Red Devil Sport Club
For the sake of WA footy (IMHO) its good to see Perth Stadium Management are in with a chance.

The WA Football Commission has created a stadium management entity to spearhead not only its push to run the new stadium at Burswood but also other venues inside and potentially outside WA.
The WAFC will next month launch Perth Stadium Management, a stand-alone business unit in partnership with catering company Delaware North, concert promoter Live Nation and ticketing company Ticketmaster.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/26326408/footy-bid-to-run-stadiums/
Obvious troll
WAFC have tried to stop this project at every turn,and you want them to run it
Real venue management companies should run it,not the old boys network that has turned Subi into the worst AFL venue in the country

FootyFan96

Senior List
Jan 30, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco FC, Perth Lynx
WAFC have tried to stop this project at every turn,and you want them to run it
Real venue management companies should run it,not the old boys network that has turned Subi into the worst AFL venue in the country

Good to see your on the side of logic and sense remembering that running the stadium is a business and giving the stadium to the WAFC is bad business sense.

Firstly PSM is already launched and is running subi at the moment.

Secondly Live Nation and Ticketmaster will jump ship to whoever gets the contract, the only reason they are with the WAFC at the moment is because they have subi.

Thirdly, trust me Delaware is nothing to brag about, the food both at Retail and Corporate level has declined dramatically since they took over from Spotless.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Good to see your on the side of logic and sense remembering that running the stadium is a business and giving the stadium to the WAFC is bad business sense.

Firstly PSM is already launched and is running subi at the moment.

Secondly Live Nation and Ticketmaster will jump ship to whoever gets the contract, the only reason they are with the WAFC at the moment is because they have subi.

Thirdly, trust me Delaware is nothing to brag about, the food both at Retail and Corporate level has declined dramatically since they took over from Spotless.

Are you the guy who wants to rip the money out of junior development to fund improvements to Subi? Lower grants to the WAFL clubs?

IF you checked the link on the launch of PSM, its dated Feb 18, 2015.

FootyFan96

Senior List
Jan 30, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco FC, Perth Lynx
IF you checked the link on the launch of PSM, its dated Feb 18, 2015.

Firstly, Sorry, I didn't noticed you used a direct quote from the article, my mistake.

Are you the guy who wants to rip the money out of junior development to fund improvements to Subi? Lower grants to the WAFL clubs?

I am not saying that that it is their job do major upgrades, what I am saying is that they should at least put money on the side to make sure that it is up to AFL standard, which at the moment it is no where close to. It has been said many times Subi is the worst AFL venue and it is in the second biggest state for Aussie Rules.

The new stadium will also be a much bigger workload, it cannot be just a secondary business as subi is now it has to be the total focus. You can't just say give it to the WAFC because they need it. It is just bad business. It is like saying because the Western Force is struggling give them the management rights to nib stadium it is not a good selling point.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Firstly, Sorry, I didn't noticed you used a direct quote from the article, my mistake.

I am not saying that that it is their job do major upgrades, what I am saying is that they should at least put money on the side to make sure that it is up to AFL standard, which at the moment it is no where close to. It has been said many times Subi is the worst AFL venue and it is in the second biggest state for Aussie Rules.

The new stadium will also be a much bigger workload, it cannot be just a secondary business as subi is now it has to be the total focus. You can't just say give it to the WAFC because they need it. It is just bad business. It is like saying because the Western Force is struggling give them the management rights to nib stadium it is not a good selling point.

The PSM model is a joint venture style arrangement & you are right it must be run independent of the WAFC, it is one of the parties involved.

Interesting comments from the new WAFC chairman:
McHenry said the change at the top would not mean any major shift in direction.
“There are obviously a number of major milestones that are a work in progress where the end results aren’t there yet,” he said.
“That is more about the financial result for football and Frank will be involved in that as well because we need to use every-body to the best of their ability to get those outcomes.”

Cooper said talks with the State Government over the new economic model for football were “getting to the tough end now where it is about the projections and the numbers”.
“It has been conducted in a very positive manner which gives us hope we will get to a good answer, but it won’t be easy to get there,” Cooper said.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/wafl/a/27879803/new-wafc-chairman-targets-cash/

My concern is WA footy & a sizeable portion of its funding is in doubt with the loss of Subi. The stadium management rights at the new stadium are the obvious fix. Yes, there needs to be checks & balances - the fiasco of the A League Grand Final venue can not be allowed to be the norm anywhere, & we've seen the bleating from Eddie McGuire on the subject over Subi.

FootyFan96

Senior List
Jan 30, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco FC, Perth Lynx
Cooper said talks with the State Government over the new economic model for football were “getting to the tough end now where it is about the projections and the numbers”.

The way I'm taking that is the know they are not going to win, on a business case atleast, it becomes evident when looking at the competition:

AEG Ogden: Perth Arena(which hasn't got many complaints and personally I find the experience brilliant and is almost exactly what I think should be at the new stadium), they also run the O2 arena in London.

Stadium Australia Management: From what I've hear the management and fan services are good it is just the stadium, which lets some people down.

Nationwide Venue Management: they are pretty much Spotless which is one of the biggest venue managers in Australia and New Zealand and I think (correct me if I am wrong) work with the MCG Trust at the MCG.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
The way I'm taking that is the know they are not going to win, on a business case atleast, it becomes evident when looking at the competition:

AEG Ogden: Perth Arena(which hasn't got many complaints and personally I find the experience brilliant and is almost exactly what I think should be at the new stadium), they also run the O2 arena in London.

Stadium Australia Management: From what I've hear the management and fan services are good it is just the stadium, which lets some people down.

Nationwide Venue Management: they are pretty much Spotless which is one of the biggest venue managers in Australia and New Zealand and I think (correct me if I am wrong) work with the MCG Trust at the MCG.

Spot on 96 - nonetheless I'm sure a professional operation by the WAFC can employ the necessary people to do the job - the demise of Nick Sautner weakens their bid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back