Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Tazmania

Premiership Player
Mar 27, 2007
Back in WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
I can't put my trust in an organisation (wafc) that has repeatedly shown that despite the money they have reked in over the years from Fremantle and west coast, have been unable to pay back any of their loans from the government and continually ask for debt relief.

We want the stadium to be profitable.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I can't put my trust in an organisation (wafc) that has repeatedly shown that despite the money they have reked in over the years from Fremantle and west coast, have been unable to pay back any of their loans from the government and continually ask for debt relief.

We want the stadium to be profitable.

A widely held view Taz, but should the money you claim should have been spent on creature comforts been taken from junior development? From the WAFL?
Oh no? Maybe you want the AFL clubs to pay more, more likely you are simply confused.

the money they have reked in over the years ... you are kidding yourself !!

Tazmania

Premiership Player
Mar 27, 2007
Back in WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
A widely held view Taz, but should the money you claim should have been spent on creature comforts been taken from junior development? From the WAFL?
Oh no? Maybe you want the AFL clubs to pay more, more likely you are simply confused.

the money they have reked in over the years ... you are kidding yourself !!

I don't recall them being a charity...do they not have an obligation to pay back their debts to taxpayers?

FootyFan96

Senior List
Jan 30, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco FC, Perth Lynx

The problem people have is that if they have an obligation to make sure, as leaseholders, that the stadium is well maintained and people want to go there. They should have always made room in their budget for upkeep of the stadium but they have failed to do so which means they have lost their reputation and will probably cost them the lease to the new stadium. It also isn't exactly they they have nothing in their last financial report they have $67 million in assets they they need to work harder to make money such as developing.

If a person goes to the footy such as I have every fortnight for the last 15 years as a spectator you feel disrespected because they take your money (at higher prices then the rest of the nation) and provide you with one of, if not, the worst stadium experiences in the AFL.

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I thought the stadium was 70,000 capacity not 60,000?
Does look like a great stadium though.
Would have though for the money they are spending they could have had 70k capacity and even a roof.

FootyFan96

Senior List
Jan 30, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco FC, Perth Lynx
I thought the stadium was 70,000 capacity not 60,000?
Does look like a great stadium though.
Would have though for the money they are spending they could have had 70k capacity and even a roof.

60,000 expandable to 70,000

It will be, in quality, miles ahead of anything else in Australia at the moment. This will be on the level of Wembley Stadium. A roof is a waste of money and it becomes difficult to expand in the future.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
60,000 expandable to 70,000

It will be, in quality, miles ahead of anything else in Australia at the moment. This will be on the level of Wembley Stadium. A roof is a waste of money and it becomes difficult to expand in the future.

Lets not get too carried away, Adelaide oval is a pretty high benchmark to beat at the moment.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
The problem people have is that if they have an obligation to make sure, as leaseholders, that the stadium is well maintained and people want to go there. They should have always made room in their budget for upkeep of the stadium but they have failed to do so which means they have lost their reputation and will probably cost them the lease to the new stadium. It also isn't exactly they they have nothing in their last financial report they have $67 million in assets they they need to work harder to make money such as developing.

If a person goes to the footy such as I have every fortnight for the last 15 years as a spectator you feel disrespected because they take your money (at higher prices then the rest of the nation) and provide you with one of, if not, the worst stadium experiences in the AFL.

No problem with the principle, but there is not enough money to give you what you want. Going forward with a new stadium the problem is going to be breaking even.

FootyFan96

Senior List
Jan 30, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco FC, Perth Lynx
If you don't rate Adelaide Oval highly, I think there's a fairly good chance the new Perth Stadium will fail to meet your lofty expectations.

I rate Adelaide Oval very highly, thats why Perth is taking ideas from it but this won't be an upgrade to an existing venue this is starting from nothing with everything modern and better quality than any other sporting venue in Australia.

Back