Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

22 games a year plus finals will deliver close on a million people to the new stadium (more than 800,000 went to Subiaco last year). Over the next 20 years or so, that's paying the stadium off. Not an annual rugby union test (just over 25,000 last year), or once off soccer matches, or the odd concert. Your dreaming if you think otherwise. Without the AFL this is a white elephant, especially if Cricket doesn't go.

The taxpayers of Western Australia are paying for it. The AFL are only the major source of income for it for as long as they are the major tenants, which relies on the basic assumption that the AFL will be around for as long as the stadium. Who knows if the AFL will survive for so long?

The taxpayers of Western Australia are paying for it. The AFL are only the major source of income for it for as long as they are the major tenants, which relies on the basic assumption that the AFL will be around for as long as the stadium. Who knows if the AFL will survive for so long?

The Taxpayer may pay for it, but its the AFL that will generate the money to pay it back, no other sport will in our lifetime. The AFL has every right to seek to get the best deal for itself and its clubs, just like any other commercial entity on the planet. The Government needs the AFL to be a tenant for the stadium not to be a collosal waste of money - especially with them spending money on Perth oval for the rectangle codes - the AFL doesn't necessarily need to be one at the new place.

The Taxpayer may pay for it, but its the AFL that will generate the money to pay it back, no other sport will in our lifetime. The AFL has every right to seek to get the best deal for itself and its clubs, just like any other commercial entity on the planet. The Government needs the AFL to be a tenant for the stadium not to be a collosal waste of money - especially with them spending money on Perth oval for the rectangle codes - the AFL doesn't necessarily need to be one at the new place.

Clown,

The stadium is aimed at events that add value to the city and promote WA on a global scale. 1 Soccer match or rugby match or concert will generate 20 times that compared to an AFL match.

Internal revenue is useless, Global foreign dollars are what counts.

AFL is struggling in Perth, crowds are down, interest is down despite having 2 teams at the top. The attendances for when Eagles and Docker are struggling are not short of embarrasssing.

In modern day business for a stadium. It needs to be independantly managed. Why would we want a piss poor organsiation such as the AFL to ruin the AFL in the way they are already ruining their sport.

Clown,

The stadium is aimed at events that add value to the city and promote WA on a global scale. 1 Soccer match or rugby match or concert will generate 20 times that compared to an AFL match.

AFL is struggling in Perth, crowds are down, interest is down despite having 2 teams at the top. The attendances for when Eagles and Docker are struggling are not short of embarrasssing.

In modern day business for a stadium. It needs to be independantly managed. Why would we want a piss poor organsiation such as the AFL to ruin the AFL in the way they are already ruining their sport.

Average of 35,000 when we won the spoon in 2010?

Average of 35,000 when we won the spoon in 2010?

For AFL ticket prices which are cheap. The income level in Perth. The fact that they are boring losers. Yes 35k is pretty s**t. Even on second on the ladder atm you would be lucky to average that this year. lol

For AFL ticket prices which are cheap. The income level in Perth. The fact that they are boring losers. Yes 35k is pretty s**t. Even on second on the ladder atm you would be lucky to average that this year. lol

West Coast prices are cheap compared to what other sport in this country?

$30-80 in a country where the medium income is over 1000pw is * all compared to other countries.

Living in New York. I feel really sorry for you losers who are still back home. Luckily Barnett won't subscribe to such ridiculous that the WA Football commission are trying to bully their way into.

Peace.

Clown,

Dollars count. Where they come from is irrelevant.

AFL is struggling in Perth? Interest is down? Attendances struggling? If you say so champ. Memberships and Crowds say otherwise. Both clubs at record membership - freo close to 50k, the eagles close to 60k. Crowds at Subiaco consistently between 35-36k - haven't been below 35k since 2010. Not to mention that ratings for the AFL in Perth are up 8% - the only mainland capital to have a positive increase so far this year.

Last years rugby test generated an attendance of 25,000. You want to bet that it brought in more revenue than an AFL final held on the same day? (and its relevant given it was held during the finals period with Freo in contention). Soccer? The World Cup Qualifier in September is so big its being played at nib stadium - first time they've had a socceroos match in ten years. I bet that outdoes an AFL final for revenue - again relevant due to being held during the AFL finals series.

But yeah, Im a clown.

Dollars count. Where they come from is irrelevant.

AFL is struggling in Perth? Interest is down? Attendances struggling? If you say so champ. Memberships and Crowds say otherwise. Both clubs at record membership - freo close to 50k, the eagles close to 60k. Crowds at Subiaco consistently between 35-36k - haven't been below 35k since 2010. Not to mention that ratings for the AFL in Perth are up 8% - the only mainland capital to have a positive increase so far this year.

Last years rugby test generated an attendance of 25,000. You want to bet that it brought in more revenue than an AFL final held on the same day? (and its relevant given it was held during the finals period with Freo in contention). Soccer? The World Cup Qualifier in September is so big its being played at nib stadium - first time they've had a socceroos match in ten years. I bet that outdoes an AFL final for revenue - again relevant due to being held during the AFL finals series.

But yeah, Im a clown.

Yes you're a clown.

Freo don't have 50000 members. by that logic Manchester United have 6 Million members

Attendances are down. Look at the data.

As for Dollars? how much revenue does AFL generate in Perth???? not that much.

Moral of the story. The AFL doesn't have the money to invest anything in the stadium and has no say.

The AFL is spending more money and is dropping in revenue and interest. That's the definition of a loser.

Yes you're a clown.

Freo don't have 50000 members. by that logic Manchester United have 6 Million members

Attendances are down. Look at the data.

As for Dollars? how much revenue does AFL generate in Perth???? not that much.

Moral of the story. The AFL doesn't have the money to invest anything in the stadium and has no say.

The AFL is spending more money and is dropping in revenue and interest. That's the definition of a loser.

1. Wrong. Freo have had 50,000 since at least May April 24.
2. Wrong. Attendances this year average 35,884. Last years attendace average was 35,064.
3. I don't have the figures on AFL generated revenue in Perth, but neither do you.
4. Moral of the story, you seem to be generally wrong. Even so, the AFL is permitted to negotiate before deciding to move games there.
5. Wrong. The AFL is generating more revenue than it has ever done before topping 524 million (up from 502 million) last year at league HQ, with a lazy 89 million the bank. To further prove you are wrong, Last year West Coasts revenue rose by 2 million from $55 million to 57 million, Fremantles revenue rose from 46 million to 49 million. The WAFL generated 129 million, up from 117 million.

That's the definition of someone who is categorically wrong in t least 3 out of 5 statements. Another is misguided and another there simply isn't the data.

Clown,

Let's all laugh at the troll!

1. Wrong. Freo have had 50,000 since at least May April 24.
2. Wrong. Attendances this year average 35,884. Last years attendace average was 35,064.
3. I don't have the figures on AFL generated revenue in Perth, but neither do you.
4. Moral of the story, you seem to be generally wrong. Even so, the AFL is permitted to negotiate before deciding to move games there.
5. Wrong. The AFL is generating more revenue than it has ever done before topping 524 million (up from 502 million) last year at league HQ, with a lazy 89 million the bank. To further prove you are wrong, Last year West Coasts revenue rose by 2 million from $55 million to 57 million, Fremantles revenue rose from 46 million to 49 million. The WAFL generated 129 million, up from 117 million.

That's the definition of someone who is categorically wrong in t least 3 out of 5 statements. Another is misguided and another there simply isn't the data.
Nicely done

But the AFL are essentially paying for it. The ground isn't going to be full every week for half the year to watch rugby or soccer. And even then, i'd imagine the AFL wouldn't have many objections to another event scheduled there on a Friday or Sunday. That can be easily worked around. The Saturday fixtures in September really screw them around, and I reckon they've got every right to demand that sort of guarantee. It's not an onerous one.

I don't think it should be a deal-breaker for the AFL. Exactly the same state of affairs applies now regards the Wallabies playing at Subi. It is an inconvenience to the AFL that they potentially won't have the ideal arrangement for finals scheduling. So far the potential clash hasn't happened, but if it does the AFL can work around it. We don't live in a perfect world, and the AFL may have to compromise once in while, it won't be such a disaster as what people are saying. Talk of not shifting to the new stadium is just cutting off one's nose to spite one's face.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think it should be a deal-breaker for the AFL. Exactly the same state of affairs applies now regards the Wallabies playing at Subi. It is an inconvenience to the AFL that they potentially won't have the ideal arrangement for finals scheduling. So far the potential clash hasn't happened, but if it does the AFL can work around it. We don't live in a perfect world, and the AFL may have to compromise once in while, it won't be such a disaster as what people are saying. Talk of not shifting to the new stadium is just cutting off one's nose to spite one's face.

Its nothing more than a negotiating position, as long as the financials work out, the move will happen regardless. The AFL lives with events midseason at the MCG and Adelaide Oval...it can live with it here if it has to.

**** off carrrnnnt..

How does freo have 50000 members????

Also over 80% of WCE members are over 60? inside knowledge with that one. have fun growing ur game lol

We'll put the new Perth stadium on the map for ya.

Wrong again.

According to the West Coast Eagles 2013 Hospitality Guide the demographic breakdown of West Coast Eagles members is:

• Average age across all members is 31 years (Men) and 32 years (Women)
• Men make up 62% of total members (57% of WA seated members)
• Women make up 38% of total members (43% of WA seated members)
• Derived from the WA fan base 47% are located Metro North, 28% are located Metro South and 26% are Regional.

Of course. But gee, you reckon the clubs would be happy if stadium management booked the venue out in September for Friday to Sunday for a few concerts? That's great you finished top, but because some nincompoop booked out your home ground you have to play your home final in Melbourne. It's not in the government's interests for that to happen either, so i'd be surprised if they didn't come to a deal. The 2 AFL clubs are going to be the stadium's best customers by a country mile, and obviously with such status they deserve (and will get) a preferential deal.

Of course. But gee, you reckon the clubs would be happy if stadium management booked the venue out in September for Friday to Sunday for a few concerts? That's great you finished top, but because some nincompoop booked out your home ground you have to play your home final in Melbourne. It's not in the government's interests for that to happen either, so i'd be surprised if they didn't come to a deal. The 2 AFL clubs are going to be the stadium's best customers by a country mile, and obviously with such status they deserve (and will get) a preferential deal.

I don't think there would be concerts in September (or indeed most of the footy season) because of the weather anyway. Concerts would be a summer months thing I feel.

Well replace concerts with a big monster truck spectacular then. Something that really digs up the grass and makes it unplayable.

I think that is getting a bit silly. The stadium wouldn't host anything during the footy season that would rip up the turf. We were talking about the AFL wanting to lock out other codes for the sake of their scheduling convenience and perhaps their own commercial competitive advantage.

I think that is getting a bit silly. The stadium wouldn't host anything during the footy season that would rip up the turf. We were talking about the AFL wanting to lock out other codes for the sake of their scheduling convenience and perhaps their own commercial competitive advantage.

I think the AFL are probably just trying to protect themselves. I'm guessing they want first preference from March to September, and dates left open for finals. I don't think that's unreasonable on face value.
I doubt they'd be too concerned with the financial implications for the clubs, i.e the stadium deal component. The clubs can worry about that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back