Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

Talks between WA footy & the State Government to resume without the AFL ... good move, the AFL haven't got much right when it comes to stadium deals, battling to think of anything they've got right ....

Talks have been on hold since a round of meetings between West Coast, Fremantle and the AFL in June, at which the Government became increasingly frustrated at football's unwillingness to bend on key financial details of a user agreement that will underpin the business model of the $1.4 billion, 60,000-seat stadium under construction at Burswood.
It is understood today’s talks will involve West Coast and Fremantle, but not representatives of the AFL.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/business/wa/a/29276049/tussle-restarts-over-stadium/

Talks between WA footy & the State Government to resume without the AFL ... good move, the AFL haven't got much right when it comes to stadium deals, battling to think of anything they've got right ....

Talks have been on hold since a round of meetings between West Coast, Fremantle and the AFL in June, at which the Government became increasingly frustrated at football's unwillingness to bend on key financial details of a user agreement that will underpin the business model of the $1.4 billion, 60,000-seat stadium under construction at Burswood.
It is understood today’s talks will involve West Coast and Fremantle, but not representatives of the AFL.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/business/wa/a/29276049/tussle-restarts-over-stadium/

they arent involved TODAY. They'll be involved again Im sure.

they arent involved TODAY. They'll be involved again Im sure.
To be fair to the AFL, mostly involving Demetriou's regime. Can you think of any more perfect stadium setup australia wide? Gold coast stadium built for commonwealth games basically gifted to Gold coast as their home ground. GWS with their own boutique stadium. Adelaide oval ... enough said. SCG redevelopment with Swans having the biggest attendance of any Sydney sport team. And now probably the best stadium ever built in Australia in Perth stadium.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair to the AFL, mostly involving Demetriou's regime. Can you think of any more perfect stadium setup australia wide? Gold coast stadium built for commonwealth games basically gifted to Gold coast as their home ground. GWS with their own boutique stadium. Adelaide oval ... enough said. SCG redevelopment with Swans having the biggest attendance of any Sydney sport team. And now probably the best stadium ever built in Australia in Perth stadium.

Yep, kick in a few bucks & pay up as per the original commitment - IF they wanted to be involved in a positive way, they'd relocate loss making games out of Melbourne (happy to relocate anywhere but Perth & Adelaide but thats a different story), IF the WAFC lead bid for stadium management was to win (that deal not available for the competing bid involving Mike Fitzpatrick).

& end up with a half full stadium like the MCG - all at a higher cost to fans, to members - 22 x AFL games only. Mindless recipe for mediocrity.
Not sure the stadium would be ever half full with a 75K capacity.

It would be a lot cheaper to add 15k now than in 15 years. Given the projected growth of the city it's a no-brainer, but I guess that's how WA do things. I suspect the clubs memberships would grow considerably on the back of having a state of the art stadium and guaranteed seat. Not to mention neutrals just rocking up. Subiaco Oval has driven a lot of people away from watching live footy in Perth, this is the perfect opportunity to promote/allow people to return again.

Are they not planning on playing cricket there? :confused:

Not sure the stadium would be ever half full with a 75K capacity.

It would be a lot cheaper to add 15k now than in 15 years. Given the projected growth of the city it's a no-brainer, but I guess that's how WA do things. I suspect the clubs memberships would grow considerably on the back of having a state of the art stadium and guaranteed seat. Not to mention neutrals just rocking up. Subiaco Oval has driven a lot of people away from watching live footy in Perth, this is the perfect opportunity to promote/allow people to return again.

Are they not planning on playing cricket there? :confused:
I cant wait, I can start watching the two Richmond Perth games again, Subi is just too uncomfortable and hard to get tickets for.

I think 65k might have been a bit better initially but 75k is just too much, apart from finals and derbies most games would have a lot of empty seats.
Not sure the empty seat theory holds much weight tbh.

Given how s**t Subi oval is, I suspect a lot of neutrals/non members would flock to games in the new stadium.

Not to mention a swell of new members for Freo and WC and a rapidly growing city...imo 60k in 2.5 years time will be barely suitable and once people see how awesome it is compared to Subi not enough in 5 years.

I guess we'll have to see ;)

Not sure the empty seat theory holds much weight tbh.

Given how s**t Subi oval is, I suspect a lot of neutrals/non members would flock to games in the new stadium.

Not to mention a swell of new members for Freo and WC and a rapidly growing city...imo 60k in 2.5 years time will be barely suitable and once people see how awesome it is compared to Subi not enough in 5 years.

I guess we'll have to see ;)

It is being designed for 60k mate with the future needs to be able to take it to 70k which I think is plenty and a very big stadium.
Stadiums these days rarely are built bigger than 50-60k. We are lucky in our country to have the MCG as we would never build a stadium that size again. We see in American football now that the Super Bowl is not played in the biggest stadium, it is bid out to high paying cities and after the MCG contract expires I would expect that to happen here as well in Australia. You and I might think more bums on seats is better but business does not care about that and they will make a fortune for the AFL bidding out the grand final yearly. Far in excess financially than they would with 20k more people at the ground. The AFL would do it now if they could I reckon. The financial upside is to big not to.

It is being designed for 60k mate with the future needs to be able to take it to 70k which I think is plenty and a very big stadium.
Stadiums these days rarely are built bigger than 50-60k. We are lucky in our country to have the MCG as we would never build a stadium that size again. We see in American football now that the Super Bowl is not played in the biggest stadium, it is bid out to high paying cities and after the MCG contract expires I would expect that to happen here as well in Australia. You and I might think more bums on seats is better but business does not care about that and they will make a fortune for the AFL bidding out the grand final yearly. Far in excess financially than they would with 20k more people at the ground. The AFL would do it now if they could I reckon. The financial upside is to big not to.
So financially its better to wait to build an extra 10k seats in 15 years when building costs will no doubt be close to double, not to mention disruption costs etc.
mmm k :confused:

So financially its better to wait to build an extra 10k seats in 15 years when building costs will no doubt be close to double, not to mention disruption costs etc.
mmm k :confused:

Mate you are talking about governments here, nothing makes much sense when they are in the picture. But like the AFL, if it makes sense then do the opposite.

Mate you are talking about governments here, nothing makes much sense when they are in the picture. But like the AFL, if it makes sense then do the opposite.
Such a shame that they've missed a golden opportunity here to put WA footy on the map in a proper way and future proof sport in the state.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back