Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

There are projects that simply had to go ahead, we didn't and we don't have the option of just sitting back on our laurels and playing penny-wise pound-foolish conservative managers. The lack of infrastructure spending in past decades makes for a perfect storm with the rampant immigration.

And I think it was only one agency that downrated us.

action pending:
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...-deal/story-fnko7zi0-1226859441561#mm-premium

Crown is rumoured to have included an unsoliticited proposal to develop a luxury retail precinct that will link the stadium to its new hotel as part of Brookfield’s bid for the contract to build the stadium.

Crown is believed to have sounded out the other bidders for the stadium project as well, before settling on teaming up with Brookfield.

Representatives for Crown and Brookfield declined to comment yesterday.

I don't understand how Arsenal FC can build a 60,000 seater stadium in one of the most congested cities in the world (London) on the site of an old rubbish tip (including demolishing the older stadium at the same time) within two years - February 2004 - July 2006

Yet here we are in 2014....3 years after announcing where it would be we haven't even started building the damn thing and it's not expected to be complete until 2018.....4 BLOODY YEARS LATER!!??

This makes no sense whatsoever.

I don't understand how Arsenal FC can build a 60,000 seater stadium in one of the most congested cities in the world (London) on the site of an old rubbish tip (including demolishing the older stadium at the same time) within two years - February 2004 - July 2006

Yet here we are in 2014....3 years after announcing where it would be we haven't even started building the damn thing and it's not expected to be complete until 2018.....4 BLOODY YEARS LATER!!??

Private enterprise beats Government every time ....

10,000 seats for tourism must be an ambit claim ?

The Tourism Council will today reveal its comprehensive strategy to make Perth one of Australia's top four tourist destinations, creating 11,000 new jobs over the next six years.

Council chief executive Evan Hall said Perth was a growing world-class city that needed a strategy to grow as a world-class tourist destination.

"This strategy will turn new assets like the stadium and museum into tourism export dollars and jobs," he said.

Other recommendations include:
·Ensure the new sports stadium can realise its tourism potential by providing at least 10,000 seats for interstate visitors.
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/business/a/22129657/light-up-the-city/

I' strongly support growing tourism on the back of AFL footy but .... 10k seats is an overkill.

It makes perfect sense.

Arsenal own the stadium and financed the project. They are one of the wealthiest sporting organisations in the world and needed to upgrade. (Obviously WA needs to upgrade too).

In addition, the stadium cost roughly $AU700m in today's money adjusted for inflation. Quite a bit less than the stadium at Burswood.

I think you're forgetting (or didn't know) that Arsenal had purchased land at Ashburton Grove and started planning the stadium in 1999/2000. So there was plenty of planning beforehand, then they got going on the stadium.

As for the four year construction timeline, maybe it's because of the roof (which the Emirates doesn't have) and significant infrastructure. The infrastructure at the Emirtates consisted of construction of a few roads and pedestrain bridges plus an upgrade of Arsenal Station. A lot more needs to be done at Burswood. And although London may be congested in general, the area around Ashburton Grove is one of the most open publically accessible areas in contiguous London, so construction didn't pose many challenges.

So like I said; it does make sense.

Would love it if someone knowledgeable about both AAMI Stadium and Adelaide Oval could give me a few advantages/disadvantages of moving stadiums; for spectators, stadium facilities and for both Adelaide/Port Adelaide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love it if someone knowledgeable about both AAMI Stadium and Adelaide Oval could give me a few advantages/disadvantages of moving stadiums; for spectators, stadium facilities and for both Adelaide/Port Adelaide.

Disadvantages - people living close to AAMI now have to travel

Advantages - pretty much EVERYTHING else.

even the little things. people sitting in the first few rows at AAMI couldn't see the other side of the field. it was an inverted desert bowl. AO laser flat.

a bigger thing - AAMI had almost no cover from the elements. AO 70%+.

the list of improvements is vast.

Sorry, I hadn't heard about a roof being in the picture before.
Are they going to make it like Etihad?

Emirates (Arsenal) has a massive roof. they have 100% coverage of the seats. unless Perth is having a Etihad (melbourne) style roof which i've never heard any serious rumblings about.

Sorry, I hadn't heard about a roof being in the picture before.
Are they going to make it like Etihad?

I thought I heard on the grapevine a retractable would be involved.

$1.1 billion is a lot for a stadium without a roof.

Emirates (Arsenal) has a massive roof. they have 100% coverage of the seats. unless Perth is having a Etihad (melbourne) style roof which i've never heard any serious rumblings about.

By roof I mean like the Etihad roof, not partially covered like the Emirates. Retractable roof stadiums are bloody expensive, whereas the Emirates was actually decent priced.

I thought I heard on the grapevine a retractable would be involved.

$1.1 billion is a lot for a stadium without a roof.

By roof I mean like the Etihad roof, not partially covered like the Emirates. Retractable roof stadiums are bloody expensive, whereas the Emirates was actually decent priced.

Not just a stadium.

Government finance being the biggest issue. Construction costs are similar but the Perth Stadium will be a much larger building.

You're not considering the time it would have taken to choose the site for what would become Emirates Stadium, the stadium was approved in late 2001. Or the design or the finance.

The actual stadium started construction in early 2004, that doesn't include demo or ground works.

So will this 60-65k stadium be expandable if required to a larger capacity in the future? Or will 60-65k be set in stone via the design?

Expandable. One of the design criteria is the ability for a quick, easy and inexpensive expansion in the future for like say a Fifa world cup or a Commonwealth Games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back