Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

So no expense modifying the existing infrastructure to add extra capacity, just bolt it on.

That was the initial concept when Jim McGinty & Labor was driving the concepts, yes. Build out the best seating along the wings and leave space behind the goals for another 20k seats to simply bolt on. Im not convinced that concept carried through to this design. Mind you no one has seen any plans or much of anything really. The renders dont seem promising to be honest.

That was the initial concept when Jim McGinty & Labor was driving the concepts, yes. Build out the best seating along the wings and leave space behind the goals for another 20k seats to simply bolt on. Im not convinced that concept carried through to this design. Mind you no one has seen any plans or much of anything really. The renders dont seem promising to be honest.
When labor was in power they were trying to shoehorn a second rate stadium into built up suburbia.

People say the same about Coopers Stadium - listen to some people you'd think it's out in the sticks, when it's one train stop out of the city, there's a tram stop that's a 5 minute walk, there's several bus routes nearby, a massive car park across the road, and theoretically you could walk from the city to the stadium (about a 30 minute walk).
Admittedly, Perth Oval does have all of these- cept for the car park. That's where it goes wrong. Impractical for traffic around the stadium and relies on public transport a fair bit. Much like Subi Oval. So just hoping the new Burswood Station has large walkways as well as allow practical access to the stadium. To be fair, Perth public transport has upgraded significantly over the last decade.

When labor was in power they were trying to shoehorn a second rate stadium into built up suburbia.
So were the Liberals. It took a task force 5-6 years to decide on the best location. In that time the price for the stadium became so inflated. Will be more then 1.5 billion once it is fully operational. Whilst in that time could've actually built the stadium. It's the problem with Government in WA. Only gets built close to election time. Noticed how the 'Gateway' around the airport as well as road projects are being completed.

Yeah, stupidest idea ever. Agreed.

But what im talking about is the actual stadium design that Jim McGinty and the taskforce came up with.

Here, let me reacquaint you with it.
Stadium_WA.jpg

One thing you will notice is the fully developed wings, with virtually no grandstands behind the goals. That is where your 20k expansion goes. Remove that section of roof and literally bolt on another 20k seats, bringing 60k up to 80k quickly, cheaply and easily. eg actually design the stadium to the final 80k seats and build the first 60k of that design. It was inspired design.

Im concerned that the new design doesnt have this feature and any expansion will suddenly be revealed as
"oh hell, we have to knock over this whole stand to expand it. its gonna cost 400 million and take 3 years"

..."yeah, sorry about that"

..."yeah, i know its too small"

...."sorry about that"

Hope im wrong.

But what im talking about is the actual stadium design that Jim McGinty and the taskforce came up with.

Stadium_WA.jpg

One thing you will notice is the fully developed wings, with virtually no grandstands behind the goals. That is where your 20k expansion goes. Remove that section of roof and literally bolt on another 20k seats, bringing 60k up to 80k quickly, cheaply and easily. eg actually design the stadium to the final 80k seats and build the first 60k of that design. It was inspired design.

Im concerned that the new design doesnt have this feature and any expansion will suddenly be revealed as
"oh hell, we have to knock over this whole stand to expand it. its gonna cost 400 million and take 3 years"

...."sorry about that"

Hope im wrong.
Is this the exisiting Subiaco Oval locationl? It's a great short term plan in order to win the fans and have a heritage feel to it. But long term, unless significantly upgrades to the train station as well as the surrounding areas happen (apartments, shops redevelopment) would have been inadequate within 10-20 years. Having a stadium within the 'burbs never works. Only Subiaco Council and the WAFC would benefit, and still have the problem of transport to and from games.

Is this the exisiting Subiaco Oval locationl? It's a great short term plan in order to win the fans and have a heritage feel to it. But long term, unless significantly upgrades to the train station as well as the surrounding areas happen (apartments, shops redevelopment) would have been inadequate within 10-20 years. Having a stadium within the 'burbs never works. Only Subiaco Council and the WAFC would benefit, and still have the problem of transport to and from games.
Huh? he's talking specifically about the design, nothing to do with the location. Did you even read the post?

Stadium_WA.jpg

...."sorry about that"

Hope im wrong.

The Stadium web page specifies the extra 10,000 seats are designed to fit within the existing structure. But exactly how or where I don't know. So the roof won't need to be taken down and rebuilt to lift capacity to 70,000.

http://www.perthstadium.com.au/project-design/stadium-and-sports-precinct-design

As far as the old stadium project goes, I'm not sure that stadium design ever progressed beyond a generic outline and artist impression.

Last edited:
As far as the old stadium project goes, I'm not sure that stadium design ever progressed beyond a generic outline and artist impression.

It was taken to a project definition plan by a small team of clever consultants who McGinty commissioned to oversee / advise the Stadium Taskforce. Not quite to the same level as the document that was sent out to tender for Burswood, but similar enough. It was a design brief that stated that the stadium be designed to 80k and staged to start at 60k and be expandable in chunks without major disruptions.

FWIW, the scale-ability outcome is very achievable. Here is a brand new stadium that is practically expandable without causing virtually any disruptions. Perhaps by as much as 30%, making it larger than the new perth stadium.
aerialview.aspx

I worry about ours.

the-new-perth-stadium-and-sports-precinct-athletics-format.jpg

Where do the extra seats go?

FWIW, the scale-ability outcome is very achievable. Here is a brand new stadium that is practically expandable without causing virtually any disruptions. Perhaps by as much as 30%, making it larger than the new perth stadium.
aerialview.aspx

Except Adelaide Oval is anything BUT expandable. The SACA will never allow the Hill to be removed, and those fig trees are heritage listed. AO is staying at 55k for a very long time.

The design criteria for the new Perth stadium always clearly indicated that the stadium has to be upgradable to 80k in the future. There's no way that's been ignored. It's going to be upgradable.

Except Adelaide Oval is anything BUT expandable. The SACA will never allow the Hill to be removed, and those fig trees are heritage listed. AO is staying at 55k for a very long time.

The design criteria for the new Perth stadium always clearly indicated that the stadium has to be upgradable to 80k in the future. There's no way that's been ignored. It's going to be upgradable.
It is upgradeable, but pretty sure they changed it to upgradeable to 70K. This was the issue for some people, that in the future they could only easily add 10K more seating. However 70K is a pretty big stadium, not sure it needs to be bigger honestly.

It will be added onto the wings in a self contained structure - it's on page 53 of the stadium report. Doubt it will happen for many years though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also interesting to read about the sight lines for the stadium

Seating Bowl Dimensions and Sight Lines
The stadium will have a coliseum style seating bowl around the field of play, similar to Etihad Stadium and the Melbourne Cricket Ground. The seating dimensions for the bowl will be: „
General admission – row depth 825mm, seat spacing 500mm (standard is greater than Etihad Stadium). „
Premium seating level – row depth 900mm, seat spacing 550mm (standard similar to Etihad Stadium). „
Suite level – row depth 950mm, seat spacing 550mm (standard similar to Etihad Stadium)

The dimensions are based on the development of a balanced seating bowl, which seeks to achieve the best balance between sight lines and proximity to play. It is envisaged that: „ These dimensions will produce sight lines in the lower tier that are significantly better than the Melbourne Cricket Ground lower tier and marginally less than the Etihad Stadium lower tier

The upper tier sight lines will match the Melbourne Cricket Ground upper tier sight lines.

The club and suite tier sight lines will match the Melbourne Cricket Ground sight lines but with proximity similar to Etihad Stadium. The following diagram (Figure 15) highlights this relationship

Reconfiguration into Rectangular Mode
The functional brief proposes that the front row of seating will be raised 1.5m from ground level to allow for 5,000 temporary “bump in” seats to reconfigure the new Perth Stadium into a rectangular format. This approach would not only improve the sight lines for spectators by elevating their seating position, but it also provides the opportunity to develop new hospitality products such as field clubs beneath the seating tier, consistent with several successful American models

Train Station (first 3 pics)

stadium-station151016b_zpsbdidnun4.jpg

Hosted on PhotoBucket (by me)

stadium-station151016c_zpsf9ykseew.jpg

stadium-station151016a_zpsarisacks.jpg

(Stadium pics start here)
From eastern side

stadium-151016a_zpspmhlmvy4.jpg

stadium-151016b_zpsa90jxq9f.jpg

stadium-151016c_zpsrbtjbg8r.jpg

stadium-151016d_zpsdgk0nfzk.jpg

From south-east
stadium-151016e_zpsjbwtbt1i.jpg

stadium-151016f_zpsuejydsoc.jpg

From west
stadium-151016g_zpsbs4nvk9c.jpg

From north-west
stadium-151016h_zpsc42fn6iw.jpg

The old golf island green being used by the wildlife
stadium-151016i_zpsqlph87kx.jpg

Last edited:
Train Station

From eastern side

From south-east

From west

From north-west

Awesome photos mate :thumbsu:

Train Station (first 3 pics)

(Stadium pics start here)
From eastern side

From south-east

From west

From north-west

Awesome photos mate, already looks better than Subi!

Admittedly, Perth Oval does have all of these- cept for the car park. That's where it goes wrong. Impractical for traffic around the stadium and relies on public transport a fair bit. Much like Subi Oval. So just hoping the new Burswood Station has large walkways as well as allow practical access to the stadium. To be fair, Perth public transport has upgraded significantly over the last decade.
How's the light rail coming along ? No I'm kidding the stations and trains look pretty good in Perth

Remove this Banner Ad

Back