FTA-TV The Newsroom

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if when the episode was initially written when they didn't know whether they'd be coming back for a season 3. Wonder if it was tweaked a little bit because it could have doubled as one of those series finals when a show is cut before its ready.

Brian Cranston, John Hamm and Kevin Spacey.

What a rip, I mean Daniels is good but seriously? Imo it should have been Spacey > Cranston > Daniels > Hamm.

What a rip, I mean Daniels is good but seriously? Imo it should have been Spacey > Cranston > Daniels > Hamm.
I would have gone Cranston > Spacey > Hamm > Daniels

I really like Jeff Daniels, but I'm not sure there's enough focus on him on The Newsroom, particularly outside the broadcasts, to warrant Best Actor.

I would have gone Cranston > Spacey > Hamm > Daniels

I really like Jeff Daniels, but I'm not sure there's enough focus on him on The Newsroom, particularly outside the broadcasts, to warrant Best Actor.

Spacey and Cranston were basically even but I put Spacey first because HOC was such a breakout and amazing new show this year.

I agree that Daniels really didn't stand out in season 2 due to the strong performances of some of the other cast members. So I'm surprised that he won it over Cranston who has been amazing.

Weird decision. Maybe it had something to do with Cranston having won a couple of Emmys for BB already. Definitely has more the feel of a 'career' award, rather than the award for this specific show.

There was some cloud over whether the Newsroom would be coming back next year. Maybe the award voters felt like if they didn't give Daniels an Emmy this year, he might never get one.

Surely you're joking.

Which had a lot to do with it involving very little romance at all.
Just watched the first season and In that season alone the running romantic plots included Charlie and Zoe, CJ and Danny, Sam and the hooker, Sam and Leo's daughter, Josh and Donna, Josh and the deaf lady and Josh and the lady who disappeared after season 1. When you add them all up they took an awful lot of time out of the show.

The dialogue is also far better in the Newsroom. I found the the overall plot this season a little dull but the dialogue is first class. West Wings isn't at the same level. West Wing was ahead of its time. But when compared to tv now it is just a good show.

I agree that Daniels really didn't stand out in season 2 due to the strong performances of some of the other cast members. So I'm surprised that he won it over Cranston who has been amazing.

Daniels deserved it for season 1. But not season 2. Hopefully this show will now get some more support. Most underrated show on tv. As good as House of Cards.

Daniels was nominated for the very first episode of The Newsroom (S1 E1). This Emmy's eligibility period ran from 1/6/12 - 31/5/13, so none of S2 was included

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daniels was good in the first seaosn, still reckon Spacey was better in HOC.

Great finale. I think everyone has forgotten the crappy romantic subplots from the West wing. This is a far superior show. Season started slow but the last 3eps have been fantastic.

:confused:

Just watched the first season and In that season alone the running romantic plots included Charlie and Zoe, CJ and Danny, Sam and the hooker, Sam and Leo's daughter, Josh and Donna, Josh and the deaf lady and Josh and the lady who disappeared after season 1. When you add them all up they took an awful lot of time out of the show.

Those arcs happened across the course of a season that was twice as long as the Newsroom, and rarely did they drive plot or overshadow the story (Josh and Donna was only an implied thing early on too). The Newsroom overdoes that stuff, there was never anything in TWW remotely similar to that cheesy last part of the Newsroom's season 2 finale.

Daniels was good in the first seaosn, still reckon Spacey was better in HOC.

:confused:

Those arcs happened across the course of a season that was twice as long as the Newsroom, and rarely did they drive plot or overshadow the story (Josh and Donna was only an implied thing early on too). The Newsroom overdoes that stuff, there was never anything in TWW remotely similar to that cheesy last part of the Newsroom's season 2 finale.
Nah I disagree. west wing did it just as much. It's particularly bad in West wing because these guys are supposed to be running the country.

I recently watched the first episode again with my sister because she hadn't seen any of the show before. Daniels is really great in that episode, going on his America is not #1 tirade, being so angry at Charlie for hiring Mac and then of course his seething hatred/mistrust/disappointment/still-in-love-ness of Mac. He plays it exceptionally well and I'm only mildly surprised he won the Emmy ... I'm fairly sure he won't win it next year as his character didn't have as commanding an episode as that one in season 2.

Also, I'm pretty happy it's been picked up for a third season. Although I guess you can never be sure of that until the network actually confirms it.

He even wrote an ep on The West Wing about drugs didn't he? Coke users/sellers were given a lighter penalty that's because majority of users are white people? Or something like that.

Yes, he was fired from the west wing due to his coke addiction, the show went down hill when he left.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back