The Next Expansion Team?

Where would you like to see the next expansion team established?

• Hobart, TAS

Votes: 63 81.8%
  • Darwin, NT

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Ballarat, VIC

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Sunshine Coast, QLD

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • Alice Springs, NT

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

JD Tomahawk

Cancelled
SFA Good Friday Appeal Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 17, 2015
Wimmera
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Boro
Expansion is inevitable in the ever growing game of Aussie Rules. From Country footy's small towns merging there clubs to new Suburban teams being established in the big smoke . GC & GWS are slowly building but when the time comes, where would you like to see the next expansion team established?

I would have to say Alice Springs, NT. Not only would it be great for Indigenous population but the raw aussie talent that's running through the blood of those lads up there is absolutely crazy.

I would have to say Alice Springs, NT. Not only would it be great for Indigenous population but the raw aussie talent that's running through the blood of those lads up there is absolutely crazy.
Alice Springs has a population of just 25,000. The AFL will never consider creating a team there.

Bendigo:
2015: 113,132
2031: 145,608

Ballarat:
2015: 100,834
2031: 128,331

Neither are getting any sort of team (relocation or expansion) anytime soon, but I don't see the obsession with Ballarat. They're too close to Geelong and Bendigo has a bigger area to cover in Northern Victoria.
I recon theyd be able to pull 30k members regardless.

If you think people are adverse to living in Perth just wait until no one wants to go to Alice Springs
Obviously the place would have to grow a bit. im talking 20--30 years away. Its in the middle of Aus not to bad for a team travelling to the Alice really. Plus they love there footy in the NT, they deserve a team whether that be Darwin or Alice Springs.

Of those options Tas is the only option. No way does Vic need another team, NT teams will never be able to attract players until the place is a more desirable place to live for young men and QLD isn't ready for another team, especially not so close to the GC and so soon after they came into the comp.

Anything other than Hobart would be unfair. The Tassies have been good supporters of Australian rules almost since its invention. In reply to the argument that 'most Tasmanians already support North Melbourne or Hawthorn', I firmly believe the people will support a new team which is really local (rather than occasionally playing there for commercial gain). Remember, in South Australia we didn't have a team until 1991, only the SANFL which was already in decline. Tasmania has been marginalised enough. The next expansion team must come from that heartland Aussie rules state.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

T A S S I E
A
S
S
I
E

Tasmania with the team based in Hobart , home games will be split b/w Hobart and Launceston

Ballarat will becomes the Bulldogs second home ground hosting 2-3 games a year

I went with Darwin. I would like to see a NT team. Watching the NT Thunder in the neafl and The talent they have is incredible.
Can't see a Hobart team happening with North and Hawks already playing in tassie, four games a year each.

Would you call the Tassie team Hobart ****** FC or Tasmania ***** FC?

Hobart > Darwin > Sunshine Coast
all 3 should have a team already.
If we are to stay at 22 rounds then I'd suggest adding 2 more in so we can have 23 teams. A third SA/WA team would do the trick.
Suggest Norwood and I got nfi for WA

I don't see any more expansion teams popping up for at least another decade and a half, possibly 2. By that time, the Suns will be a quarter of a century old, and the Suns and Giants will be signing Father/Son picks.

I see the next big expansion club to be the Sunshine Coast. With a booming population with a similar demographic as the Gold Coast (minus the plethora of Kiwis), there's already an Aussie Rules following. With a population in 2035 predicted to be more than 500k, it's the obvious choice.

I personally think Tasmania deserves a team, but with the population of Tasmania almost completely stagnant, with most of the populus already supporting an AFL team, it's hardly an investment. You'll only get current AFL club members switching allegiances, and even then, very few would be willing to change clubs.

I don't think there can be a 19 team competition, so if the Sunshine Coast Stingrays (el oh el) were to eventuate, there would need to be another club to follow the next year. If not Tasmania, I'd say another NSW team pending the success of GWS.

Singapore Scorpions/Sharks/Stars/Scythers or Wellington Wizards/Warriors/Wonders/Wreckers/Wormburners/Weedles

sfuOHPO.jpg

*Note: Epic Weedle graphic is not mine. I just added the footy and silver fern.

I went with Darwin because I think it would solve some of the problems with Aboriginal kids turning their back on AFL footy. Thus increasing the talent in the AFL and reducing the impact of another AFL list on the overall talent pool in the league. If the expansion team does not help that problem it won't happen any time soon. People talking about another Victorian team clearly have a few screws loose. Victoria already have too many teams. Hell half of the teams in Victoria only exist because of AFL handouts.

Back