• Keep it at 2.30pm

Votes: 230 59.6%
  • Twilight (5pm)

Votes: 82 21.2%
  • Night (7pm)

Votes: 74 19.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Having grown up watching the NRL grand finals on a sunday arvo i felt it lost its appeal moving to the night. Just doesn't feel the same to me. The spectacle actually diminishes during the night as the standard of play isnt as good. The only thing it works for is tv audience and fireworks...

It seems our tv networks, buoyed by the ratings for the NRL GF, are seeking a night/twilight grand final once again, with the head of Channel 7, Lewis Martin, commenting on MMM's Hot Breakfast, that such a move would given 7 a million more viewers.

For me, I would be worried about what a night/twilight grand final could actually do.

How many of us love a drink on GF day? By extension, how many of us get hammered? What would moving the match to the evening/night would do in terms of that consumption? How many people would then end up in hospital as a result of either the consumption or the potential violence from it.

Should our tv networks have more control on when we view the match?

And what about the impact on families or corporates?

So let's see how people feel.

Lewis Martin is the Manager of Seven Melbourne, head of TV is Tim Worner based in Sydney - just for the record the Melbourne manager aint king of the world.

As for a GF based on the NRL time frame, there will be those who cant manage their grog, but not any worse than a start with breakfast.

A Night grand final means that you get maybe 2 hours to celebrate winning before going to bed instead of 6 or 7.

Yeah no thanks...
If you are old. If you are young and wild and celebrating the game you could go for hours and finish up at 6 or 7 in the morning.

The celebrations don't concern me. It's the quality of the product. The games themselves wouldn't be as good at night I don't think.

Change is scary for many. I wouldn't mind seeing a twilight grand final, as long as it finishes before 8. I went over to the twilight prelim last year which had an amazing atmosphere. Playing at twilight/night definitely adds to the occasion imo.

I'm just worried that once it goes night time it never comes back. I'd like to see it rotate through the three timeslots every three years.
I think that's actually a fine idea and more or less keeps everyone happy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seems our tv networks, buoyed by the ratings for the NRL GF, are seeking a night/twilight grand final once again, with the head of Channel 7, Lewis Martin, commenting on MMM's Hot Breakfast, that such a move would given 7 a million more viewers.

For me, I would be worried about what a night/twilight grand final could actually do.

How many of us love a drink on GF day? By extension, how many of us get hammered? What would moving the match to the evening/night would do in terms of that consumption? How many people would then end up in hospital as a result of either the consumption or the potential violence from it.

Should our tv networks have more control on when we view the match?

And what about the impact on families or corporates?

So let's see how people feel.
Less drunks as people would start drinking at 5-7pm not 2pm.

5 - 5.30pm best start time. Half the crowd spends the day looking into the sun at present.
Late enough to for decent half time entertainment.
8pm finish not too late for kids.

Been the players day since the very first one in 1898. Every player strives for a premiership. By extension that means they strive to play on Grand Final day.
Funnily enough it was 1898 when it became the fans day too.

Grand Final is the players' day, not everyone else's. The quicker they can get to the park and play the game, the better they will be. Imagine having to sit around until 8pm to play a Grand Final, it would be hell.
Just lol, when they now get paid 100s of thousands these days I'm sure they can make the sacrifice of waiting a few extra hours to play a game of footy.

Back