Wii/U The Nintendo Wii U thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Kriste, Nuts and Bolts was a disgrace to classic 3D platformers. And guess whose fault that was? : shifty eyed look :
Seriously what was nuts and bolts? Never played it but from bits and pieces I've gathered it was like 80% create/ drive a car around and 20% platforming? That does not a Banjo-Kazooie game make.

Seriously what was nuts and bolts? Never played it but from bits and pieces I've gathered it was like 80% create/ drive a car around and 20% platforming? That does not a Banjo-Kazooie game make.
We both have never played it but I've watched various reviews and Youtubers and that does seem to be the gist.

Not to mention ... how ugly everything was.

Going into this generation I felt that it was probably going to be the last traditional generation of gaming consoles. I felt that the next Xbox and Playstation would be little steambox type things. I still feel that's where the Xbox was headed. I hope the PS4s success, and the fact it's the only division of Sony doing well, means they stay the course.

Always felt Nintendo would go around at least one more time for a few reasons. Firstly I could see them wanting to at least catch up hardware wise to the Xbox1 and PS4. Secondly because they are a pure gaming company. Given their bank balance, and the fact they've just turned a profit, I still think there'll be another traditional console from them.

I think Nintendo sees the NX as a way of catching up - not by releasing a console that will do them for another five/six years, but by allowing them to release incremental updates every one or two. They've shown off this idea with the DSi and New 3DS, both of which involve small hardware updates. This also means that they can be flexible with their devices according to the markets they're selling to. The language they've used around their next consoles supports this idea.

Iwata said:
We will not announce any details about NX until 2016. I used the name "NX" during our joint press conference with DeNA on March 17 because we thought that our announcing the business alliance with DeNA to start a smart device business could result in such misunderstanding as "Nintendo is making a transfer to smart devices because it is pessimistic about the future for dedicated video game systems." I intentionally chose to announce the development of NX so early because I wanted to confirm the fact that we are developing a new dedicated video game platform, that we have never lost passion regarding the future for dedicated video game systems and that we have bright prospects for them. Though I cannot confirm when it will be launched or any other details of the system, since I have confirmed that it will be "a dedicated video game platform with a brand new concept," it should mean that we do not intend it to become a simple "replacement" for Nintendo 3DS or Wii U.

Your question also included the "current notion of thinking about home consoles and handheld devices." When it comes to how dedicated game systems are being played, the situations have become rather different, especially between Japan and overseas. Since we are always thinking about how to create a new platform that will be accepted by as many people around the world as possible, we would like to offer to them "a dedicated video game platform with a brand new concept" by taking into consideration various factors, including the playing environments that differ by country. This is all that I can confirm today.

Iwata at an earlier date said said:
I am not sure if the form factor (the size and configuration of the hardware) will be integrated. In contrast, the number of form factors might increase. Currently, we can only provide two form factors because if we had three or four different architectures, we would face serious shortages of software on every platform. To cite a specific case, Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms. Apple has a common platform called iOS. Another example is Android. Though there are various models, Android does not face software shortages because there is one common way of programming on the Android platform that works with various models.

The point is, Nintendo platforms should be like those two examples. Whether we will ultimately need just one device will be determined by what consumers demand in the future, and that is not something we know at the moment. However, we are hoping to change and correct the situation in which we develop games for different platforms individually and sometimes disappoint consumers with game shortages as we attempt to move from one platform to another, and we believe that we will be able to deliver tangible results in the future.

The second quote box is so interesting - the first paragraph is hinting that there will be two of the same kind of device like an iPhone an iPad, or perhaps more like an iPad and an iMac. They have taken baby steps integrating the Wii U and 3DS eShops but this is properly connecting all their devices. I wonder what the incentive would be to own both NXs, if the games are going to be the same. They're going to come up with something way out of left field for sure.

The second quote box is so interesting - the first paragraph is hinting that there will be two of the same kind of device like an iPhone an iPad, or perhaps more like an iPad and an iMac. They have taken baby steps integrating the Wii U and 3DS eShops but this is properly connecting all their devices. I wonder what the incentive would be to own both NXs, if the games are going to be the same. They're going to come up with something way out of left field for sure.

Yes, this is what I believe will happen. There would be games that you can only play on the home console - like the main Zelda - but you'll be able to play most games on both, have saves on both, and, I imagine, use the handheld as a controller.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure people would buy it, but would people really enjoy a Pokemon game ported to console?

I don't know what other people are thinking when they suggest it, but I'm talking about flat out identical version of the game.

For me, if it were to be on console, I'd like a whole revamp of the game mechanics.

Can't believe I haven't touched that game in ages. And I haven't even scratched the surface of it.
It's one of those games that I desperately want to go back and replay but (a) I don't have the time to go back and re-learn the mechanics, and (b) I've certainly got enough of a backlog as is...

Pokemon on Wii U, in my mind, would have a Ni No Kuni look and feel to it. And that was an amazing game.
Was definitely a great game, but the biggest problem I had with it that the monsters in that game lacked major creativity and the evolutions and names were s**t.

Was definitely a great game, but the biggest problem I had with it that the monsters in that game lacked major creativity and the evolutions and names were s**t.
I can see where you're coming from. One thing I did like with the metamorphoses (and the level progression in general) though, in comparison to Pokemon, was that they completely redefined the line. For example, the skeleton guy (can't remember the name, haha) was weak as piss until about level 60. Once you hit that final stage and continued to level up, it became near on unstoppable. Pokemon's very predictable with its progression.

Dammit you guys, you're making me want to play Ni No Kuni, and making me want a Wii U Pokemon to exist.

Please expand.

Look at the numbers.

Firstly, you're assuming that every loss from Wii to Wii U is from a 'casual', which is clearly not right. Even if two-thirds of sales were from this market, that's still around 35 million sales that weren't - 25 million more than the Wii U's current sales.

The One is tracking closer to the original Xbox than it is to the 360.

The PS4 will sell more than the PS3, but it will not make up the gap from the other two consoles. That's already of loss of market in the tens of millions.

Those going from Wii to Wii U have presumably already done so. This is probably the last year that people are going to happily remain with 7th gen consoles, and the sales we're seeing so far don't suggest anything incredible.

Then you take in the handheld market, in which the 3DS has a third of the DS' sales, and Sony has lost almost its entire market, and I don't see how you can argue that the market loss is purely from Wii casuals. It is far too simplistic an argument, and it flies in the face of the numbers.

A Pokemon Stadium 3 would of done me nicely, so to a HD remake of F Zero X. Nintendo is shooting themselves in the foot not releasing simple games like these which had immense replay value.

one of the many lame E3 round up videos I watched summed up how I think so many people view Nintendo for reasons I personally don't get, I think they are just stuck in the past. They spent 10 out of 11 minutes frothing over everything to do with Tomb Raider and Rainbow Six and Xbox and Halo and all this stuff that's been around forever, nothing cool in any of these returning franchises, just the standard FPS action, Tomb Raider just looked like a movie, I mean there's no actual gaming. Then they get to Nintendo and say "nothing new here you know, Mario, Zelda, the same old but the fans love it" etc.... like the agenda here is just so noticeable, isn't it? or are people just that stupid? Mario Maker is the most original thing at E3 isn't it? not to say it's awesome but I mean it's not just a Mario game and Mario games are never just that anyway, not when you treat them as their own games like a gamer should. when it becomes about fashion and what's cool like music has, the opinion of the idiot takes over which is pretty sad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back