Wii/U The Nintendo Wii U thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Fallout 4 showed how game announcements should be done. Get the game essentially completed, decide on a release date and a few months before that announce the game.

Nintendo need to learn this asap because constant delays like this kill the hype for a game.

Hopefully just a rumour

Fallout 4 showed how game announcements should be done. Get the game essentially completed, decide on a release date and a few months before that announce the game.

Nintendo need to learn this asap because constant delays like this kill the hype for a game.

Hopefully just a rumour
Nintendo can't win though. Stay silent and everyone complains that they're doing nothing.

Nintendo can't win though. Stay silent and everyone complains that they're doing nothing.
That goes to the much larger problem of having no 3rd party support though.

If you've gotta announce games so far out from the release date, at least do what they did with the Zelda delay and give nothing more specific than the release year.

With Zelda they can still do the big Fallout style reveal if they want. Nothing's been released really and there's nothing negative out there.

Star fox is already limping badly and we've not even got the release date in sight yet. It's been mishandled horribly.

the ideas they had for using the gamepad to go through small spaces or whatever was a bit lame and truly a gimmick - people throw that around too much but this seemed a little forced. at the same time i can see it from their angle, that stuff is fun and interactive for kids but yeah just a little shallow overall it seems. these delays should make for a better game though, that's good right? if these delays make it go from potentially good to actually decent then it could end up being a good game.

the ideas they had for using the gamepad to go through small spaces or whatever was a bit lame and truly a gimmick - people throw that around too much but this seemed a little forced. at the same time i can see it from their angle, that stuff is fun and interactive for kids but yeah just a little shallow overall it seems. these delays should make for a better game though, that's good right? if these delays make it go from potentially good to actually decent then it could end up being a good game.
No doubt it will be a better game with another delay.

I just think there have been so many delays now (assuming the rumour is true of course) that most people who don't have the nostalgia for star fox have probably lost enthusiasm for it.

those kids seem to be clamouring for anything. do you know how mental they are over Zelda U? so much anger yet everyone will buy it

it only went from '2015' to 'Q2 2016' to now probably later Q2 or Q3

those kids seem to be clamouring for anything. do you know how mental they are over Zelda U? so much anger yet everyone will buy it

it only went from '2015' to 'Q2 2016' to now probably later Q2 or Q3
I'll admit I don't know how mental kids are for starfox, nor any game for that matter. There will always be the people who buy the game no matter what and that's not really who I'm talking about.

What I'm saying is delays combined with, at best mixed reviews on the game (from what we've seen so far), are going to lower hype for the game and consequentially it's sales.

I think comparing Zelda to Starfox is like comparing apples and oranges. Zelda is one of the biggest game series' in the world and has a track record of regular, consistently good games. Starfox, for all it's diehard fans, is a fairly niche series that is relying a lot on nostalgia to generate hype. Therefore Zelda gets a lot more latitude in delaying the game to get it right.

Zelda U has also been delayed in a much more strategised way. I admit that it shouldn't have been announced in 2013 - 3 years is crazy. But they came out early last year and said we need til 2016 to get it right. Not ideal but there was no mucking around and they still have E3 to go bang with a full on reveal, given the scarce footage so far (which looks fantastic).

Starfox doesn't have that opportunity anymore unfortunately which makes it hard to have as good a launch as it should have.

Don't get me wrong, I hope it's a really good game and I don't have a problem per se with delays - I wrote in here (or the Zelda thread) that I was happy for Zelda U to be delayed if they got it right - but nothing I'm seeing yet from Starfox is giving me confidence that it will launch well.

Obviously this whole post is absolutely redundant if that rumour is wrong :p

TL;DR Delays + underwhelming footage = hard slog for games

Nowadays known as the Mighty No 9 syndrome. Previously known as the Duke Nukem Forever syndrome.
Ugh mighty no 9.

Starfox won't get that bad, but they have to make sure they stay as far away from that territory as possible.

Has anyone actually played starfox zero here? I haven't but wouldn't mind if they ditched motion controls altogether.

Ugh mighty no 9.

Starfox won't get that bad, but they have to make sure they stay as far away from that territory as possible.

Has anyone actually played starfox zero here? I haven't but wouldn't mind if they ditched motion controls altogether.

I'm hoping the game has pro controller support because not everyone wants to use the game pad.one of my pet hates with Nintendo is forcing the consumer to use motion controls/game pad with some of their games.

https://accounts.nintendo.com/

you can register for a Nintendo Account now. i did it with my NNID. not sure what the benefits are to signing up now, i think you get some small token later on but if you can why not!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully just a rumour

If there's one thing Bethesda know how to do, it's market an extremely buggy piece of s**t like a fully completed game.

pokken and twilight princess coming next month, i think pokken looks sweet after seeing some footage of it in english, arcadey, polished. tekken producer makes pokemon fighter. can't be bad. although i'm wondering what controllers will be compatible, hopefully the wii classic controllers in a wiimote will work cos i don't have a pro controller and probably won't buy the pokken-only controller for $40...

pokken and twilight princess coming next month, i think pokken looks sweet after seeing some footage of it in english, arcadey, polished. tekken producer makes pokemon fighter. can't be bad. although i'm wondering what controllers will be compatible, hopefully the wii classic controllers in a wiimote will work cos i don't have a pro controller and probably won't buy the pokken-only controller for $40...
Can't get hyped for Pokken Tournament at all. Will definitely be one I try to pick up on the cheap later on. God damn collecting...

Looks like you're in luck, these are the compatible controllers.

• Wii U GamePad
  • Wii U Pro Controller
    Classic Controller Pro
    (A Wii Remote Controller or Wii Remote Controller Plus is required to use this controller)
  • Pokkén Tournament Pro Pad

Target seems to still have a pretty decent range- at least the stores around me do- so will be interesting to see when they start slashing prices.

Target (and to a lesser extent Big W) is what I'm keeping my eye on. A decent range of games I'd like to pick up with decent volume.

Will look to grab Mario 3D, Windwaker, MK8 & Mario Maker as the year progresses. Maybe Yoshi & DK depending on price.

Target (and to a lesser extent Big W) is what I'm keeping my eye on. A decent range of games I'd like to pick up with decent volume.

Will look to grab Mario 3D, Windwaker, MK8 & Mario Maker as the year progresses. Maybe Yoshi & DK depending on price.
Yeah I'd highly recommend getting 4 of the top 5 games on the Wii U (MK8, DK, Mario Maker and Mario 3d World) at least you have Splatoon so it's a start ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back