Wii/U The Nintendo Wii U thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Wonder if the new game by Retro is Metroid?
Rumors floating about that it could be F-Zero or Star Fox or even a new IP altogether
Interested to see what it is.
I almost wish it was another Donkey Kong just to see the comments sections on sites like IGN and GameSpot explode with sanctimonious PS4 and Xbox fans complaining about the lack of new IPs (despite ignoring them when they actually come out).

To those raving on about how good Mario Kart 8 is going to be and how they can't wait to play it, just buy fricken Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed. It shits on the entire Mario Kart series ffs.

Unless Mario Characters mean a great deal to you, there's absolutely no reason for you to avoid it in favour of Mario Kart.

To those raving on about how good Mario Kart 8 is going to be and how they can't wait to play it, just buy fricken Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed. It shits on the entire Mario Kart series ffs.

Unless Mario Characters mean a great deal to you, there's absolutely no reason for you to avoid it in favour of Mario Kart.

I plan on buying this for my Wii U, heard it's alot of fun!

images

Don't try to change me.

But in all seriousness I'll probably be picking that up too, heard nothing but good things about it.

Interested to see what it is.
I almost wish it was another Donkey Kong just to see the comments sections on sites like IGN and GameSpot explode with sanctimonious PS4 and Xbox fans complaining about the lack of new IPs (despite ignoring them when they actually come out).

Why is it unreasonable to complain about a lack of new IP?

What substantial new IP has Nintendo introduced over the last gen and this one?

Wii Sports which was massive.

Wii Music & Wii Party which were middling and Nintendo Land.

What else is there? I know there's more but I forget it.

I'd love to see what Retro could do if given the directive of 'create our next great Nintendo franchise' because they are one of the best developers in the world.

I'm also aware of my hypocrisy considering I said a few pages back I'd love them to work on a new Metroid Prime game.

Why is it unreasonable to complain about a lack of new IP?

What substantial new IP has Nintendo introduced over the last gen and this one?

Wii Sports which was massive.

Wii Music & Wii Party which were middling and Nintendo Land.

What else is there? I know there's more but I forget it.

I'd love to see what Retro could do if given the directive of 'create our next great Nintendo franchise' because they are one of the best developers in the world.

I'm also aware of my hypocrisy considering I said a few pages back I'd love them to work on a new Metroid Prime game.
Substantial? Perhaps not, but there's plenty of other good offerings that are by and large ignored in favour of the same old argument, such as Xenoblade and The Last Story. I also think the whole new IP argument is a little tired because of how much the franchises have evolved from the beginning.
Hypocrisy excused, everyone wants a new Metroid Prime game and we can trust Retro with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove the substantial.

But what new IP has Nintendo looked to implement via first/second parties since the Wii's inception?

Rhythm Heaven, Endless Ocean, Steel Diver, Dillon's Rolling Western, Wonderful 101, Fossil Fighters, Pushmo, The Last Story...

GET THE **** AROUND ME!

Took me the best part of five hours today but I did. I finally did it.

Fifty hours plus, but I got all stars, all flags, all stamps (except for the five for beating the game with all five characters - no chance of that) and finally beat that hellacious shitstorm known as Champion Road.

Now, onto Wind Waker.

I put 8 hours into it yesterday. I still only have 153 stars. The thing is it's not a chore to go through all the levels as the game is so damn fun.

Don't try to change me.

But in all seriousness I'll probably be picking that up too, heard nothing but good things about it.
The irony is it could well change you. I've since played Mario Kart Wii & Double Dash after 190 hours of All-Stars Racing Transformed and it's not the same. It's just too slow, way too easy to be good & nowhere near as much depth in the driving.

Once you go Transformed, you can never go unformed.

The irony is it could well change you. I've since played Mario Kart Wii & Double Dash after 190 hours of All-Stars Racing Transformed and it's not the same. It's just too slow, way too easy to be good & nowhere near as much depth in the driving.

Once you go Transformed, you can never go unformed.
It is too fast for some though. My n00b Nintendo fangirl fiance has trouble controlling her vehicles because everything is whizzing past too fast.

I'm with you though, it's is a substantially better series in my opinion. Just wish they'd stop with this mobile rubbish and give us a third one for consoles.

Quoting here to avoid ruining the E3 Thread.
Nintendo's not going to leave the console market anytime soon. The original Wii was a success numbers-wise, sure the Wii U has been selling horribly but they'll back themselves to bounce back with future consoles.
I know, but that doesn't mean it's the right decision.
That has been their strategy for their entire history.
Which is why they probably won't change any time soon, regardless of whether or not they should.
That is why they were able to make a profit every financial year for thirty years. They have cared more about being profitable than being big. The big problem with the Wii U hasn't been the sales, it's been that they're still making a loss on every console that has been sold.
Well if they continue to keep going the way they're going, their profits will inevitably decline over time. With the industry becoming more & more competitive, you need to think big in order to survive.

It's clear they lack the talent to compete with Sony & Microsoft in the Home Console Market. It's a fat chance they'll be able to come up with another Wii any time soon because creating a new & revolutionary product heaps of people will buy is kind of hard to do, let alone consistently over a long period of time.
They are not going to give up their primary source of income because they've had one poorly selling console, particularly after the previous console was one of the best selling consoles of all time.
I know they won't, I just don't think it will be the right decision.

I know they scored big with the Wii, but that's a bit of a one-off. They've clearly illustrated a lack of understanding of the Western Market as of late (let's not forget the Gamecube), and it's very difficult to see them returning to even have the glory they had with the Wii.
Releasing their big games on other home consoles would further increase the pressure on their handhelds. They would have to significantly reduce their staff, placing more pressure on games that they release to be big selling money makers. If one of those fails...

They aren't Sega.
Not sure why they'd have to reduce staff in their handheld department; just keep it the same way it is. The handheld console market is diminishing anyway with the evolution of Androids; if Smartphones could cut the 3DS's profits in half compared to the DS, then it's only going to get worse once they implement an actual control scheme.

Anyway, you're right about Nintendo not being Sega; they have far more talent in their software department & it's hard to see them make horrible game after horrible game. Not sure why they'd be under pressure to release more games when developing for other consoles; they're not under pressure now (or at least they don't think they are) so why would they be when developing for the PS4/Xbox1?

Last edited:
The WiiU has been a bit of a bust due to poor marketing. People thought the tablet control was an add on for the current system. It legitimately needed to be marketed as its own system with a new better name.

As for getting out of the console market, what a silly suggestion. The Gameboy to my knowledge has never posted a loss and those systems will always keep Nintendo afloat. Also, without Nintendo, where will Sony and Microsoft steal their ideas from. And lastly, they were printing their own money effectively with the Wii. There is no way the WiiU has been so bad its made Nintendo insolvent.

Lastly, they have a loyal fanbase. I know a lot of people, myself included, who have a PC and a Wii because all the best games are on those two systems. Sure i had to wait for Dark Souls 2 but the graphics mod i added to it has made it better than the console version.

As for getting out of the console market, what a silly suggestion. The Gameboy to my knowledge has never posted a loss and those systems will always keep Nintendo afloat.
The Gameboy as in their Portable Systems? You do realize that entire market got cut in half by Android Devices? The 3DS isn't doing nearly as well as the DS, and you can only assume it'll get harder to compete from this point in time.
And lastly, they were printing their own money effectively with the Wii. There is no way the WiiU has been so bad its made Nintendo insolvent.
They'll never make something as successful as the Wii again, bookmark it. That system was released just at the right time with the right technology, and everything just came together perfectly. They've already demonstrated with the WiiU, the Gamecube & to an extent, the Nintendo 64 that they don't excel at marketing Hardware (certainly not in the west). Also, the Home Console Market is only getting more and more competitive, and with Nintendo clearly not very interested in working with third party developers, it's only going to get tougher unless they create another miracle system that the casuals will buy, like they tried to do with the Wiiu.
Lastly, they have a loyal fanbase. I know a lot of people, myself included, who have a PC and a Wii because all the best games are on those two systems. Sure i had to wait for Dark Souls 2 but the graphics mod i added to it has made it better than the console version.
I've been a very loyal fan; had a 64, a Gamecube, a Wii, a lot of games & played the hell out of them. I don't own a WiiU though, and I believe that a lot of people similar to me followed suit.

I'm not a fanboy though; anyone who wants them to keep making consoles simply because they like the brand is an idiot.

Pretty good offer, if you buy Mario Kart 8 and register it to club nintendo before July 31st you can choose a free game from:

Nintendo Land
New Super Mario Bros. U
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Game & Wario
Pikmin 3
The Wonderful 101
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
Sonic Lost World
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games
Wii Party U

Will probably pick up Mario and Sonic, Wonderful 101 or Pikmin 3 (already have Zelda), not sure which one though. Hopefully this along with the Mario Kart Bundle gets the Wii U rolling a little bit. MK looks ******* great too

Quoting here to avoid ruining the E3 Thread.

I know, but that doesn't mean it's the right decision.

Which is why they probably won't change any time soon, regardless of whether or not they should.

Well if they continue to keep going the way they're going, their profits will inevitably decline over time. With the industry becoming more & more competitive, you need to think big in order to survive.

It's clear they lack the talent to compete with Sony & Microsoft in the Home Console Market. It's a fat chance they'll be able to come up with another Wii any time soon because creating a new & revolutionary product heaps of people will buy is kind of hard to do, let alone consistently over a long period of time.

I know they won't, I just don't think it will be the right decision.

I know they scored big with the Wii, but that's a bit of a one-off. They've clearly illustrated a lack of understanding of the Western Market as of late (let's not forget the Gamecube), and it's very difficult to see them returning to even have the glory they had with the Wii.

Not sure why they'd have to reduce staff in their handheld department; just keep it the same way it is. The handheld console market is diminishing anyway with the evolution of Androids; if Smartphones could cut the 3DS's profits in half compared to the DS, then it's only going to get worse once they implement an actual control scheme.

Anyway, you're right about Nintendo not being Sega; they have far more talent in their software department & it's hard to see them make horrible game after horrible game. Not sure why they'd be under pressure to release more games when developing for other consoles; they're not under pressure now (or at least they don't think they are) so why would they be when developing for the PS4/Xbox1?

The Gameboy as in their Portable Systems? You do realize that entire market got cut in half by Android Devices? The 3DS isn't doing nearly as well as the DS, and you can only assume it'll get harder to compete from this point in time.

They'll never make something as successful as the Wii again, bookmark it. That system was released just at the right time with the right technology, and everything just came together perfectly. They've already demonstrated with the WiiU, the Gamecube & to an extent, the Nintendo 64 that they don't excel at marketing Hardware (certainly not in the west). Also, the Home Console Market is only getting more and more competitive, and with Nintendo clearly not very interested in working with third party developers, it's only going to get tougher unless they create another miracle system that the casuals will buy, like they tried to do with the Wiiu.

I've been a very loyal fan; had a 64, a Gamecube, a Wii, a lot of games & played the hell out of them. I don't own a WiiU though, and I believe that a lot of people similar to me followed suit.

I'm not a fanboy though; anyone who wants them to keep making consoles simply because they like the brand is an idiot.

Why should we bookmark anything you say? It'll be years and years before we can make any comment on the truth or otherwise of what you're saying, which means you are free to talk with impunity.

Sales are not as important as profit. They made a profit last financial year despite the Wii U's sales and despite the 3DS having its audience cut away.

They are not going to give up home consoles to do handhelds only, because they have just merged their departments. They've indicated that they want the home and handheld consoles to work together within a wider framework.

Quitting the home console business now would be a short term 'solution' which would cause further long term problems.

You seem to be seriously underestimating the extent to which Nintendo relies on hardware revenue. The supposed rise in software revenue simply would not make up that gap.

Why should we bookmark anything you say? It'll be years and years before we can make any comment on the truth or otherwise of what you're saying, which means you are free to talk with impunity.
Didn't really think that through, I guess it's a result from all this early AFL List Management shenanigans.
Sales are not as important as profit. They made a profit last financial year despite the Wii U's sales and despite the 3DS having its audience cut away.

They are not going to give up home consoles to do handhelds only, because they have just merged their departments. They've indicated that they want the home and handheld consoles to work together within a wider framework.

Quitting the home console business now would be a short term 'solution' which would cause further long term problems.

You seem to be seriously underestimating the extent to which Nintendo relies on hardware revenue. The supposed rise in software revenue simply would not make up that gap.
Simply making a profit isn't going to cut the mustard for much longer, they've endured diminishing returns for the last few years, and it's not going to get any better as the WiiU gets older.

Exiting the Home Console Market isn't a short-term solution by any stretch, it's a long-term one. With the Console Market becoming more and more competitive, it's becoming harder for a company like Nintendo to sustain themselves & consistently make a profit, which is compounded by the lack of talent in their marketing department (particularly Satoru Iwata) and simply failing to understand the Western Market.

I'm having a hard time believing Nintendo would make more of a profit by releasing consoles that don't sell well than they would by releasing all their first-party software on other consoles; Mario Kart alone could sell up to 40 million copies if released on both the Xbox & PS compared to the less than 6 million being exclusive to their own console, so imagine if they released Zelda, Mario, Smash Bros, Metroid, DK etc on all platforms (including maybe Androids)?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back