Wii/U The Nintendo Wii U thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 7, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Gotta hand it to Nintendo, they now have me curious in Splatoon - a game that's genre and art style should do nothing for me. That's the big N magic.

I applaud you LCynic, I just can't get into Amiibo collecting. Am more than content with my Marth and Little Mac. I find I'm becoming a physical game collector/ hoarder more and more though...

Gotta hand it to Nintendo, they now have me curious in Splatoon - a game that's genre and art style should do nothing for me. That's the big N magic.

I applaud you LCynic, I just can't get into Amiibo collecting. Am more than content with my Marth and Little Mac. I find I'm becoming a physical game collector/ hoarder more and more though...
I'm kinda pathetic that way. But I appreciate your sentiments.

I saw Splatoon's gameplay on the Direct. Definitely has a lot of merit.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yeah also surprisingly interested in Splatoon after the direct. But * me other than that Nintendo are just soooooo underwhelming. They are sitting on an absolute ******* goldmine of great titles, yet the thing I'm most excited for (bar Zelda) is ******* Splatoon. Why cant they just give the people what they want, and make a metric s**t ton of cash doing it. Wheres the Fzeros, the Metroids, the Pokemons (no not pokemon shuffle), or even put some of their great minds to work on something new (and not just little arcade games like Splatoon and Project Robot or whatever the * it is, make up some new adventure games and they will be great) instead we get thousands of different types of Mario games, a few Zeldas and 400 million platformers and side scrollers.

Yeah also surprisingly interested in Splatoon after the direct. But **** me other than that Nintendo are just soooooo underwhelming. They are sitting on an absolute ******* goldmine of great titles, yet the thing I'm most excited for (bar Zelda) is ******* Splatoon. Why cant they just give the people what they want, and make a metric s**t ton of cash doing it. Wheres the Fzeros, the Metroids, the Pokemons (no not pokemon shuffle), or even put some of their great minds to work on something new (and not just little arcade games like Splatoon and Project Robot or whatever the **** it is, make up some new adventure games and they will be great) instead we get thousands of different types of Mario games, a few Zeldas and 400 million platformers and side scrollers.
I hope you don't reserve your hatred for Nintendo exclusively ... I really do.

Oh, and here's the tip: Nintendo don't develop Pokemon games. Don't make the common mistake of thinking they do.

But I do understand the frustration about the franchises that have dropped off the radar. Metroid has an excuse because they are recovering from Other M, though.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 7, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah also surprisingly interested in Splatoon after the direct. But **** me other than that Nintendo are just soooooo underwhelming. They are sitting on an absolute ******* goldmine of great titles, yet the thing I'm most excited for (bar Zelda) is ******* Splatoon. Why cant they just give the people what they want, and make a metric s**t ton of cash doing it. Wheres the Fzeros, the Metroids, the Pokemons (no not pokemon shuffle), or even put some of their great minds to work on something new (and not just little arcade games like Splatoon and Project Robot or whatever the **** it is, make up some new adventure games and they will be great) instead we get thousands of different types of Mario games, a few Zeldas and 400 million platformers and side scrollers.
I get your annoyance with them. 2D platformers like Kirby and yoshi do nothing for me. For a lot of people they do though so I get why we're getting them and to be fair I think a Yoshi game has been a long time coming.

I really wish they'd do the following:

1. Pokemon Snap game. Makes perfect sense with the gamepad. I'd be really surprised if they weren't working towards this.

2. Proper 3D mario game ala 64/ sunshine and not galaxy 3. The galaxy games were great but in my book they're closer to Mario 3D World than 64 and Sunshine. I know there's no time limits, no end of level flag, looking for stars etc like 64 and Sunshine but to me in the levels the game felt so traintracked with no real freedom and just played like a 2.5D platformer. Not saying it's a bad thing, but I don't reckon they've ever been true successors to 64 and Sunshine - and that's the game I want.

3. A Banjo-Kazooie like game. I know Microsoft have the rights to them, but do a completely original game in that mold.

4. Revive a dead game like they did with Bayonetta and make it an exclusive. There must be a heap of them out there.

5. A new western, adult RPG.

6. Throw heaps of money at a 3rd party developer to switch over to/ include Nintendo. I know it's got buckley's to the power of less chance of happening, but it would be amazing! The Wii U is closest in architecture to the Xbox 360, thus why we got quite a few 360 ports in the beginning. As an example, say Nintendo threw heaps of money at Bethesda to do an enhanced Wii U Morrowind (original Xbox I know), Oblivion and Fallout 3 - imagine how crazily good that would be! I can dream...

7. Give us some sports games. If EA don't want a piece of the Wii U, try to get PES or someone over. If no one will do it, give us some mario oriented games.

Still I've got two games that I'm unbelievably psyched for this year. Obviously Zelda, but also Xenoblade. Can't wait! Also Splatoon will definately get a look in now and possibly Mario Party 10 and Mario Maker.

Nintendo could be a lot better than what they are but god damn they still know how to give me the most enjoyment out of gaming - much more than anyone else.

I wont be able to stop myself ordering Ness, Pacman and the Fire Emblem dudes when I get paid. Also ozgameshop still has a few 'rare' amiibo such as Link, Samus, Diddy Kong available.

Aug 23, 2007
Bay 131 @ (Port) Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Magpies

Console has been out for a little over 2 years, who says we're not getting a new F Zero or Metroid in the next few years? Star Fox is coming out this year after skipping the Wii. Nintendo don't just forget about their own IPs, F Zero got acknowledged with it's own track in Mario Kart 8 which is pretty big considering all of the games they could've chose to feature. For all we know Retro could be working on a new Metroid game. Nintendos problem is they have more IPs than they can handle, I'm craving another Wave Race tbh.

Pokemon IP is an interesting one, it seems like Nintendo don't really push for it to be developed on their home consoles. A full 3d online Pokemon RPG/MMO will always be the dream megaton announcement.

What I don't understand is you're interested in Splatoon, you ask for Nintendo to make something new whilst dismissing Splatoon as being a little arcade game :confused:?

An interesting little piece from 2013 i found regarding Nintendo and new IP

Game Informer had the chance to ask Nintendo’s Shigeru Miyamoto whether the company feels the need to create all-new franchises as well as new characters. Miyamoto responded by saying he doesn’t think new characters are what make a new game. According to the video game designer, a new game is one that offers new gameplay and new interactions.

Game Informer: The game’s that you’re showing today – Pikmin, Mario Kart, the Zelda games, Mario 3D World – they’re all definitely part of your core franchises that have always carried Nintendo forward. Internally, do you guys feel the need or have the desire to create new franchises and new characters to add to that stable of the Marios, Links, and Donkey Kongs?

Miyamoto: Certainly within Nintendo, we have people internally who are saying, “Well, we have our old characters from our old games, and that’s old IP, and we should think about creating new IP.” But the question that we always ask is: “Does a new character really make it a new game?” And to me, the answer to that is, “No.” What makes it a new game is new gameplay and new interactions. So when we’re creating a game, we’re always looking at it from, “What is the gameplay, and how are making that gameplay new?” And then, “Who is the character that is best suited to that gameplay?”

By taking this approach, for us, we feel like even when we’re creating new installments in existing series, we’re creating new experiences, because the gameplay that’s in there is something that’s entirely new. And in some cases, we may even end up creating new characters. Pikmin was an example of how we ended up creating new IP, because we created this new style of gameplay, and it really needed a new character in order to have that gameplay work, and that was the approach we took. We created the gameplay mechanic first, and then created the characters afterwards.

What we always stress, when we’re working with our development teams is, “Focus first on creating fun and new gameplay, and then we’ll figure out what the character is or what the IP is that’s going to go with it.” In the future, we may see that that will bring us some new characters and new IP, but what’s important to me is that, even with the existing IP that we’re releasing games for, they’re all new gameplay experiences.

I don't blame Nintendo for throwing Mario in every genre, Sony and MS would do the same if they owned a character as iconic and recognisible (Sony may have today if they had kept Crash Bandicoot and/or Spyro) I personally enjoy the Mario offerings.

A heap of platformers and side scrollers is the same as saying the rest of the industry has too many open world games and shooters, its all a matter of personal taste. Having always enjoyed and appreciated the sheer quality of Nintendo produced platformers I'm quite looking forward to a couple more coming this year in Yoshis Wooly World and Kirby and the Rainbow Curse.

Aug 23, 2007
Bay 131 @ (Port) Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Magpies
I really wish they'd do the following:

1. Pokemon Snap game. Makes perfect sense with the gamepad. I'd be really surprised if they weren't working towards this.

4. Revive a dead game like they did with Bayonetta and make it an exclusive. There must be a heap of them out there.

6. Throw heaps of money at a 3rd party developer to switch over to/ include Nintendo. I know it's got buckley's to the power of less chance of happening, but it would be amazing! The Wii U is closest in architecture to the Xbox 360, thus why we got quite a few 360 ports in the beginning. As an example, say Nintendo threw heaps of money at Bethesda to do an enhanced Wii U Morrowind (original Xbox I know), Oblivion and Fallout 3 - imagine how crazily good that would be! I can dream...

7. Give us some sports games. If EA don't want a piece of the Wii U, try to get PES or someone over. If no one will do it, give us some mario oriented games.

Nintendo could be a lot better than what they are but god damn they still know how to give me the most enjoyment out of gaming - much more than anyone else.

1. Considering how well that mechanic worked in Captain Toad during the mine cart levels, I'd also be surprised if there wasn't a Pokemon Snap 2 at least being discussed.

4. Bayonetta 2 got a really good reception, I'm sure they're looking at doing something similar again. These are the sort of paid exclusives I like seeing, MS did the same with Dead Rising 3, games that wouldn't exist without the financial backing and support.

6. Full exclusive will never happen, their best chance was when the Wii was smashing the competition in sales. Nintendo have never played nicely with 3rd parties. Its a weird situation in that 3rd parties wont release games due to low sales and its low sales are a result of a lack of said games. Power of the console is another factor, had the Wii been as powerful as the PS3 and 360 then the situation might be different today.

7. No support from EA sports was massive, gamepad is perfectly suited to things like set plays and team management on the fly but as above, the sales just weren't there so i cant blame EA. Surprised Mario Golf and Tennis both have 3DS releases but no Wii U versions as of yet.

Bolded is what Nintendo are and hopefully always will be about, it's why I'm in day 1 for all their consoles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back