Not open for further replies.
Oct 5, 2004
Point Cook
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Red Sox, Man U, Chi Bears
The "North" thread made me think of a question:

All things being equal, say North is playing Carlton in a H&A game..

Who would people on here take more enjoyment out of losing, at least for BigFooty purposes?

I obviously loathe Carlton, and don't really care either way for North, but it would be nice to see the latter keep failing, if only to stick it to their posters on here.
Yeah, Carlton are more than likely to play finals anyway, if North just missed out again, would be massive lolz.

Re: The Non-Essendon Thread II

Carlton, always and forever.

North don't bother me nearly as much as they wish they did. Carlton I hate with untempered fury and I can only regard them in complete and utter contempt as a football club and as a supporter group.

The Kangas are just another team that isn't Essendon.

I mean, s**t, who would you have preferred won the premiership cup in '99?

Something like (ceebz checking) the top 8 sides of last year in the first 10 weeks.
Dees & GWS are the other two; Dees is prolly a 50/50 game.

Will be pretty happy to be 3 & 7 IMHO.

I know a lot of people look at it this way, but really, if we want to make finals we have to expect to be able to beat top 8 teams from last year. If we are only rating ourselves a good chance to beat bottom 4 sides, and games like Melb or North as 50-50, then we aren't really a finals chance at all.

I'm not saying whether we are a chance or not, I don't know what to make of the hype, all I'm saying is that the people who think we will make the 8 probably don't think we will be lucky to be 3-7 after round 10.

Sorry for the intrusion.

I really hope Ian Robson and Paul Hamilton have been on the phone to Matt Rendell.

Tell him to keep doing what he normally does, then announce he's joined Essendon in July or something when it's all blown over.

Carlton, always and forever.

North don't bother me nearly as much as they wish they did. Carlton I hate with untempered fury and I can only regard them in complete and utter contempt as a football club and as a supporter group.

The Kangas are just another team that isn't Essendon.

I mean, s**t, who would you have preferred won the premiership cup in '99?
I agree with all of that, and even reading the sentence on Carlton made the heart rate rise and eyes water slightly..

But on BigFooty, I don't mind a lot of Carlton posters. I'd never give them s**t if we beat them, for example.

Whereas I've overseen that many ******* North supporters gloat about premierships they haven't even won yet, and midfield meatgrinders, that I'd love to see them squirm if they failed to make an impression, once again.

I'd tend to agree with you on the BigFooty breakdown of where the bigger tosspots reside, but footy and internet... big disconnect. I'd never judge a fanbase on how they behave on the internet (which distorts personalities frequently because there's a complete and utter lack of accountability, ergo, you can't punch someone in the face through the internet despite how much the deserve it, and anonymity is the norm rather than the exception), and always on the prats that I come across at the football itself.

In North's case, it's N/A. You don't come across their fans because their are none of them. Therefore they are a non-issue.

I know a lot of people look at it this way, but really, if we want to make finals we have to expect to be able to beat top 8 teams from last year. If we are only rating ourselves a good chance to beat bottom 4 sides, and games like Melb or North as 50-50, then we aren't really a finals chance at all.
Maybe you are, I'm just saying have a look at the fixture and point out 12 wins - cos I can't find them.

I think a fair chunk of people who are expecting finals haven't really studied the fixture, and will be the first ones calling for a sacking should you start quite slowly.
I just don't think you should be all that surprised if you start slowly, given the calibre of sides you're facing.

I'd rather see North in the finals than Carlton. I know we will smash North and it would be wonderful.

Carlton is a decent side when they are on, though. So the win-win way is for Carlton to fail before hand, and then North to get their faces rubbed in it.

I'd tend to agree with you on the BigFooty breakdown of where the bigger tosspots reside, but footy and internet... big disconnect. I'd never judge a fanbase on how they behave on the internet (which distorts personalities frequently because there's a complete and utter lack of accountability, ergo, you can't punch someone in the face through the internet despite how much the deserve it, and anonymity is the norm rather than the exception), and always on the prats that I come across at the football itself.

In North's case, it's N/A. You don't come across their fans because their are none of them. Therefore they are a non-issue.
Yeah well said.

I really hope Ian Robson and Paul Hamilton have been on the phone to Matt Rendell.

Tell him to keep doing what he normally does, then announce he's joined Essendon in July or something when it's all blown over.
What am I missing here?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do they say, after round 4 or so there's usually only 1 or 2 changes max to the top 8, slow starts are really tough to dig out of.

After round 8 last year there was only one change: Fremantle out, Saints in. (Though we did drop out briefly after round 14 and 18-19)

Saints had a very easy second half draw. I remember trying to convince all my friends with money to get on them for the eight at around $2.

Maybe you are, I'm just saying have a look at the fixture and point out 12 wins - cos I can't find them.

I think a fair chunk of people who are expecting finals haven't really studied the fixture, and will be the first ones calling for a sacking should you start quite slowly.
I just don't think you should be all that surprised if you start slowly, given the calibre of sides you're facing.

I wouldn't be surprised if we start slowly at all, but if we have improved as many are saying, we should win in our first 11:

Melbourne, Sydney at the G (beat them here in 2011 and 2010), Port, GWS and either Essendon or St.Kilda. It's very possible that we will lose one of these as an upset being such a young side, but it's also possible that we will sneak a win over Carlton round 1 or West Coast round 5.

That would give us 5 wins in our first 11 with a fairly easy run home, so I can see where people get the idea that we will play finals from.

But yes, it is also very possible that we will only win 2-3 of our first 11 and be practically no chance for finals. If that was the case, I'd hope we finished the year well or were at least competitive in our losses otherwise re-signing Hardwick may have been a big mistake.

Anyway, I will stop hijacking your thread now.

I wouldn't be surprised if we start slowly at all, but if we have improved as many are saying, we should win in our first 12:

Melbourne, Sydney at the G (beat them here in 2011 and 2010), Port, GWS and either Essendon or St.Kilda. It's very possible that we will lose one of these as an upset being such a young side, but it's also possible that we will sneak a win over Carlton round 1 or West Coast round 5.

That would give us 5 wins in our first 12 with a fairly easy run home, so I can see where people get the idea that we will play finals from.

But yes, it is also very possible that we will only win 2-3 of our first 12 and be practically no chance for finals. If that was the case, I'd hope we finished the year well or were at least competitive in our losses otherwise re-signing Hardwick may have been a big mistake.

I wouldn't be surprised if we start slowly at all, but if we have improved as many are saying, we should win in our first 11:

That would give us 5 wins in our first 11 with a fairly easy run home, so I can see where people get the idea that we will play finals from.

But yes, it is also very possible that we will only win 2-3 of our first 11 and be practically no chance for finals. If that was the case, I'd hope we finished the year well or were at least competitive in our losses otherwise re-signing Hardwick may have been a big mistake.

I agree they're all possible, but right now they wouldn't be "upsets" - at all - if you lost any of those.

v Blues I give you about a 40% chance
Pies 0% chance.
Dees 50/50.
Geelong 0% chance.
WCE 50/50, they don't play the dome all that well
Port (AAMI) 50%.
Syd (MCG) 50/50
Ess 50/50
Haw 0%
St K (Dome) 30/70 at the Dome.
Freo (MCG) 70/30.
GWS 100%
Adelaide (AAMI) 40%
Dees 50/50
GC 100%
North (MCG) About 70% - home ground advantage helps
Carlton 40%
Brisbane (Gabba) 80% they are a rabble
Bulldogs (MCG) 80%, again home ground advantage
Freo (Subi) 0%
Ess 50/50 as always
Port (MCG) 100%

And that is my honest appraisal.
Have you starting a clear favourite in 7 games, but only once in the first half. About 10 wins, but only 4 in the first half.

I do expect sides like Freo & Adelaide to bounce back quite hard this year which has an impact.

What am I missing here?

A very good recruiter is currently unemployed because of a completely artificial media storm created by one self-important ****stick who'll do anything to get his name up in lights.

We should therefore attempt to add said recruiter to our staff, because if we don't, someone else will.

I agree they're all possible, but right now they wouldn't be "upsets" - at all - if you lost any of those.

v Blues I give you about a 40% chance
Pies 0% chance.
Dees 50/50.
Geelong 0% chance.
WCE 50/50, they don't play the dome all that well
Port (AAMI) 50%.
Syd (MCG) 50/50
Ess 50/50
Haw 0%
St K (Dome) 30/70 at the Dome.
Freo (MCG) 70/30.
GWS 100%
Adelaide (AAMI) 40%
Dees 50/50
GC 100%
North (MCG) About 70% - home ground advantage helps
Carlton 40%
Brisbane (Gabba) 80% they are a rabble
Bulldogs (MCG) 80%, again home ground advantage
Freo (Subi) 0%
Ess 50/50 as always
Port (MCG) 100%

And that is my honest appraisal.
Have you starting a clear favourite in 7 games, but only once in the first half. About 10 wins, but only 4 in the first half.

I do expect sides like Freo & Adelaide to bounce back quite hard this year which has an impact.

We play Subi pretty well, wouldn't write us off over there against Freo. Other than that, pretty reasonable summary, I think I'd rate us a bit better than 50-50 against Sydney here considering recent form, but I'd also rate us lower against West Coast and Carlton.

Going by your summary, we win 11 based on probability. Total of 1100%/22 = 50% win/loss record. Seems pretty reasonable. Would you be happy to go with that as your tip for our season?

Most Richmond fans would be pretty happy with this result I would reckon.

Just out of curiosity, how do you think Essendon will fare this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back