The Non-Essendon Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A "bits n pieces" thread for all things on the other 16 clubs.

I'll kick things off with this nice little article on Carlton:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...m-to-be-repaid-by-october-20110225-1b8um.html
CARLTON faces an end-of-season debt crisis, with $6.9 million of loans due to be repaid by October 31.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...m-to-be-repaid-by-october-20110225-1b8um.html

Ouch

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/blues-in-the-red-69m-to-be-repaid-by-october-20110225-1b8um.html
Joe Dicks, a forensic accountant with Melbourne-based firm PPB, said: ''I see what Carlton has done, but one would suggest the club is not playing the game properly here. ''They get to report a big profit, but most of that money has come from a grant that is to be spent on capital works.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/blues-in-the-red-69m-to-be-repaid-by-october-20110225-1b8um.html

That's straight out of the Hawthorn 3-game membership book.

Staggering. I thought they were getting out of the woods since Pratt chipped in.

Thought we could talk about other teams squads for R1.

Link
CARLTON
B:N.Duigan, B.Thornton, C.Yarran
HB: K.Lucas, S.White, J.Russell
C: J.Laidler, B.Gibbs, H.Scotland
HF: A.Walker, J.Waite, K.Simpson
F: E.Betts, S.Hampson, J.Garlett
Foll: R.Warnock, C.Judd, M.Murphy
Int: A.Carrazzo, D.Armfield, E.Curnow, M.Robinson
Emg: A.Collins, L.Henderson, M.Watson
New: Nick Duigan, Ed Curnow

RICHMOND
B: C.Newman, A.Rance, L.McGuane
HB: B.Deledio, D.Astbury, R.Conca
C: T.Cotchin, D.Martin, S.Edwards
HF: M.Morton, T.Vickery, S.Grigg
F: M.White, J.Riewoldt, B.Helbig
Foll: A.Graham, D.Jackson, N.Foley
Inter: B.Houli, J.Batchelor, R.Nahas, D.Connors
Emg: B.Nason, J.Post, M.Dea
New: Bachar Houli (Essendon), Shaun Grigg (Carlton), Reece Conca, Brad Helbig, Jake Batchlor
Link

A lot of new players for Richmond including Houli. Carlton missing their key defenders and Hampson being used at FF while Kreuzer recovers.

Should be an entertaining game.

Any thoughts on who will be the sub and the winner?

Discuss :eek:

Also Hellbig which according to tiger fans our recruiters were in tears because we missed out on him.

Houli - Hibberd
Hellbig - Browne

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

With regards to Ratten's changes, he's switched Yarran to the HBF.

Plenty of the coaches and players down at the Blues are singing his praises something chronic. Better pull something out of his rear end this year, has obvious talent.

I'll be interested to see if Houli plays midfield or back.

Also interested to see Conca; I reckon he'll be another #6 flop.

Also wonder whether Ratten has implemented anything coaching wise, yet.

Hardwick wants to lose first up, by the looks of it.

I'm with you on Conca. Admittedly I've only seen him play a few times, but he just looks pretty average to me. I seriously cannot believe Heppell got through to us at #8. Will go down as one of the big draft steals in the future.

Switching a failed forward to a half back isn't exactly changing your coaching style, though.

It's a move that just about every club's done at some stage, and it's one move.

I'm more interested to see if Carlton implement a rolling zone, front press, more efficient run and carry game, more numbers around the ball, playing the coridoor etc.

Most times that I watch Carlton it's "let Juddy get it, run forward, hope that one of the small forwards snags a goal."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't know if Yarran is the definition of a 'failed forward'. Carlton have a few handy goal-sneaks, it's just an area where he is of need.

The switch may allow Gibbs a fair bit of freedom to roam around in the midfield/wings.

Making a specific player a quarterback (Yarran), unlike in previous seasons (combo of Russell, Gibbs, Scotland); seems like a slight change of tactics by the coach to me. Having a designated kicker/user of the ball gives Yarran the opportunity to be their 'main man' coming out of the backline.

I remember watching a vid not long ago where Betts stated Yarran could be the next Gilbee, or someone of similar ilk. St Kilda when up and running have Gram, Bulldogs have Gilbee, Collingwood have Shaw, etc. Teams like Hawthorn, Port Adelaide and us haven't really got a designated kicker at present. Different set-ups to the one Carlton previously had, but one in which they will try and implement this season.

Was trying to get conversation flowing ideally, if I misinterpreted what you said I can delete it if it makes some feel uncomfortable.

I think Conca will be very good, long-term; but I can see him taking a while to get anywhere near the midfield and that'll put a lot of (unwarranted) pressure on him. Particualrly if Heppell takes off.

Very happy with Browne thus far, haven't seen anything of Helbig (let along Houli).
Supposedly we were miffed we missed Helbig; I've heard the Pies were miffed they missed Browne... circle of life.

Making a specific player a quarterback (Yarran), unlike in previous seasons (combo of Russell, Gibbs, Scotland); seems like a slight change of tactics by the coach to me. Having a designated kicker/user of the ball gives Yarran the opportunity to be their 'main man' coming out of the backline.

I remember watching a vid not long ago where Betts stated Yarran could be the next Gilbee, or someone of similar ilk. St Kilda when up and running have Gram, Bulldogs have Gilbee, Collingwood have Shaw, etc. Teams like Hawthorn, Port Adelaide and us haven't really got a designated kicker at present. Different set-ups to the one Carlton previously had, but one in which they will try and implement this season.

Dempsey is the player that Essendon have been trying to get to do this line breaking / penetrating kick ala Yarran, Gilbee etc

THe problem has been that when everyone else runs forward like we did last year, you end up looking loose and unaccountable.

I think Yarran will be great offensively but if carlton start leaving goals the knives will be out.

To an extent, I think he's being used as more of a running backman/winger than a designated kicker though.

Fletch was our go to man a few seasons ago, now we're crying out for someone with elite skills to run off the HBF. Heppell may just be the man.

Yarran will be interesting, if he can turn the corner and impact games, Carlton will be a massive threat come finals time without a doubt.

A little bit offtopic but I was listening to the radio last night and the following question was asked to Jeff Kennett:

"Is Buddy Hawthorn's best player?"
He gave a longwinded and roundabout response but in the end he said there were 3-4 players ahead of him.

So I ask you guys the same question - Is Buddy Hawthorn's best player?; yes or no response

Yes for mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back