Varcoe
Lumumba
O'Rourke
Hickey
Betts
Docherty
Karnezis
Bruce
How many of those are actually down to the player not wanting to join the club though? For example Varcoe, Lumumba, O'Rourke are more down to a trade not being able to get done. I did forget about Docherty and Betts. But we can't be expected to get every single player we target, there are 17 other clubs in the competition. Gunston was at a time when Hawthorn were good and we weren't quite there yet for example. I'm not sure it all has to do with our courting process.

How many of those are actually down to the player not wanting to join the club though? For example Varcoe, Lumumba, O'Rourke are more down to a trade not being able to get done. I did forget about Docherty and Betts. But we can't be expected to get every single player we target, there are 17 other clubs in the competition. Gunston was at a time when Hawthorn were good and we weren't quite there yet for example. I'm not sure it all has to do with our courting process.

Varcoe nominated Collingwood, Lumumba nominated Melbourne. The trades occurred after that. Don't get me wrong, thank **** they did but we were the loveable loser hanging around for an answer.

I respect everyone will see it differently but I've pointed previously that we've lost out in player pursuits to top sides, bottom sides and some in the middle. The club would be wise to analyse why this occurs and seek to rectify it.

Archer even commented back 'in the day' that it was hard convincing players to come to North. Maybe there is still a little of that nqr perception floating around throughout the AFL. If the media is anything to go by, I'd say it's almost definitely the case.

Caddy
Cooney
Gunstan
Varcoe
Lumumba
O'Rourke
Hickey
Betts
Docherty
Karnezis
Bruce
And there's a couple there we can be thankful for.

Gunston would have been nice, but never a chance I'd suggest. Caddy the only one that really hurts.

For mine, you'd have to think we've got to be at long odds to recruit over half of those we're attempting to lure. I'd think a one in 3 or 4 strike rate would be more than acceptable, given how many other clubs might be suitors at any given time.

Archer even commented back 'in the day' that it was hard convincing players to come to North. Maybe there is still a little of that nqr perception floating around throughout the AFL. If the media is anything to go by, I'd say it's almost definitely the case.
Insofar as it shows up in "afterthought" type flavour of many commentators. Something I struggle to comprehend, especially if/when the likes of Saints, Dogs, Dees get talked up. Might be bias/chip on shoulder, but it 'feels' as if we still, somehow, don't get the respect we deserve.

"Geelong’s secret weapon in securing Boak was his Geelong-based mother, but Cook said the appearance of Dangerfield’s parents at a Cats dinner in Round 1 was coincidental.

“The Dangerfields came over to our dinner but we didn’t even know they were coming,’’ he said.

“The City of Greater Geelong get a table and their deputy mayor Bruce Harwood’s daughter is Dangerfield’s girlfriend.

“Bruce brought them as his guests, they weren’t even our guests. And we have had to bat that one away ever since, but we didn’t even talk to the City about getting them there!”

No doubt we'll complain if we don't land Danger, but we'd have to beat Adelaide and Geelong for his services. It'd only happen with the biggest pay offer, surely?

Insofar as it shows up in "afterthought" type flavour of many commentators. Something I struggle to comprehend, especially if/when the likes of Saints, Dogs, Dees get talked up. Might be bias/chip on shoulder, but it 'feels' as if we still, somehow, don't get the respect we deserve.

That's kind of what I'm getting at. It's perception but that perception is played out by illiterate "journalists", totally subject specific ignorant presenters and the lack of exposure in general media.

I think Heath et al do a great job of pushing our relevance and getting the good news out there but the poor profile will take a while to fix. I actually see the Higgins signing (younger, some talk he was courted by Carlton and perhaps Geelong) as indicative of things maybe slowly shifting upwards.

Amen.

Gunston would have been nice, but never a chance I'd suggest.

Well maybe/maybe not. We could've offered better odds of a senior forward spot than the circa 2012 hawks which conflicts with the notion LCynic puts forward.

Well maybe/maybe not. We could've offered better odds of a senior forward spot than the circa 2012 hawks which conflicts with the notion LCynic puts forward.
Hawks guaranteed him first team time and a premiership team. Not really conflicting, just adding favour to them.

It's trying to combat the St. Kildas, Bulldogs, etc. when we are clearly better. Them being so shite that a 20yo key defender goes straight in goes against us.

Both are viable scenarios where we get the short end and the whole 'destination club' thing can take a dive into a river of s**t and die.

"Geelong’s secret weapon in securing Boak was his Geelong-based mother, but Cook said the appearance of Dangerfield’s parents at a Cats dinner in Round 1 was coincidental.

“The Dangerfields came over to our dinner but we didn’t even know they were coming,’’ he said.

“The City of Greater Geelong get a table and their deputy mayor Bruce Harwood’s daughter is Dangerfield’s girlfriend.

“Bruce brought them as his guests, they weren’t even our guests. And we have had to bat that one away ever since, but we didn’t even talk to the City about getting them there!”

No doubt we'll complain if we don't land Danger, but we'd have to beat Adelaide and Geelong for his services. It'd only happen with the biggest pay offer, surely?
I think Dangerfield would be looking to go to a club in contention thus it would be ideal if Geelong slid down the ladder more, adelaide remain the same and we continued to rise. A combination of those factors should entice him to come to us assuming we offer him close to as good of pay as the contenders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Dangerfield would be looking to go to a club in contention thus it would be ideal if Geelong slid down the ladder more, adelaide remain the same and we continued to rise. A combination of those factors should entice him to come to us assuming we offer him close to as good of pay as the contenders.

The only way I see us being in the conversation would be to have just won the flag.

Gunston would have been nice, but never a chance I'd suggest. Caddy the only one that really hurts.

For mine, you'd have to think we've got to be at long odds to recruit over half of those we're attempting to lure. I'd think a one in 3 or 4 strike rate would be more than acceptable, given how many other clubs might be suitors at any given time.

Gunston was a massive chance to come to us but unfortunately at the time the Hawks were in a better position for finals etc otherwise we were second choice.

maybe its Brad Scott? Not sure if he has direct contact with those players as its not reported but seems other coaches go out of there way to speak to some players, Buckley convinced Greenwood, Hird convinced Cooney etc...

maybe its Brad Scott? Not sure if he has direct contact with those players as its not reported but seems other coaches go out of there way to speak to some players, Buckley convinced Greenwood, Hird convinced Cooney etc...
Please don't bait people ...

I feel like I should be using a different topic but anyway ...

COLA may be 'abolished' soon but it will eventually be replaced by PEPSI: Perpetuating Egos (by) Paying Supersized Incomes.

Ahum.

Gunston was a massive chance to come to us but unfortunately at the time the Hawks were in a better position for finals etc otherwise we were second choice.
Really? That makes me sad. He's a gun

Didn't Dal say one of the big factors for coming to North was his discussion with Brad Scott?

Regardless, even if he's not the best at attracting players to the club he's done an outstanding effort getting the players we have to buy into the club and re-commit. (Inb4 Greenwood). One of the only clubs to get through GC/GWS recruiting 100% unscathed.

Higgins also said we were the only club he considered moving to, so we're doing something right.

Didn't Dal say one of the big factors for coming to North was his discussion with Brad Scott?

Regardless, even if he's not the best at attracting players to the club he's done an outstanding effort getting the players we have to buy into the club and re-commit. (Inb4 Greenwood). One of the only clubs to get through GC/GWS recruiting 100% unscathed.

Higgins also said we were the only club he considered moving to, so we're doing something right.
I am actually one of the happiest when it comes to the current group's abilities in that regard. I just wish we were seen as an option for the U25s instead of them always going to the top clubs or the worst clubs for various reasons.

We are still entrenched in that "not premiership contender material, nor with recent premiership winning cred, but can't guarantee the first team time of the dump end clubs" middle ground.

I need to hope Durdin/Nielson can be better than Jaksch because that's the one that's torn at me the most in recent times.

I am actually one of the happiest when it comes to the current group's abilities in that regard. I just wish we were seen as an option for the U25s instead of them always going to the top clubs or the worst clubs for various reasons.

We are still entrenched in that "not premiership contender material, nor with recent premiership winning cred, but can't guarantee the first team time of the dump end clubs" middle ground.

I need to hope Durdin/Nielson can be better than Jaksch because that's the one that's torn at me the most in recent times.
Interesting LCynic , for me it was Caddy..... Still pisses me off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back