Oppo Camp The non North football discussion thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are people who will read TT's excellent post and say the racists are getting away with everything.

There are others who will read it and think he needs to stop pandering to the do-gooders by feeling the need to qualify himself as not racist.

The absolute majority are actually moderate and tolerant, and on exactly the same page. This "right" v "left" bullshit ends up insulting the 90% of us who are able to form opinions without having to commit to a "side".

There are people who will read TT's excellent post and say the racists are getting away with everything.

There are others who will read it and think he needs to stop pandering to the do-gooders by feeling the need to qualify himself as not racist.

The absolute majority are actually moderate and tolerant, and on exactly the same page. This "right" v "left" bullshit ends up insulting the 90% of us who are able to form opinions without having to commit to a "side".
I think at the same time, it's very tricky to separate people characterising Goodes' off-field conduct as arrogant and entitled, and him being unworthy of AOTY, from disdain for the "uppity black man". Do they think the same about Luke Ablett? He's done more genuine good than most other sportspeople who have been AOTY over the years IMHO.

There's absolutely a racist element to people booing him, and Lindsay, and many more indigenous players over the years. Even when it's not overtly racist, there's a whole messy matching set of cultural baggage that comes along for the ride.

Not that I'm accusing anyone here of that. Obviously.

Anyway back on topic, I went to Spotless Stadium on the weekend. The Giants look bloody good, especially considering some of them still can't grow facial hair. Nice atmosphere around the place too. Public transport was a bit of a PITA ( needed to get off my train 2 stops early, then catch another one that went the extra 2 stops, then another 1 to the ground!), and I didn't spot 1 person in Giants gear until we got to Olympic Park. But once in there, it was pretty good. You would have to say they're doing it right so far.

Anyway back on topic, I went to Spotless Stadium on the weekend. The Giants look bloody good, especially considering some of them still can't grow facial hair. Nice atmosphere around the place too. Public transport was a bit of a PITA ( needed to get off my train 2 stops early, then catch another one that went the extra 2 stops, then another 1 to the ground!), and I didn't spot 1 person in Giants gear until we got to Olympic Park. But once in there, it was pretty good. You would have to say they're doing it right so far.

What percentage of the crowd were actual Giants fans OP? The media were hailing their crowd of 14k versus Hawthorn as a sign they're beginning to make waves up there but I just presumed the number was greater as there were so many Hawks there at the time. I presume many Crows would've been there on the weekend too.

As an Orange Peanut, you would have blended in seamlessly. ;)

What percentage of the crowd were actual Giants fans who paid for a ticket OP? The media were hailing their crowd of 14k versus Hawthorn as a sign they're beginning to make waves up there but I just presumed the number was greater as there were so many Hawks there at the time. I presume many Crows would've been there on the weekend too.

This.

What percentage of the crowd were actual Giants fans OP? The media were hailing their crowd of 14k versus Hawthorn as a sign they're beginning to make waves up there but I just presumed the number was greater as there were so many Hawks there at the time. I presume many Crows would've been there on the weekend too.
Lots of Orange in the stadium TT. A fair few peanuts as well, Back to Blue :)
Fewer adelaidians than I expected based on the number you see at Melbourne games to be honest. I had to pay $29 for a GA ticket, they certainly weren't giving them away out the front like I'd hoped :(.
I get the impression they are laying a good foundation. The question is, for the money they're spending, is the foundation strong enough? Only time will tell, but they are a great side to watch, the talent is ridiculous. Scully seems to have been finally de-melbourned too...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like my politics the same way I like my tea.

I ******* hate tea.

Am sure you're correct , but one shouldn't forget that in this case they're= AFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back