Oppo Camp The non North football discussion thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been overseas for 6 weeks so haven't kept the closest eye on the footy but how are those west coast flogs still up there? Don't rate them at all average list must be the simmo effect

Nup, who booed on the first touch?

I got the clap at Tender Touch. There, I said it.

As for the game I didn't notice booing near us at all, but could hear plenty from lvl 1. I usually tune out to crowd crap by having the earphones turned up to 11, but I did hear that.

It doesn't surprise me that, as that blog said, the media is skating through and ignoring black voices that don't fit a neat narrative. Like those who oppose the Recognise campaign, they offer too much complication.

I think it's a bit unfair though to say Goodes should shut up and be grateful for how much better things are now. He has a right to point out racism when he hears it - and a responsibility to kids coming after him to do it.

It doesn't surprise me that, as that blog said, the media is skating through and ignoring black voices that don't fit a neat narrative. Like those who oppose the Recognise campaign, they offer too much complication.

I think it's a bit unfair though to say Goodes should shut up and be grateful for how much better things are now. He has a right to point out racism when he hears it - and a responsibility to kids coming after him to do it.
Of course he has a right to, and he did when the girl said the wrong thing. The difference this time around is the majority are not doing it to be racist. They are doing it for different reasons. Anything negative towards an aboriginal should not automatically fall back on his race. The media took it there and others have ran with it!

"What, how dare you boo me, I'm Adam Goodes. Look what I've done for the game!" :rolleyes:

Of course he has a right to, and he did when the girl said the wrong thing. The difference this time around is the majority are not doing it to be racist. They are doing it for different reasons. Anything negative towards an aboriginal should not automatically fall back on his race. The media took it there and others have ran with it!

"What, how dare you boo me, I'm Adam Goodes. Look what I've done for the game!" :rolleyes:
This is the bit that gets me, saying that the majority of people who boo him are not racist (which I think everyone has agreed with). But lets look at it like this:

Take the Sydney vs West Coast game for example where there was a crowd of 38,000 people. Lets say 10% of this crowd were booing Goodes (which would be on the low side, but lets just go with it), that gets us to 3800 people. Now lets assume the majority weren't booing him due to his race, how about we say 90% weren't, leaving 10% that we can classify as racist. That leaves 380 racist football supporters booing Goodes for the entirety of the game.......and people think he should just get over it!!

This is the bit that gets me, saying that the majority of people who boo him are not racist (which I think everyone has agreed with). But lets look at it like this:

Take the Sydney vs West Coast game for example where there was a crowd of 38,000 people. Lets say 10% of this crowd were booing Goodes (which would be on the low side, but lets just go with it), that gets us to 3800 people. Now lets assume the majority weren't booing him due to his race, how about we say 90% weren't, leaving 10% that we can classify as racist. That leaves 380 racist football supporters booing Goodes for the entirety of the game.......and people think he should just get over it!!
All assumptions. Come back to me when someone hands out a survey and you get some figures.

As I and many others have said ad nauseam, I don't think the booing should continue. I want it to stop so everyone can go back to booing Hird.

Next time someone gets kicked out of a game like the West Coast supporter did for a Racial comment Name and Shame them on the Big Screen......

1_11NMSy15AT4779%20.jpg

Well that's unfortunate. Of course the AFL have to drag up this photo in one of their articles.
Probably taken after that ridiculous free kick against Swallow and taken out of context, again.

1_11NMSy15AT4779%20.jpg

Well that's unfortunate. Of course the AFL have to drag up this photo in one of their articles.
Probably taken after that ridiculous free kick against Swallow and taken out of context, again.

Yep, because all of those booing and jeering supporters are good and Adam Goodes is bad :rolleyes:

It could have been taken on any of the 30 occasions he was booed that night. Out of context....hardly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All assumptions. Come back to me when someone hands out a survey and you get some figures.

As I and many others have said ad nauseam, I don't think the booing should continue. I want it to stop so everyone can go back to booing Hird.
Yes, all assumptions. But everyone is assuming only a small minority are booing for racial reasons as well, when in fact it may be the majority!!

If you think the booing should stop then that is great, you are on the side of Adam Goodes and I agree with you 100% on this.

Yep, because all of those booing and jeering supporters are good and Adam Goodes is bad :rolleyes:

It could have been taken on any of the 30 occasions he was booed that night. Out of context....hardly.
Where exactly did I say any of that? I suggested it could have been taken out of context, and with the media's previous history of taking things out of context it wouldn't surprise me. Just like you've taken my post out of context and assumed because I shared the photo that I think Goodes is the worst person in the world and booing him is great! :rolleyes:

HUN Survey..
Do u think the booing of Goodes is racially motivated?
54,277 votes
Yes-11,003
No- 43,274

Last edited:
Where exactly did I say any of that? I suggested it could have been taken out of context, and with the media's previous history of taking things out of context it wouldn't surprise me. Just like you've taken my post out of context and assumed because I shared the photo that I think Goodes is the worst person in the world and booing him is great! :rolleyes:
No, you assumed the picture was out of context and it was for a bad free kick rather than the constant booing that Goodes received that night. I only pointed it out.

No, you assumed the picture was out of context and it was for a bad free kick rather than the constant booing that Goodes received that night. I only pointed it out.
Exactly. And you've assumed that the photo was taken at a different stage of the match. I don't see the difference. But anyway...

HUN Survey..
Do u think the booing of Goodes is racially motivated?
54,277 votes
Yes-11,003
No- 43,274

Hun Survey. What result were you expecting?

I reckon the Hun survey is pretty accurate. A percentage of the booing does have racist overtones and 20% might be about right. But a lot (the majority I think) has nothing to do with racial issues at all and the pollies and other do gooders who want to label everyone who boos Goodes a racist can go f*#* themselves. How dare they assume that. Some racists? Yes. But IMHO a small percentage. This story has just grown out of all proportion now. Maybe we can just move on. I don't know how you draw a line in the sand and move on but please do it. I'm not a fan of Goodes for a whole host of reasons - the colour of his skin is not one. But whether we understand it or not this has obviously taken its toll on him. Time for the supporters to also shut the f*#* up and worry about footy again. I wish Goodes well - please, all move on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back