The Norwood Redlegs in the AFL thread (any boats left?)

SgtSchulz

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 24, 2014
Bob McLean Sportsbar
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Mark Webber
Norwood_Football_Club_logo.png

I hate Norwood. However I respect them unlike all other SANFL clubs. Everyone involved in the club is mad for success. It is a club with unexcelled history outside of the AFL, Norwood deserves a place in the big league.

Adelaide Oval has rejuvenated football in the state and Norwood's close proximity to the ground means the majority of its supporter base are only 5 minutes from the ground. If a third team was to enter the AFL from South Australia it has to be the men from Norwood.

Norwood would have a distinct identity from the strongly working class Port and middle class Crows. It would appeal to the large and wealthy population East of Adelaide that has never been properly represented (both AFL clubs are located on the west coast of the city).

Norwood would have a strong rivalry obviously with Port but also with the Crows who ultimately consigned them to not play in the league as Port would always get a second licence along with an attempt to buy the Crows liscence in 1995.

I believe there is more than enough support for three teams in the state and that South Australia deserves another club.

The economic argument for South Australia and the City of Adelaide is also there as we would have 3 games every 2 weeks in the city.

Thoughts?
15337074212_f5f1bf09e4_b.jpg
centenarygame.jpg

ovaloutside.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Would love for Norwood to be in the AFL. I'd even buy a membership for their first 3 years to help them get on their feet. WA, FNQ or Tasmania are likely to get the next licence but if Norwood put up a strong enough case they could be there too in 15-20 years. A population explosion in SA would help, so better get cracking with the baby making.

Norwood1878

Club Legend
Jun 16, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood Redlegs, Athelstone Raggies
My cousins FIL is a rabid Port man. Donates money to the club, sponsors players etc. We were talking about this on Monday night and he said if Norwood ever got an AFL license he would by a membership. He then let a cat out the bag. When he first came over from Italy he decided to follow PA because of the B&W of Juventus but he always liked Norwood too. Never ever told anyone that before.

Oct 1, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NFC AUFC MUFC Socceroos
Would love for Norwood to be in the AFL. I'd even buy a membership for their first 3 years to help them get on their feet. WA, FNQ or Tasmania are likely to get the next licence but if Norwood put up a strong enough case they could be there too in 15-20 years. A population explosion in SA would help, so better get cracking with the baby making.

Missus has number three in her belly right now so I'm doing my bit!

May 31, 2008
Canberra
AFL Club
St Kilda
There was an interesting Facebook page made a couple of months ago advocating a joint Norwood-Sturt license bid, but that page seems to have been taken down.

Are there any Redlegs or Double Blues fans that would really object to this? Because if not, I think it's actually quite a good idea - except for the fact that there won't be a 3rd SA team for quite some time.

footy75

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Should of been Norwood and Port from the start. Massive rivalry, massive supporter bases, Massive history, Massive success.

Instead they put a franchise in...

and what are we left with a bunch of picnic goers with their apricot slices singing 'here we go camry crows here we go'

when we could of had two proper clubs with an insane amount of passion and history.

Im still fkd off about it.

I would also by multiple memberships if Norwood got in.

Nov 20, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Portsmouth
I agree that it should of been Norwood and Port from the start. Both have strong, rich and real history and heritage. Unlike the Camry Cows Corporation, they don't need to steal heritage and history from the SANFL.

If ever SA gets a third team, I hope it's Norwood. Imagine a Port vs Norwood AFL Final.....

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It seems incredibly unlikely. WA3 and WA4 would probably be ahead of a 3rd Adelaide team. Sponsorship availability in the west, particularly the secondary sponsors that clubs live off, and the timeslot advantage for east coast TV markets would ensure that.

How much would having an AFL Norwood impact on the Crows? I would assume that most Redlegs fans are also Crows fans, and taking a large slice out of that would not appeal to the SANFL very much.
Given how much Port were struggling just a few years ago (off field, on field has no relevance to long term prospects) its hard to see a club smaller than them making the leap. Which is a great shame, I would like to see more traditional non-Vic clubs as the basis for any expansions.
Norwood, Glenelg, Subiaco, or whoever else. Having the conglomerated entities join first in both WA and SA probably killed that hope though.

CP28

Debutant
Oct 23, 2008
SA
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Norwood, LFC
Never gonna happen. As much as I'd love to see my club in the AFL, it just simply won't ever happen. We should have fought harder 30 years ago but oh well can't change that now.

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
It seems incredibly unlikely. WA3 and WA4 would probably be ahead of a 3rd Adelaide team. Sponsorship availability in the west, particularly the secondary sponsors that clubs live off, and the timeslot advantage for east coast TV markets would ensure that.

How much would having an AFL Norwood impact on the Crows? I would assume that most Redlegs fans are also Crows fans, and taking a large slice out of that would not appeal to the SANFL very much.
Given how much Port were struggling just a few years ago (off field, on field has no relevance to long term prospects) its hard to see a club smaller than them making the leap. Which is a great shame, I would like to see more traditional non-Vic clubs as the basis for any expansions.
Norwood, Glenelg, Subiaco, or whoever else. Having the conglomerated entities join first in both WA and SA probably killed that hope though.

I can almost see a spot for a WA3 - Joondalup.

Where will WA4 be based? Why would anyone change teams?

At least Norwood has something to draw a crowd on

Tha Main Man

Rookie
Sep 1, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Lets do some number crunching on feasibility.

In 1980 average weekly attendance at SANFL games was 40,928.
In 2014 average weekly attendances at AFL (SA) games was 46,238.

As a % of the Adelaide population
1980 = 40,928/943,000 x 100 = 4.34%
2014 = 46,238/1,163,000 x 100 = 3.98%

If 2014 was 4.34% average attendances would be...
2014 at 1980 % = 0.0434 x 1163000 = 50,474

If 1980 is taken as the maximum support pool for clubs then.
Remainder = 50,474 - 46,238 = 4,236

So if 4.34% is taken as the maximum percentage of the population that follows an AFL (SA) team then...
Norwood would have 4,236 supporters if Port Adelaide and Adelaide lost zero fans to the Redlegs.

In 2014 Norwood had an average attendance of 4,110 in 2014 so if we add those two totals together...
Norwood + Remainder = 8346.

And lets say that the Adelaide Crows lost 10% of their supporters and Port Adelaide 5% if Norwood joined...
Norwood + Remainder + Crows + Port = 8246 + 4805 + 4443 = 17594.

The number I pulled out of thin air for Norwood supporters if the club joined the AFL is 17,594.

Which if you halved the 2014 Grand Final crowd in 2014 of 38,644 assuming that half were Norwood you would get 19,322 which is remarkably close.

Flawless I know :)
haha pretty good!

Pavlovs Cat

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Norwood, Aston Villa
There was an interesting Facebook page made a couple of months ago advocating a joint Norwood-Sturt license bid, but that page seems to have been taken down.

Are there any Redlegs or Double Blues fans that would really object to this? Because if not, I think it's actually quite a good idea - except for the fact that there won't be a 3rd SA team for quite some time.

Stuff the Bluelegs. Legs alone or I'll stay a Cat.

Pavlovs Cat

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Norwood, Aston Villa

Can't speak for all obviously but when the Crows came in it was 'Cornsey's w***ers' or 'Glenelg Lite' even though a few Redlegs blokes played in the intitial team. But having said that I reckon you are right about the impact on the Crows.

Angus Young

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Stuff the Bluelegs. Legs alone or I'll stay a Cat.

me too

it would be sensational if norwood joined... they are gona have more support than gold coast, gws, bulldogs etc...

imagine norwood v port afl games...super

legs join I think people will be surprised by the support they get

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Back