The Norwood Redlegs in the AFL thread (any boats left?)

Remove this Banner Ad

That is a bit of a myth. Probably about 80% of Norwood supporters I know follow other sides or only have a passing interest in AFL. The whole reserves fiasco turned plenty of Norwood supporters off the Crows and there is quite a bit of hate towards them.
Norwood and Port would of been the best scenerio originally but I think its done and dusted. I actually dont have any anger or resentment from what Port did and although I dont wish them success I admire them( if only they would take their ressies away aswell lol)
Well, whatever the percentage is, I still think that it's pertinent to note that anyone under the age of probably 35 would have had no tangible experience of Norwood playing at their peak (prior to the Crows) and therefore not have developed a true affinity towards them. And, any resentment towards the Crows regarding reserves etc. would be echoed relatively accross the competition as Norwood don't have a Monopoly on proud SANFL supporter bases.

I respect the hell out of Norwood and would give anything for South Adelaide to have had half the success Norwood has achieved, but I just can't for the life of me see how Norwood could succeed in the AFL. More deserving to be in the competition over half of the Victorian and expansion clubs? Absolutely! But that doesn't change the fact that Norwood do not factor into any of the AFL's growth plans currently.

Well, whatever the percentage is, I still think that it's pertinent to note that anyone under the age of probably 35 would have had no tangible experience of Norwood playing at their peak (prior to the Crows) and therefore not have developed a true affinity towards them. And, any resentment towards the Crows regarding reserves etc. would be echoed relatively accross the competition as Norwood don't have a Monopoly on proud SANFL supporter bases.

I respect the hell out of Norwood and would give anything for South Adelaide to have had half the success Norwood has achieved, but I just can't for the life of me see how Norwood could succeed in the AFL. More deserving to be in the competition over half of the Victorian and expansion clubs? Absolutely! But that doesn't change the fact that Norwood do not factor into any of the AFL's growth plans currently.
Ive stated numerous times that Norwood have missed and the boat and after speaking to people involved at management level they have no intent to join the AFL. I think more people from outside the club are pushing for it than those within but I cant ever see it happening. And yes we dont have a monopoly on proud supporter bases but we still have by far the largest but yes we definately need more youth forming an allegiance as do all clubs, trust me the clubs are working on it

I hope I live long enough to see Norwood in the AFL, cant wait to go to the first Port Norwood AFL game.

Been a lot of talk about Adelaide Oval being too small now - bullshit - just divide the SA pie three ways.

It seems a natural split to me to have Port, Norwood and the rest (Crows) in SA, it MUST happen.

Perhaps Steven Marshall MP - State Member for Norwood can rally some support for it.

I hope I live long enough to see Norwood in the AFL, cant wait to go to the first Port Norwood AFL game.

Been a lot of talk about Adelaide Oval being too small now - bullshit - just divide the SA pie three ways.

It seems a natural split to me to have Port, Norwood and the rest (Crows) in SA, it MUST happen.

Perhaps Steven Marshall MP - State Member for Norwood can rally some support for it.
Port v Norwood Grand Final with 50,000 would help things start moving.

You do realise SA is 8% of the Australian Population WA will get a team before us, I think Newcastle isnt far off the population of Adelaide with no teams. If you were a business and wanted to expand I dare say NSW and QLD look far more attractive if you are capable of marketing your product to the masses. with over 50% of the population of Australia.

You do realise SA is 8% of the Australian Population WA will get a team before us, I think Newcastle isnt far off the population of Adelaide with no teams. If you were a business and wanted to expand I dare say NSW and QLD look far more attractive if you are capable of marketing your product to the masses. with over 50% of the population of Australia.
True.

If you assume that the maximum size of the AFL is 22 teams, there are only 4 spots left.

Norwood will struggle to make a case against a crowded list:
  1. Central Coast
  2. Tasmania
  3. Far North Queensland
  4. Canberra
  5. Darwin
  6. New Zealand
  7. Pacific Islands

You can scrub the bottom two out. Unless a Vic team gets relocated or co-located, won't happen. I mean it's like PNG bidding to get into the NRL - pie in the sky.

Central Coast surely won't get an AFL team before Norwood gets in. Soccer and NRL have a decent foothold there.

You can scrub the bottom two out. Unless a Vic team gets relocated or co-located, won't happen. I mean it's like PNG bidding to get into the NRL - pie in the sky.

Central Coast surely won't get an AFL team before Norwood gets in. Soccer and NRL have a decent foothold there.

One reason why the afl will go there market share back your product and sell it to the largest market. They do want to be the biggest not just dilute or redistribute South Australia into 3 teams

True.

If you assume that the maximum size of the AFL is 22 teams, there are only 4 spots left.

1. Central Coast
  2. Tasmania
  3. Far North Queensland
  4. Canberra
  5. Darwin
  6. New Zealand
  7. Pacific Islands

I really cannot see Tasmania getting an AFL team.. Why? Look at what they did when they got a VFL team, they pretty much terminated the Tassie Mariners and terminated the Tasmanian Statewide League just to afford for a VFL team that only lasted six years.. Plus I also cannot see them being able to afford for a team, especially since a lot of teams here in Tasmania are struggling financially, there is no growth down there either.. The only way Tas will get a team, is if another relocates down there.

I really cannot see Tasmania getting an AFL team.. Why? Look at what they did when they got a VFL team, they pretty much terminated the Tassie Mariners and terminated the Tasmanian Statewide League just to afford for a VFL team that only lasted six years.. Plus I also cannot see them being able to afford for a team, especially since a lot of teams here in Tasmania are struggling financially, there is no growth down there either.. The only way Tas will get a team, is if another relocates down there.
A VFL team would struggle to get sponsorship but would still have huge travel costs. That's primarily what killed it.

Tasmania would easily get an AFL team and easily have the support. Remember the "Tassie It's Time" bid they tried when the AFL announce Gold Coast and GWS? The bid already had several sponsors well and truly before GC17 got their first. Split their home games between Launceston and Hobart.

Tasmania would easily get an AFL team and easily have the support. Remember the "Tassie It's Time" bid they tried when the AFL announce Gold Coast and GWS? The bid already had several sponsors well and truly before GC17 got their first. Split their home games between Launceston and Hobart.
It could happen overnight if the AFL wanted it to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hahaha there lies your biggest hurdle it will need to go to a 20 team comp so two new interstate teams. How do you think it changes the control of the league considering there are only 10 Vic clubs. Control is lost
AFL doesn't care about that, only parochial Adelaide people think they do. The AFL has openly said they want a team on the Central Coast. It is inevitable the competition will have more teams outside Victoria in the future.

All the more reason. Adelaide is saturated. Adding Norwood would be more about local economics and a viable new team than expansion of the game. Central Coast, Canberra, FNQ and NZ are fertile ground for the code.

All the more reason. Adelaide is saturated. Adding Norwood would be more about local economics and a viable new team than expansion of the game. Central Coast, Canberra, FNQ and NZ are fertile ground for the code.

Its not Adelaide si staurated, if Norwood came in it would get more support than any of teh places you have listed. The difference is those places have a potential to gain more if marketed and developed but that would also means spending millions and millions on those markets and probably offering major assistance to the teams probably greater than that of what GC and GWS received. Thsi would be to the deterement of The Crows and The Power

Neil says hi
N%20A%20Balme-%202_web.jpg

True.

1. Central Coast
  2. Tasmania
  3. Far North Queensland
  4. Canberra
  5. Darwin
  6. New Zealand
  7. Pacific Islands

I see a two teared competition on the horizon.. Promotion and relegation may come into play.

No I do not want to see my legs in the AFL now. Its bad enough supporting 2 teams in the SANFL. I support Norwood and Crows. I love both teams and would not drop one for the other. I would just support both which is stupid.

The talent pool in Australia can't handle 18 teams (hence the flogging some teams cop)...certainly couldn't handle any more

And Norwood would never last
Would financially fall over in under 3 years with virtually no membership base

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The talent pool in Australia can't handle 18 teams (hence the flogging some teams cop)...certainly couldn't handle any more

And Norwood would never last
Would financially fall over in under 3 years with virtually no membership base

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being a Norwood and Crows supporter I say No to Norwood in AFL. I would be too torn.

Never gonna happen. As much as I'd love to see my club in the AFL, it just simply won't ever happen. We should have fought harder 30 years ago but oh well can't change that now.
So you follow the dees just cos Norwood have the same colours? is that how you picked your VFL/AFL side?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back