The Norwood Redlegs in the AFL thread (any boats left?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, because the game was easier to umpire. Nobody's really sure what a free kick is these days, so umpires err on the side of caution and play less frees.

Would you really prefer 80-100 frees a game given out (and looking at some of the game stats on AFL Tables, this was quite common back in that era) though? Would be stop-start all over the place.

Would you really prefer 80-100 frees a game given out (and looking at some of the game stats on AFL Tables, this was quite common back in that era) though? Would be stop-start all over the place.

I want all frees that are there paid. That's why we have rule books. If there's 200 frees, then so be it.

I'm not sure you're understanding where I'm coming from. The game was much easier to umpire back them because players (most of the time) played in accordance with the rules, and we didn't have 15 ruck rovers in each team cluttering up the game. We also had players punch handballs instead of throwing them.

It is because we have let things go with interpretations rather than adherence to the rules that we now have so many grey areas, nobody knows what's going on any more. Once when the whistle blew, we knew what it was for, even if we didn't agree with it. These days, the whistle blows and you hear people in the crowd say "what was THAT for"?

Paying less free kicks is NOT good umpiring.

I want all frees that are there paid. That's why we have rule books. If there's 200 frees, then so be it.

I'm not sure you're understanding where I'm coming from. The game was much easier to umpire back them because players (most of the time) played in accordance with the rules, and we didn't have 15 ruck rovers in each team cluttering up the game. We also had players punch handballs instead of throwing them.

It is because we have let things go with interpretations rather than adherence to the rules that we now have so many grey areas, nobody knows what's going on any more. Once when the whistle blew, we knew what it was for, even if we didn't agree with it. These days, the whistle blows and you hear people in the crowd say "what was THAT for"?

Paying less free kicks is NOT good umpiring.

Can't say I've really had that consistent confusion TBH. I'd rather they let it go than have such overkill and over-umpiring too.

If Norwood get into the AFL a lot would have to change with the stadium deals at Adelaide Oval for that to happen. The SANFL needs to bugger off and get out of the way, Port and the Crows are not making the money they deserve at Adelaide Oval level lone Norwood being able to make money at Adelaide Oval. Norwood would attract 30,000 crowds at Adelaide Oval but they would need to have a favourable stadium deal to be sustainable.

Can't say I've really had that consistent confusion TBH. I'd rather they let it go than have such overkill and over-umpiring too.

this...when afl umpires start blowing their whistles for little bits of contact and reversing frees for little shoves off the ball and paying soft 50's and frees against players that show a little bit of aggression I want to throw bricks threw the tv

Just the one player selected in this AFL draft period - Anthony Wilson at Pick #44 in the Rookie Draft to Adelaide.

Was surprised not to see Baulderstone and Panos not get a shot in the Rookie Draft. Thought they'd be more useful that some of the guys that got selected or re-drafted. One positive though is that it keeps the Legs strong for a tilt at another flag.

Just the one player selected in this AFL draft period - Anthony Wilson at Pick #44 in the Rookie Draft to Adelaide.

Was surprised not to see Baulderstone and Panos not get a shot in the Rookie Draft. Thought they'd be more useful that some of the guys that got selected or re-drafted. One positive though is that it keeps the Legs strong for a tilt at another flag.
Yep Wilson, a great product of the Norwood junior development program...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 124160
I hate Norwood. However I respect them unlike all other SANFL clubs. Everyone involved in the club is mad for success. It is a club with unexcelled history outside of the AFL, Norwood deserves a place in the big league.

Adelaide Oval has rejuvenated football in the state and Norwood's close proximity to the ground means the majority of its supporter base are only 5 minutes from the ground. If a third team was to enter the AFL from South Australia it has to be the men from Norwood.

Norwood would have a distinct identity from the strongly working class Port and middle class Crows. It would appeal to the large and wealthy population East of Adelaide that has never been properly represented (both AFL clubs are located on the west coast of the city).

Norwood would have a strong rivalry obviously with Port but also with the Crows who ultimately consigned them to not play in the league as Port would always get a second licence along with an attempt to buy the Crows liscence in 1995.

I believe there is more than enough support for three teams in the state and that South Australia deserves another club.

The economic argument for South Australia and the City of Adelaide is also there as we would have 3 games every 2 weeks in the city.

Thoughts?
View attachment 124151 View attachment 124153
View attachment 124155
View attachment 124158

I'm also from Port + they have my support.

They would need to change their song but lucky they have one sitting up their sleeve...it would also be the oldest song in the league by far written for the club in 1878 to the traditional Irish tune 'Killarney'.

FORWARD MEN OF NORWOOD.

All who love the noble game, hear the story I proclaim;
How the Norwoods earned their fame [How they won their glory].
First, against the Souths so strong, Cheers went up, both loud and long;
Forward! Norwoods, red and blue. Fair ones' smiles encourage you.

Chorus
Cheer the bonny red and blue,
Cheer the colours fast and true,
Keep their colours still in view,
Forward! Men of Norwood.

Who will e'er forget that day, Sturdy Mac led on the play,
Giffen dashing through the fray, Kicked first goal for Norwood?
And from thousand throats that cried, Cleft the air up to the skies.
Forward! Norwood, red and blue. Fair ones' eyes are watching you.

(Chorus)

When they met the sprightly Vics, With their little marks and tricks,

People thought would be a fix, Too much for the Norwoods.
Like the Souths the Vics were licked, Traynor for us one goals kicked.
Forward! Norwoods, red and blue, Wiry Vics you did subdue.

(Chorus)

Sturdy Ports and Adelaides, Little Parks [those knowing blades]
Kensingtons, who love the maids, All succumbed to Norwood.
So the first year passed away, And our men still held the sway;
Forward! Norwood, red and blue, Beauty's lips are praising you.

Put the song on double speed and remove the vibrato and you have a great original football song.

Would never happen. There's already enough outrage putting a team in GWS before Tassie. Perhaps in 20 years if the AFL deems Tasmania worthy of an AFL team (or a Vic club moves there) they can look at adding another to make it 20 teams.

However, there are too many teams in the competition as it is.

Merge North and the Dogs, to become West Melbourne, my mighty Saints take over Melbourne, to become the Melbourne Saints.

WA & SA each get a 3rd club.

Make it happen by 2030.

Merge North and the Dogs, to become West Melbourne, my mighty Saints take over Melbourne, to become the Melbourne Saints.

WA & SA each get a 3rd club.

Make it happen by 2030.
Melbourne Saints can use the St Kilda guernsey so it doesn't clash with Norwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back