The Number 35

Remove this Banner Ad

x_les_x

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Reading the list management thread and the allocation of numbers sparked a thought, almost two years on from j-macs passing should we allocate the number 35 to a player? there is no rush to allocate the number however has anybody deserved to don the number or should we keep it retired for then next few years? There have been past suggestions that Jack Hombsch or Tom Jonas should be moved to the number but personally I would like to see it retired.

"The club had originally retired the number for one year, but the club's general manager of football Peter Rohde said the club had elected not to do so in 2014.
The number won't be retired permanently and will instead be reallocated at a time the club's football department feels appropriate.

"We can't lose sight of the fact that the number was John's while he was here, which is why we retired it for a season," said Rohde.

"It isn't going to be retired permanently, but we're not in any rush to reallocate it simply because a year has passed.
"We'll hand it over to a new player one day, but whether that's in one year, two years or five years will be a case of 'wait and see."

Source: http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2013-12-03/numbers-up-the-wrap-up

When his mates who were in Vegas win a flag with his spirit assisting them, then they can make the call when we take it out of retirement.

You still see photos of the locker room and the #35 locker with John's name still on it. If they re-allocated the number tomorrow I'd be a bit uncomfortable. But the passage of time might change that. The club has made the right call leaving it for the time being.

When his mates who were in Vegas win a flag with his spirit assisting them, then they can make the call when we take it out of retirement.

Totally agree. It's for those guys to decide.

As far as I'm concerned just now, # 35 is still being worn.

TBH I had forgotten about J-Mac when I saw the topic, #35 is always Chad Cornes to me.

This tells me its definitely time to reissue the number.

TBH I had forgotten about J-Mac when I saw the topic, #35 is always Chad Cornes to me.

This tells me its definitely time to reissue the number.

You're so controversial.

For the record I wouldn't yet. Unless a close friend wanted to wear it in him memory.

RussellEbertHandball you worry me sometimes.

I thought my man love for Jasper was a worry but you man love with everything walking, talking breathing Port takes it to another level :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it was a low number like 1-18 I would be an issue, but no real need to give anyone 35 unless they specifically want it. Cant see why anyone would though.

If the family agree - we should set up a John McCarthy scholarship with the Sorrento FC and the scholarship holder spends a year at Port and gets to wear 35 at Port be it in the AFL, SANFL A grade or Academy side, depending on how that scholarship holder gets to the club ie via draft or as Magpies 15 contracted players or to the academy side contract.

The jumper technically isn't retired - it'll be given to a player that fulfills certain criteria at the discretion of the playing group iirc.

I'd be ok with it if a player wore it next year and I'd also be ok with it if the number wasn't worn until the current crop who went on that ill fated trip have all retired from AFL. Totally up to how the players feel about it IMO.

There have been past suggestions that Jack Hombsch or Tom Jonas should be moved to the number but personally I would like to see it retired.
Anything but this. Even taking out the John McCarthy factor, Hombsch going down 1 number and Tom Jonas moving from a high number to a slightly less high number is a bit pointless.

Anything but this. Even taking out the John McCarthy factor, Hombsch going down 1 number and Tom Jonas moving from a high number to a slightly less high number is a bit pointless.

Plus the players set up their twitter, instagram etc accounts and sign signatures with their playing numbers. Most players don't want to change their number once they have established themselves. Obviously the club expects the captain to wear #1. Wilbur and Lade changed numbers after they suffered back to back horrendous injuries.

If the family agree - we should set up a John McCarthy scholarship with the Sorrento FC and the scholarship holder spends a year at Port and gets to wear 35 at Port be it in the AFL, SANFL A grade or Academy side, depending on how that scholarship holder gets to the club ie via draft or as Magpies 15 contracted players or to the academy side contract.

Brilliant !!

It would have to depend on the players and them only.Me personally don't touch it, even 2 odd years later it's a touchy subject for me as a fan; could never imagine how those boys would feel.Alwayd have had this thought of us winning a flag with the boys all getting announced in number 35 to get their medals.Just my thought.

It'll sort itself out in due time.

Hawthorn retired #5 for years after Crimmo died.

And Collingwood still hasn't handed #42 to anyone...

That was Milane wasn't it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back