Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Hi y'all.

The football season has come to a close (essentially) and as I generally ensure mileage out of my television in this time, and as it's the on-season for returning shows, thought I might see what everybody is checking out and maybe we can make some recommendations to kill the longer than usual lead in to season 2015.

I tend to binge watch and as such fall behind on a bit. I've recently had a very high recommendation to get into Sons of Anarchy, one I've had sitting in queue and the person that pushed it on me is a genuine genius. That's a month gone.

There are also some favourites kicking off again... Boardwalk Empire, The Walking Dead, South Park, The Simpsons, Family Guy (the crossover is on this Sunday).

There are some new ones starting, Gotham in particular standing out for me.

I'm gonna be regularly catching up with what I know as it hits (TPB) but will be set on catching up on SOA, Masters Of Sex and revisiting The Wire.

Of course, a year doesn't go by without a return to Arrested Development and The Office and I think it's time to put 30 Rock back in the gun.

Some I've seen that I've noticed have little love over here are Rick and Morty, Review with Forrest Macneil, Drunk History and Nathan For You.

And, of course, the round ball is back.

Is there anything I need to see?

Is there anything YOU need to see?

I'm The Filth Wizard and hey. I'm your host...

True Detective if you haven't yet. And I'll be re watching Oz.

Ah, yes. Oz is due a rewatch. Well, I've got six months.

And True Detective if I haven't yet, whatchootalkinabout.

Fargo if you haven't yet.

Have you checked out The Strain? I've watched 2 eps and it seems pretty good.

Also penny dreadful is supposed to be decent

Yeah, I think I'll binge The Strain once it's done.

Penny Dreadful is very good although it parallels a tad with The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

It gets an extra star regardless for Eva Green :thumbsu:

I was thinking of watching Peaky Blinders but haven't heard recommendations either way. Cillian Murphy generally is only in quality stuff.

I have a glut of family members recommending it to me.

Sigh. There's another one in the queue.

Ah, yes. Oz is due a rewatch. Well, I've got six months.

And True Detective if I haven't yet, whatchootalkinabout.

Fargo if you haven't yet.
True Detective is amazeballs.

Been given good wraps on Halt and Catch Fire. Need to get back into Newsroom, Ray Donovan and House of Cards.

Been given good wraps on Halt and Catch Fire. Need to get back into Newsroom, Ray Donovan and House of Cards.
I've heard good things about House of Cards, would you recommend?

I'm up to the final season of Sons of Anarchy and just praying the finale doesn't take a Dexter turn (no lumberjacks). And more Marilyn Manson.

I'm up to the final season of Sons of Anarchy and just praying the finale doesn't take a Dexter turn (no lumberjacks). And more Marilyn Manson.
House of Cards is really good, I enjoy the wheeling and dealing, although the style can be difficult for some because the main character talks to the audience at times. Worth a go.

House Of Cards is immense.

And of course, as far as True Detective is concerned the fanboys are gonna go nuts with Vince Vaughn and Colin Farrell cast now.

I say wow.

I think people forget where Woody and McConaughey were a year ago.

We have spoiler tags on this forum for a reason thanks miss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't realise they had been named. Vaughan was great in Clay Pigeons back before he turned to s**t as an actor. Hopefully he takes this and runs with it.

Woke up this morning at 4.30 and couldn't get back to sleep, so gave Halt and Catch Fire a crack.

9 episodes later...

Pretty addictive.

My recent viewings...
For those with lots of patience I would highly recommend Rectify.
Currently watching The Americans which has taken a massive step up in the second season.
Broadchurch was good a little overrated by critics methinks but well worth a look.

For credibility my top 5 shows of all time:
1. The Wire
2. Six Feet Under
3. Mad Men
4. Curb Your Enthusiasm
5. Breaking Bad

You people watch too much TV.

(Not worth spoiler tags, but whispers that the first 5 minutes of Ep 1 will be particularly brutal. Should be good.)

You people watch too much TV.

(Not worth spoiler tags, but whispers that the first 5 minutes of Ep 1 will be particularly brutal. Should be good.)
I stopped watching at the start of season 4, the writers refused to take risks it seemed to me. Worth reinvesting?

Dunno, man. Given that I'm not really sure I'm on board with your contention (and I'm currently reading about a 9 on the obsessive WD fan scale), I'm probably not the best person to ask.

Also thinking the joke in that meme would be somewhat lost on you.....but without getting all spoiler-y here, it's probably not a bad example of the writers taking the show to some new and interesting (and very dark) places in Season 4. Would definitely rate S4 as the darkest season so far. It's not all five star stuff, S4 had a couple of really poor episodes, IMO. (Most notably the episode "Still". Probably short for "Still watching after this s**t?") But generally speaking I reckon S4 was quality. Some cool resolution (of past plot-lines), lots of new characters, and a good set-up for Season 5. And fwiw, the writers have promised this will be the darkest (and most savage/bloodthirsty) season yet.

Either way, can't f'ing wait. Still trumps nearly everything out there.

Orrite, good enough for me. The "Still" comment is how I felt, why am I still watching?

Cool, will revist. Sounds like it is going in the right direction.

This is also the point at which I should probably admit that If You Are The One is my other favourite TV show.

(Enjoying the aforementioned Peaky Blinders, too.)

This is also the point at which I should probably admit that If You Are The One is my other favourite TV show.

(Enjoying the aforementioned Peaky Blinders, too.)

Gold.

Also, gotta say I'm not ashamed that I like TWD as much as you do, Deano...

I stopped watching at the start of season 4, the writers refused to take risks it seemed to me. Worth reinvesting?
Had the same problem. I started losing interest in season 2, stuck with it through season 3 then gave up.

I saw season one of Southland and liked it but haven't got around to starting S2 yet. Anyone seen that yet?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back