The Official 2011 Fremantle Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I am confident in our recruiters and in Ross but what I have struggled with is the evidence of the past season both for our club and others......if two of our kpp are injured what have we got to continue any momentum we have week in week out....Carlton had the same problem..while Geelong and Hawthorn showed depth in the kpp department.......I am hopeful our fellas have an ace or two up their sleeve for the rookie draft to go along with Dawson....

Chris..if your reading this...what are our chances of getting Tom Lee several people I speak too really rate him.... your thoughts ?

Man I haven't seen this many whiney bitches since I was an hour late feeding my dogs last litter of puppies.

Geelong took Kersten - must mean he is a 200 gamer.

Collingwood with their absolute complete list took talls - means we are now dead in the water because we didn't.

I'd love to have gotten some talls, but only if they can play ...if given the option between a midfielder we rate versus a tall that we have our doubts on - I'll take the mid every day of the week.

We were a long way off the pace this year and injuries aside - think back to Carlton and Hawthorn at Subi this year .....we were smashed in the guts. Actually it was beyond smashed.

When I did the 5 picks thang I wanted us taking 3 mids, a KP and a tallish utility - we took 3 mids, a tallish running back and a X factor forward - sorry if I don't slash my wrists just yet.

I believe they are building a list to a very definite plan ...tall running mids with very good skills.

It is a risk - yep but AFL footy is a risk, don't do what every one else is doing - do what you think wins games of footy.

Have your gloom, I have seen the dark days of this club and we are no where near it and I believe our best footy is ahead of this list.

In 2 years time if these guys meet their potential we could possibly put a midfield rotation out of Barlow, Mundy, Morabito, De Boer, Fyfe, Hill ...if Pitt and Sherridan come along there is not one of them under 6 foot and De Boer aside - all look to have excellent foot skills.

Throw JA out in front of this lot and piss off and give him some room ....we might just be celebrating this draft.

Man I haven't seen this many whiney bitches since I was an hour late feeding my dogs last litter of puppies.

Geelong took Kersten - must mean he is a 200 gamer.

Collingwood with their absolute complete list took talls - means we are now dead in the water because we didn't.

I'd love to have gotten some talls, but only if they can play ...if given the option between a midfielder we rate versus a tall that we have our doubts on - I'll take the mid every day of the week.

We were a long way off the pace this year and injuries aside - think back to Carlton and Hawthorn at Subi this year .....we were smashed in the guts. Actually it was beyond smashed.

When I did the 5 picks thang I wanted us taking 3 mids, a KP and a tallish utility - we took 3 mids, a tallish running back and a X factor forward - sorry if I don't slash my wrists just yet.

I believe they are building a list to a very definite plan ...tall running mids with very good skills.

It is a risk - yep but AFL footy is a risk, don't do what every one else is doing - do what you think wins games of footy.

Have your gloom, I have seen the dark days of this club and we are no where near it and I believe our best footy is ahead of this list.

In 2 years time if these guys meet their potential we could possibly put a midfield rotation out of Barlow, Mundy, Morabito, De Boer, Fyfe, Hill ...if Pitt and Sherridan come along there is not one of them under 6 foot and De Boer aside - all look to have excellent foot skills.

Throw JA out in front of this lot and piss off and give him some room ....we might just be celebrating this draft.

Sensible post. I agree.

....but you're not posting correctly in this thread. Need more doom and gloom like a Nick Cave song.

Just responding to how Ross will handle the forward line.

Since Riewoldt tore the hammy from the bone, Schneider and Milne have been the better forwards for the Saints and they made a GF without an effective tall forward for most of the year.

Franklin got most of his footy up the ground and got a greater share of his goals this year on the run with guys like Breust and Savage bobbing up for bags of goals during the year.

Chris..if your reading this...what are our chances of getting Tom Lee several people I speak too really rate him.... your thoughts ?

I'm one of those who rate him highly. Thought perhaps he would be one who could be a late chance in the draft. He is a much better option than James Sellar, and has more upside than Beau Wilkes.

He'll definitely get rookied though. And hopefully its us who picks him.

I'm not terribly au fait with how other clubs select their lists, but ours seems to be solely the domain of bond/lloyd. Does this mean that they determine the game plan? I don't have a problem with it, but they essentially are saying to the coach, "here are your players, make them work". is that normally how it's done?

Another point I have considered in regards to our draft stratergy is that perhaps the recruiters spoke to Lyon and took into account his history of being able to get the best out of mature experienced players.

If Lyon can improve on what Harvey was able to get out of Bradley, Anthony and Johnson then I dont think our KPP stocks are as bad as they seem then add Dawson as well. Perhaps the recruiters took this into account.

The only thing I would say to that is that the need is probably not a urgent as you are suggesting. Pav will play there next year. Sandilands will be up there more, Clarke will chip in. Bradley prefers to play across half forward, Anthony will probably be better with better kickers delivering to him and guys like Fyfe and Moribito will also play through there.
Next year may be a better year for talls. Darling is a third tall battering ram type and Freo seemed to think there were a lot of flaws in Kersten game (and character) that would take years to iron out, plus rightly or wrongly he was considered undersized. It may be quicker and more effective to get the real deal next year if available. I assume they know if that is likely.

Is there any link for this?

I'm not terribly au fait with how other clubs select their lists, but ours seems to be solely the domain of bond/lloyd. Does this mean that they determine the game plan? I don't have a problem with it, but they essentially are saying to the coach, "here are your players, make them work". is that normally how it's done?

Lyon was interviewed on Fox, he said he had been given an in depth overview of our draft model and he said it was the right one and he was happy to endorse it.

To me it is pretty simple our draft plan is best available and we are looking for kids of character who can kick. Not a shock but this has delivered more mids and utilities than bigs.

Lyons game plan is likely to involve mother trucking load of run and carry. Runners are key.

Funnily enough The Jockey has become my favourite pick - I love the guys who are told you can't and stick it.

I can't wait for Lyon to squeeze this playing group.

Is there any link for this?

No. just info from a BF poster who chats to some of the guys from Freo. Apparently, Freo felt he would need a fair bit of time to round out his game. The other stuff about character was mainly based on some interviews he did and some stuff he said on facebook. Went on like a bit of a tool. But on the positive side he did want to go to Melbourne and get out of Perth, just not sure if he meant Geelong. Most people were shocked we didn't take him at 29. We don't really know the reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I said earlier, the Jury's out on Michie & Mello so we'll put that to bed. Clarke was a tall that we punted on at pick 36 a few years ago, proving that it's not all doom & gloom for picking talls outside the top 10 (so why haven't we done it in any recent drafts?!) Walters & Mayne are much maligned players for one reason or another. I'm happy to persevere with those 2 anyhow for the time being but in recent drafts it'd be fair to say we are striking out frequently with these interstate bargain basement 'draft bargains' that we seem to find in the November drafts..

Not sure why you're ranting about picks like Bollenhagen, Bucovaz, Crichton, Roberton, Hall, etc. These guys were taken with picks in the 50s and 70s. Just because every player we select doesn't turn out decent doesn't mean we are poor drafters... look to previous drafts and tell me how many players in this pick region become good

Lyon was interviewed on Fox, he said he had been given an in depth overview of our draft model and he said it was the right one and he was happy to endorse it.

To me it is pretty simple our draft plan is best available and we are looking for kids of character who can kick. Not a shock but this has delivered more mids and utilities than bigs.

Lyons game plan is likely to involve mother trucking load of run and carry. Runners are key.

Funnily enough The Jockey has become my favourite pick - I love the guys who are told you can't and stick it.

I can't wait for Lyon to squeeze this playing group.

Cool that the draft model suits Ross's vision, although I guess he wouldn't have taken yhe job otherwise.

Lachie is also my fav from the draft. Like ballas with his blistering speed, I like it when the shortarses have a cache of attributes that put them ahead of their taller counterparts. Reckon we'll see a bit of him next year.

No. just info from a BF poster who chats to some of the guys from Freo. Apparently, Freo felt he would need a fair bit of time to round out his game. The other stuff about character was mainly based on some interviews he did and some stuff he said on facebook. Went on like a bit of a tool. But on the positive side he did want to go to Melbourne and get out of Perth, just not sure if he meant Geelong. Most people were shocked we didn't take him at 29. We don't really know the reason.

Very surpised he wasn't taken by you lot a bit earlier so there must some knock on him. Perhaps it's attitude.

Any toolish tendencies should get eradicated pretty quickly at the Cattery. We like the youngsters to be keen, appreciative and respect the privilege of representing the GFC.

Very surpised he wasn't taken by you lot a bit earlier so there must some knock on him. Perhaps it's attitude.

Any toolish tendencies should get eradicated pretty quickly at the Cattery. We like the youngsters to be keen, appreciative and respect the privilege of representing the GFC.

I think it will be easier for a club that has the recent history you have, rather than a club who had a poor start and is trying to develop a culture.

I'm one of those who rate him highly. Thought perhaps he would be one who could be a late chance in the draft. He is a much better option than James Sellar, and has more upside than Beau Wilkes.

He'll definitely get rookied though. And hopefully its us who picks him.

Do you see him being a legit KPP at AFL level Chris25? I can't help but think that he's more of a tall mobile utility ala Jonno. Not that there's anything wrong with that just wondering where you see him playing at the next level.

I've heard (third or fourth hand, Chinese whispers style) that we have interviewed him, so it's a distinct possibility.:thumbsu:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...-docker-motivated-by-fathers-lost-vfl-chance/

A couple of things,

Crozier learns the pecking order when he sits in Pavs seat
Lachie's been a boarder for 3 years so moving away from home doesn't worry him
Voice over lady mentions Sutcliffe's initial dissapointment at being overlooked by the eagles....??? It was freo that didn't pick him up last year.
Crozier has an... interesting voice
Simon Lloyd defends the decision not to draft any WA kids for the 2nd year in a row.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back