The Official "Is It OK To Laugh At The 76ers?" Week 4 Thread

Would you have shirtfronted Vladimir Putin at this week's G20 Summit?

• Yes

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • You bet you are, you bet I am

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters
Apr 18, 2003
The Room
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Once again, before venturing into another week of NBA action here's a look back at a few NBA issues from last week:

39b455e0108b4bb3000df13641c8e605_crop_exact.png

An Idea That I Copied From Someone Else:

I don’t wade through the morass of the BigFooty Main Board very often, but there is one thread on there worth keeping an eye on: The Race for the Flag in Squiggly Lines.

So impressive is the graph work on that thread, I’ve decided to plagiarise it, albeit in a much less sophisticated and mathematical manner (and sans squiggle).

What I’ve basically done is graph each NBA team based on their Offensive and Defensive Ratings (slightly weighted for relative Point Differential and Strength Of Schedule) to give a visual representation of how the teams are currently performing at both ends of the court.

Basically, the higher the team is on the chart the better they are Offensively. While the farther they are to the right, the better they are Defensively.

I’ve also included the last 10 NBA Champions on there as a guide.

oT7zOq6.png

How ‘Bout Them Raptors?!?!

The chart shows a handful of teams that already have a combined Offensive and Defensive Rating comparable to those of past Champions, perhaps an indicator of just how premature it is to create a chart like this (and the fact that I didn’t give any weighting to home games vs road games).

One such team amongst the thicket of trophies is the Toronto Raptors, who currently sit atop the Eastern Conference standings. DeRozan and Lowry are quietly doing their thing and the team’s depth has been on show.

Lou Williams has added a dose of unabashed offense off the bench and James Johnson is the ultimate wildcard: A spectacular rather than solid player who you just have to hope maintains a manageable ratio Great Plays to Knucklehad Errors.

With so many frontcourt options available, coach Casey has handled the minutes split between Amir Johnson, Valanciunas, Patterson and Hansbrough with the dexterity of a circus performer spinning multiple plates at a time.

Are any of those plates starting to wobble? I’d suggest Valanciunas (playing a career low 22.8 mpg) is looking a tad unsteady, his lack of agility (particularly on D) causing Casey during to look elsewhere during crunch time and slowing Jonas’ journey towards reaching his potential.

With playing time being so thoroughly chopped up between the big men, there is a chance that individual players will start grumbling that they should be getting the lion's share of those minutes.

But the Raps are winning and such discontent hasn’t surfaced…yet.

16320987-mmmain.jpg

The Philadelphia 76ers: How Low Can You Go?

Much was made of Philadelphia's thrashing at the hands of the Mavericks. Losing by 53 points is no easy feat and an instant reaction would be to assume that the 76ers defense really, really sucks.

And while that’s true to a certain extent, the bigger problem is at the offensive end where they are the league’s worst at putting points on the board and a glaring outlier on the chart.

Philadelphia was this close to beating the Rockets if not for some late Harden heroics and a tech foul against Brett Brown (was Brown kicking the ball a brain snap or a stealth tanking technique?)

It’s easy to dismiss the roster of Philly as being sub-NBL level, but lets not forget that these are real people out on the court trying their hearts out. Perhaps if we knew their back stories and the hardships involved, we would not be so quick to criticise the 76ers players.

Here is one such tale...

76ers Centre Henry Sims went undrafted after graduating from Georgetown in 2012. Before joining the 76ers, he spent time with the D-League team 'Canton Charge' (named for the town of Canton, Ohio not Canton, China) during which he faced his most difficult moment as a basketball player and a human being...

The final game of the D-League season saw the Charge needing to win to qualify for the playoffs. With time winding down and his team trailing by 1, Sims received the ball in the post with a chance to win the game. However, Sims was unaware of the clock situation and failed to launch a shot before the buzzer.

And thus, for his airheaded mistake that cost Canton the win, Henry was given the nickname “Dim” Sims.

Despite this setback, Sims fought his way into the NBA on the back of hard work and determination. “Although I still get called 'Dimmie' by the odd heckler, I’d nevertheless like to think I’m a true inspiration to all the NBA hopefuls out there” says Sims.

Random Quiz Question:

Currently the 76ers sit at 0-9. The worst record to begin a season in NBA History was by the New Jersey Nets, who started off 0-18 in the 2009/10 season.

Can you name the starting 5 of that team?

G: Devin Harris
G: Courtney Lee
F: Chris Douglas-Roberts
F: Yi Jianlian
C: Brook Lopez

And keeping with the 76ers theme...

Obligatory K.J. McDaniels Highlight Of The Week:

Other Notes From The Chart:

A) The Cavs found their offensive rhythm this weekend with a close win over the Celtics (arguably aided by the refs) and a blowout over the Hawks. Cleveland will need a vast improvement at the defensive end however if they want to be Championship contenders.

B) “Look at the ball movement by these guys.”

This was a throwaway comment by Walt Frazier during the Knicks-Jazz game on Saturday, but it's a comment that wouldn’t have been made about the Jazz last season.

Utah have greatly improved on last season's pedestrian Offensive Rating of 100.6, and though it couldn’t help lead them to anything better than a 2-3 record during this week’s road trip, they were competitive in all 5 games.

C) Defending Conference Finalists the Pacers and Thunder find themselves in similar positions: struggling to generate offense while their best scorers sit out injured.

This was best reflected in last week’s game between Indiana and Miami, as the Pacers desperately tried to hang on to a slim 4th quarter lead against the Heat. The last 5 minutes included the following Indiana offense:
  • A Chris Copeland clear out on the left block. Copeland awkwardly backs his way into the paint where his off-balance shot is eventually blocked.
  • Lavon Allen misses an easy 5-footer along the baseline.
  • Donald Sloan fails to break down the Heat’s pick and roll defense, which results in an end of shot-clock heave.
All of this showed just how much the Pacers miss the individual offensive talent provided by their stars. And yet, Indiana still ground out a narrow victory in this game, a testament to their defense and rebounding efforts.

D)
The Lakers are awful defensively. No surprise there. But what might come as a surprise is the League’s best defensive team: the Houston Rockets. Will James Harden have the last laugh?

Overlooked Play Of The Week:

Just Manu being Manu…

And Briefly…

• The atmosphere at The Palace of Auburn Hills for the Pistons/Jazz game was, for lack of a better term, lifeless...
To liven things up, the Pistons staff were chucking out t-shirts to the crowd. A common thing to do during timeouts you say? Well yeah, but in Detroit this was happening DURING the game.

As a result you could see entire sections of the crowd looking away from the court, instead waving and begging for merchandise to be thrown in their direction. Meanwhile the Jazz and Pistons continued playing, their game a seeming afterthought.

Pretty poor stuff.​

• Stephen Curry has stepped up his “Steal the ball off the inbounds after a make” game.
  • When you hear the term “Dual Point Guard Lineup” you usually think of Bledsoe/Dragic. But the 2 most prolific Dual Point Guard Lineups at the moment are Kyrie/LeBron and Holiday/Tyreke.
  • Moreso than Phoenix, these two backcourt lineups have an even distribution of “your turn/my turn” ball handling and playmaking duties. A delicate situation, but it's working for both teams so far.
  • We saw Baynes/Bogut match up against each other early on in the week. Baynes showed that he can set solid screens; with the way Bogut sags far, far back on pick-and-rolls, such screens created multiple wide open mid-range opportunites for his teammates.
  • By the way, the 2 Aussie big men have never played in a major international tournament together...lets hope it happens at some stage.
  • The Warriors fans are great and all, sure, but in that loss to the Spurs the mass walkout began with their team down 12 with 2:25 to go. Is this acceptable or not? It seemed a bit early to me.
  • Earlier this week Channing Frye was allowed to drive all the way from the 3 point line into the paint for an uncontested dunk. Yes, Channing Frye! A drive and dunk! His teammates couldn’t believe their eyes...
  • In related news, Frye did this in a game against the Knicks.
  • In more related news, Amar’e was (supposed to be) the weakside help defender.
  • Gotta give credit to Steve Blake for his fantastic defensive effort on Kemba Walker in Portland’s close win over the Hornets.
  • And earlier this week, there was of course Blake’s confrontation with Kenneth Faried. Too bad Steve Blake wasn’t at the G20 Summit…I’m sure he would have shirtfronted Putin.
8196184.jpg

What To Watch For This Week:

Mon: Milwaukee @ Miami. An early start after an overnight stay in Miami. Will this spell disaster for the Bucks?

Tue: Houston @ Memphis. A meeting between the teams with the 2 best records in the West.

Wed: New Orleans @ Sacramento. Potential contenders for the 8th spot in the West. Plus, Davis vs Cousins.

Thu: San Antonio @ Cleveland. Lets see how LeBron's new mob deals with the Spurs.

Fri: Inside the NBA. Still the funniest NBA show around.

Sat: Lakers @ Dallas. Look at the chart. Look where Dallas' Offensive Rating is located. Now look at where the Lakers Defense is rated.

Sun: Philadelphia @ New York. Is this where the 76ers losing streak ends?

Last edited:
Quality read as always.

That McDaniels block was massive, but also at the point where he could have just grabbed it in the air. And lol dim sims.

Looking forward to bucks heat in the morning.

smashh

Premiership Player
Apr 14, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Trail Blazers
Knicks only team to have won in week 4 so the rest of u r s**t!!

We may or may not have been the only game so far :)
Maybe it's about time we laugh at the Nuggets.

They did allow Portland 80something first half points. Portland on the road. On a back to back. On the 4th game in 5 nights. Shaw surely doesn't have long left

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Wolves apparently looking to deal Corey Brewer. Would be a good move IMO, because their wing situation is really crowded, and Brewer has the least upside of any of them. He's not really the type of player that has much value to a poor or young, developing team.

I'd try and trade him for a draft pick, just to make sure the minutes are freed up. Gives guys like Wiggins, Muhammad, LaVine and Robinson the opportunity for more court time, which can only be good for their continued development.

Would be good if they could somehow move Budinger too.

Jun 23, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
With so many frontcourt options available, coach Casey has handled the minutes split between Amir Johnson, Valanciunas, Patterson and Hansbrough with the dexterity of a circus performer spinning multiple plates at a time.

Are any of those plates starting to wobble? I’d suggest Valanciunas (playing a career low 22.8 mpg) is looking a tad unsteady, his lack of agility (particularly on D) causing Casey during to look elsewhere during crunch time and slowing Jonas’ journey towards reaching his potential.

Valanciunas is actually putting up the best per minute numbers of his career so far this year, with particular big improvements in his block-to-foul ratio, turnover rate and ability to get to the line. If anything, he should be the one getting more minutes.

Oct 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Heat
Valanciunas is actually putting up the best per minute numbers of his career so far this year, with particular big improvements in his block-to-foul ratio, turnover rate and ability to get to the line. If anything, he should be the one getting more minutes.
Yeah agree. Seen the Raps 4 times so far and he looks very promising.

Sep 7, 2005
Firing GarPax
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls
Aaron Gordon done for a while

Wade & Mcbob out again. Plus probably the whole host of other guys that I've lost track of.

Wade injured? Colour me shocked :p

Wolves apparently looking to deal Corey Brewer. Would be a good move IMO, because their wing situation is really crowded, and Brewer has the least upside of any of them. He's not really the type of player that has much value to a poor or young, developing team.

I'd try and trade him for a draft pick, just to make sure the minutes are freed up. Gives guys like Wiggins, Muhammad, LaVine and Robinson the opportunity for more court time, which can only be good for their continued development.

Would be good if they could somehow move Budinger too.

They need to bite the bullet and deal Pek too. Sure you don't want Dieng playing 30 plus a game, but get an athletic 5 into the squad with the guys you listed above and thats a pretty damn entertaining unit

Pau Gasol rebounding and blocking shots at the highest rates of his career so far this season. Must be a change for Bulls fans having some defensive presence at the starting PF spot, alongside Noah.

carlos-boozer-crazy-o.gif

Oct 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Heat
Aaron Gordon done for a while

Wade injured? Colour me shocked :p

They need to bite the bullet and deal Pek too. Sure you don't want Dieng playing 30 plus a game, but get an athletic 5 into the squad with the guys you listed above and thats a pretty damn entertaining unit

carlos-boozer-crazy-o.gif
Must be the Chicago air doesn't allow children's bodies to develop properly. Anthony Davis is doomed.

Apr 18, 2003
The Room
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yeah I'd like to see him get more minutes too. Casey seems a bit reluctant to set him loose though.

Easy to forget Valanciunas is only 22 years old, so he's still in the very early stages of his career...would like to see him continue to improve.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker
Yeah I'd like to see him get more minutes too. Casey seems a bit reluctant to set him loose though.

Easy to forget Valanciunas is only 22 years old, so he's still in the very early stages of his career...would like to see him continue to improve.

Holy s**t, really...hes 22?
Wow...

Jun 23, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams

Eh, I think that's the last thing they need to do. Having a big strong centre who can rebound and score in the paint is invaluable for them. Just gives them something consistent to lean on. I don't think just because a young guy plays well off the bench that you need to trade the guy in front of him. They've got zero big man depth behind those two, so I'd try and keep that tandem together as long as I could.

Back