The San Antonio Spurs thread - A Fiesta of Youth

Remove this Banner Ad

Spurs have signed Boban Marjanovic - I know nothing about him but from what i've read he is a 7'4 centre who was named European centre of the year, so it looks like a solid pick up and we get some very big size on the team. Looks solid offensively, defensively he isn't great (this is from the 3 minutes I just watched of him) but should intimidate players and change a lot of shots due to his size.

We also signed Jonathan Simmons, never heard of him but can handle the ball and is a very aggressive dunker by the looks of it. Shot 40% from 3s last year in the D-league. Could be a solid 3rd stringer.

Would like to see us add a back up SF for Leonard still - Anderson has been disappointing thus far in SL. And wouldn't be against bringing back Bonner to fill out the roster.

Spurs have signed Boban Marjanovic - I know nothing about him but from what i've read he is a 7'4 centre who was named European centre of the year, so it looks like a solid pick up and we get some very big size on the team. Looks solid offensively, defensively he isn't great (this is from the 3 minutes I just watched of him) but should intimidate players and change a lot of shots due to his size.

We also signed Jonathan Simmons, never heard of him but can handle the ball and is a very aggressive dunker by the looks of it. Shot 40% from 3s last year in the D-league. Could be a solid 3rd stringer.

Would like to see us add a back up SF for Leonard still - Anderson has been disappointing thus far in SL. And wouldn't be against bringing back Bonner to fill out the roster.

I think the fact that Simmons has been upgraded from our D-League team should say a lot. We've had a year to look at him, and judging by the highlights and stats, is very athletic and a good 3-pt shooter. Can't tell from stats or video what type of defensive player he is, but had a few athletic blocks in there - but if he's someone who provide solid defence in addition to his 3pt shooting and athleticism, could see himself having a role in the 2nd string unit.
Note sure if he will be getting much more than about 5mpg this season though.

Same goes for Marjanovic - who's highlight package mostly involved him just standing under the basket. Can't see him providing much more than what Baynes of '13-14 did (which given the front court in front of him, and the possibility of Bonner coming back, which I would be happy with, is hopefully all that will be needed).

Jesus, Marjanovic is huge! 7'4, 290lbs. He doesn't even have to leave the ground to dunk. Seems to have fairly soft hands which is good. I'm sure he will only play junk time, but I'm still fairly happy with this signing.

Other Spurs fans are happy with the signing and have said he is better than Baynes. I think he'll only see junk time minutes but it's nice to have someone huge we can just throw in the game to change things.

So pretty much the perfect Vegas Summer League for the Spurs: (I've only seen highlights, so others might have better opinions)

Won the Summer League. Kyle Anderson got league MVP and Jonathon Simmons final MVP.

Anderson averaged 21ppg / 6rpg and went to the line 9 times a game. From highlights seemed very comfortable attacking with the ball, and despite still looking slow, looked like he could always get to the spots he wanted, or be able to draw the foul. Now it will come down to whether he can do that against NBA defences, but you can't ask for anything more from Summer League.
Simmons averaged 17ppg and looked very athletic and took opportunities to attack the rim. He shot 3's quite poorly (I'm sure his d-league shooting looked much better)
Hopefully these guys can use this to step up and be part of the rotation when the season comes around.

Also I reckon the team would be very happy with Becky Hammon and her coaching. We won the league with a rookie coach, and won 5 games by under 5 pts (lost 2) - showing that we were able to both get defensive stops and find the right offensive plays when it mattered. Great to see, and hopefully she takes on a bigger role as an assistant this year.

Anderson was actually very good on defense - knew when to anticipate to tip passes and close out. On the offense he was his usual smart self, took what the offense gave him and created well for others with not only passes but his movement around the court. He'll be a good role player in the NBA he is too talented not to be solid.

Simmons again was great, i'm really really impressed with him, can handle the ball well and ran the point fine (as he has done all SL), that may be why he has shot the ball poorly - from what I noticed this game has been the creator most of the time. Has a decent mid range game but it's his attack and the ability to finish around the ring which is impressive, he is also a good passer of the ball which is perfect for our system and is aggressive on defense he is always trying to create something to happen on that end. Will be tough to crack the rotation but IMO he will play plenty of junk time and games we rest the old guys.

Agreed with Becky she sure as hell can coach, was really impressed with her and the commentators couldn't stop praising how good of a coach she is.

Had a quick squizz at our official preseason list and surprised to see Rasual Butler there. Not sure if he's got a contract or made the final cut - but would add a bit of depth in the wing spots.
----

Edit: Our 20-man preaseason roster:
df627b57-2458-41be-a21c-18e697fe5aa2.jpg

At this stage, I would guess a Depth Chart that looks something like:

PG: Parker / Mills / McCallum / Fredette (?)
SG: Green / Ginobili / Simmons
SF: Leonard / Anderson / Butler (?) / Williams (?)
PF: Aldridge / West
C: Duncan / Diaw / Bonner / Marjanovic

Obviously a few names that might not make the final cut, and a few other guys on the above list who I know very little about or whether they are any chance of offering anything for 15/16.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Holy Crap - Pop just played 17 guys in our preseason game against the heat. (97-94 loss)

Only 3 from the preseason squad that didn't play were Boris, Bonner and Jimmer :(

Starting 5 looked amazing that first quarter... that ball movement and spacing:D

Fredette, Ndoye, Sykes and Thomas all cut.

Was a shame about Jimmer - i know hed never shown anything at NBA level but i was hoping he would suit our system... I was really hoping hed be an extra PG/3pt shooter way down the bench for us.

Fredette, Ndoye, Sykes and Thomas all cut.

Was a shame about Jimmer - i know hed never shown anything at NBA level but i was hoping he would suit our system... I was really hoping hed be an extra PG/3pt shooter way down the bench for us.

sounds if it he's unflexible and still thinks his byu days count for something. if spurs basketball club cant fix him, no one can.

sounds if it he's unflexible and still thinks his byu days count for something. if spurs basketball club cant fix him, no one can.

Yep.
Apparently Pop didn't see enough defensively to make keeping him worthwhile.
Youd think training camp on a non-garaunteed contract at a club others would love to be on, when your NBA future is really in the balance, would be the ideal time for a guy to do absolutely everything he possibly can. Well, whatever he did show it wasnt enough. Its a shame coz hes clearly got some underlying talent.

We looked really good against Houston. LMA has slipped into our offence seamlessly. I'm going to predict Danny Green to have a huge year. Looks primed and ready.

3 games away, 1 game at home we are doing great to be 3-1, and could have had the OKC game too even. Kawhi is turning into a beast rapidly and I think few miss George Hill now.

Just watched the Toronto game. That was the best I've seen another team defend us for a long time. They hounded us the whole game and forced turnovers. We looked lazy. Hopefully we can take some lessons out of that game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back