The San Antonio Spurs thread - A Fiesta of Youth

Remove this Banner Ad

Good man, It really would be a fairytale finish after what we had to go through this year - struggling to beat top teams, having such a deep team, beating two of our biggest rivals in the playoffs (OKC and Dallas), finally beating Portland after stuggling against them over the years and of course after last years heartbreaking loss.

“We have four more [games] to win,” the Spurs’ big man told TNT’s David Aldridge. “We’ll do it this time.”

Bring it home Timmy!!!!

Hopefully Duncan stays around for another year but if we go all the way this year I don't blame him retiring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hasn't pop said once Duncan goes he'll go?

I think if the Spurs win it Duncan, Pop and Ginobili may all call it a day.

Yeah but I doubt he was 100% serious, I can't see Pop leaving unless a coach he has full confidence in takes over (Would of been Bud but he couldn't wait which was fair enough). He will still be around after he finishes coaching but I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed for a few years after Duncan's done to keep the team heading in a good direction. Even when we lose our big 3 I don't see us bottoming out - I think we'll be around 6-9 position in the West and a competitive team. Parker wants to play for at least another 4 years and Ginobili and Duncan (player option) are contracted next year. Another deep run next year isn't all impossible if they decide to come back and don't decline too much over the offseason.

Another typical Spurs move is to bring over the international talent we have, there is 2 or 3 players that could really make an impact for us when Duncan and Manu retire that could potentially come over to the NBA next season.

So there are reports Errote Messina, coach os CSKA Moscow is coming over to become an assistant coach for the Spurs. I don't know anything about him but apparently he is a really good coach in Europe from another forum and has won a a lot of European championships. Seems like a good pick up for an assistant.

12 Months the Spurs had to wait after the heartbreak of last year. To beat the Miami Heat in a rematch so convincingly is so sweet... this makes up for last year and couldn't be happier for the entire organization. I've only been a Spurs fan for 5 years but I love this team - they are my favourite team in all sports including football. Enjoy this fellow Spurs fans, this may just be the last championship we see the Big 3 win together.

BqOOD2WCIAAFdsQ.jpg:large

What a great team and fun season this was... Arguably the best passing team of all time no doubt.

BqOa-a_CMAQ4xDv.jpg:large

Life after Duncan ain't looking too bad after all.. Kawhi Leonard is a star and rightfully deserved his MVP today, the hard work he has put in since he has been drafted is amazing. We wouldn't have made 3 consecutive conference finals and 2 NBA finals if it wasn't for him.
5cLzu1O.jpg

Of course Pop is the teams biggest influence, the HOF coach never accepts the praises he gets but he has done so much for the franchise and it showed today, TEAM basketball beats a team full of superstars.
NearBoldBonobo.gif

The seasons done now it was a great ride, beating Dallas, OKC and Miami in the playoffs- three of our rivals was really enjoyable, the team has broken numerous records over the regular season and playoffs but its finished now. Were the 2014 NBA Champions, lets enjoy the offseason. No need to think about repeating just yet.
1gBkXqS.jpg

tim-duncan-979cc124f5165ec3.jpg

I have seen any of the press conferences since the win, but leading up to it Pop said he wants to coach next year, and Timmy said he hasn't thought about it yet, and hasnt spoken to anyone yet - both gave off the impression of "dont ask me that now".

I had said all up to this series that Timmy would probably retire if we won... but the more I saw the finals and how well he played and rejuvinated he looked, it really would suprise me if he does retire now without giving it one more shot.

Also, him, Parker, Ginobili and Kawhi all have contracts that finish next season - so you'd hope Tim will hang around until then.

But, If he decides he has had enough and wants to go back to Paintball, D&D and Swimming on his tropical island, then I would have no problem with that, and love him as much as someone could love a sportsman they have never met.

Im a little torn.. I would love for him to go around one more time, but it would also be perfect to end such a career on the highest of highs. I would be happy either way I guess :D

Im with you both going out as a champ would be a fitting ending to his career but it looks as though he'll be back next year which is great news. I can see Pop coaching out Parkers career even when Duncan is finished though. Bring everyone back next year, add one or two of our stashed players overseas and we will be a shot at another title. Couldn't give two shits about next season... we just won the title :cool:

He's still a beast. If he goes around again then the spurs are a good chance to go back-to-back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back