The official week 20 'lets make some noise' thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It's early days, and frankly ridiculous to declare winners and losers in this trade yet. Sorry to be blunt, but it's honestly way premature.

Jrue's played barely a full season in New Orleans yet, and we still have no idea how good our core rotation is because they've never freaking stayed healthy enough to play together for even five weeks.

Give us two to three seasons with Jrue/EG/Pondexter/Brow/Asik starting and Cole/Reke/Cunnigham/Ryno/Ajinca coming off the bench and then we'll be in a position to judge whether we should have regrets.

Two to three years is probably the minimum needed to gauge the value from Philly's POV too. Not only in terms of the real value of Noel and Saric, but also the net value of the tank job to end all tanking jobs.

Situation was right, for both teams. Talking from a Phila standpoint, he was our only tradeable asset and we maximised value by getting two lottery picks to start a complete rebuild. If the build doesn't work it won't be because we traded away Jrue.

No one quite cracks the sads like Skip over twitter, except maybe one ex-BigBasketbally member....

Goes from praise to meltdown as soon as possible.

Last edited:

What a phenomenal game by Kyrie Irving.

57 points
3 rebounds
5 assists
4 steals
7/7 three point shots
10/10 free throws
20/32 field goal
63 percent shooting

No one quite cracks the sads like Skip over twitter, except maybe one ex-BigBasketbally member....

Goes from praise to meltdown as soon as possible.

We could have borrowed a few stars and still lost to that Spurs team last year. Not sure Kyrie would have stopped us getting torched over and over again by the Spurs offense. :p

Situation was right, for both teams. Talking from a Phila standpoint, he was our only tradeable asset and we maximised value by getting two lottery picks to start a complete rebuild. If the build doesn't work it won't be because we traded away Jrue.

Agreed.

From our POV, we've had the likes of Bill Simmons etc. telling us how dumb we are for not rebuilding via the draft for eighteen months now. The context behind our decision to trade rather than draft to speed up the rebuilding process (ie get competitive to sweeten Brow's stay and pay guys BEFORE we have to pay AD) plus our tortured franchise history completely goes over his head.

Plus all ten of our rotation guys are aged between 21 and 28 - we might not be Philly/Utah/Orlando, but we ain't exactly Brooklyn either.

Mixed feelings on that Spurs v Cavs game.

Firstly the Spurs lost that game rather than the Cavs winning it. You're up 3 with what was it 5 seconds to go. Leonard at the FT line. Minimum just hit one to make it a two possession game. But he misses both allowing the Cavs to have a shot at taking it to OT.

Secondly even though the Spurs lost, I was pretty impressed by them. They are a team, one minutes its Duncan in the post, the next a Green triple, then Parker drives and scores, then it's Kawhi getting it done, then its Splitter on a put back... Everybody contributes. Very difficult to stop. Weird that they are the reigning champs and 5 time champs yet have had trouble closing out games this season.

Either way I thought they were excellent and even though they lost, they seem to be starting to hit on all cylinders as the playoffs approach. Wouldnt rule them out of coming out of the West just yet.

On the Cavs though, well it wasnt team ball as much as it was give it to Kyrie who was in beast mode. He was insane. Won them the game off his own back. When Kyrie has 57 and LeBron has 30 odd aswell, you are going to win most games. But in a 7 game series, Kyrie isnt going to get 57 every night so you would back the Spurs.

Great game though.

Mixed feelings on that Spurs v Cavs game.

Firstly the Spurs lost that game rather than the Cavs winning it. You're up 3 with what was it 5 seconds to go. Leonard at the FT line. Minimum just hit one to make it a two possession game. But he misses both allowing the Cavs to have a shot at taking it to OT.

Secondly even though the Spurs lost, I was pretty impressed by them. They are a team, one minutes its Duncan in the post, the next a Green triple, then Parker drives and scores, then it's Kawhi getting it done, then its Splitter on a put back... Everybody contributes. Very difficult to stop. Weird that they are the reigning champs and 5 time champs yet have had trouble closing out games this season.

Either way I thought they were excellent and even though they lost, they seem to be starting to hit on all cylinders as the playoffs approach. Wouldnt rule them out of coming out of the West just yet.

On the Cavs though, well it wasnt team ball as much as it was give it to Kyrie who was in beast mode. He was insane. Won them the game off his own back. When Kyrie has 57 and LeBron has 30 odd aswell, you are going to win most games. But in a 7 game series, Kyrie isnt going to get 57 every night so you would back the Spurs.

Great game though.
The Spurs choked it. They've been coming for a few games now building to peak form. I'm scared of playing them.

Agreed.

From our POV, we've had the likes of Bill Simmons etc. telling us how dumb we are for not rebuilding via the draft for eighteen months now. The context behind our decision to trade rather than draft to speed up the rebuilding process (ie get competitive to sweeten Brow's stay and pay guys BEFORE we have to pay AD) plus our tortured franchise history completely goes over his head.

Plus all ten of our rotation guys are aged between 21 and 28 - we might not be Philly/Utah/Orlando, but we ain't exactly Brooklyn either.
When one looks at your squad the talent does jump out at you. More so than many teams in the NBA.

Agreed.

FatHoarseBat.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WTF you guys talking about? Who is this Kyrie? Does he play for Knicks or Lakers?

Great game by the way with the Knicks pulling out a memorable win.

I like what I see.

If both teams can keep that core of players together once they get back team players like Kobe and Melo they could be the next Atlanta:thumbsu:

Today's game from Kyrie Irving is another one of those days where I wish we had have been able to get him to play for Australia :(

Secondly am I the only person who is slightly terrified of playing the pacers in the playoffs?

When one looks at your squad the talent does jump out at you. More so than many teams in the NBA.

Strange thing is that we seem to play better - and Monty seems to coach better - when we're down a few soldiers. It doesn't matter who - Brow, Jrue, Gordon, Ryno - we often find a way. And then we lose to the Knicks :oops:

On a similar theme, I was thinking about this re. the Dubs the other day - for all the talent you guys have and the chemistry you've developed this season, it's important to strike while the iron is hot.

I'm hoping Bogut, Lee, Livingston etc stay healthy through the playoffs, b/c I think we're all curious to see just how good a fully loaded Golden State is. Seasons like the one you're having come around so rarely - it's worth taking the time to enjoy it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back