The Official Western Conference 1st Round Thread: (3) L.A. Clippers vs (6) Golden State

Who wins?

• SoCal

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • NorCal

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Both teams would lose to the Knicks, the "Best team on paper"

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 18, 2003
The Room
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
GS.png
VS.
LAC.png

Regular Season: Clippers

Well we didn’t see that coming, did we? I'm talking about "Blake Griffin, MVP candidate" (OK, so he's only fighting amongst others for the 'best of the rest' spot on MVP Ballots, but that’s still pretty impressive).

Griffin is a big guy who plays like a small guy on the block, staying low to the ground as he twists, turns, and forces his way through and around defenders to create shots in the paint. It’s ungainly, a little wild, but ultimately effective. Add that to the improvement of his outside shot, and what we have is a stunning rise from mere dunking machine to potential franchise centrepiece.

Now that Chris Paul has a reliable running mate in Blake, the Clippers must be considered serous title contenders. And much credit must also be given to Doc Rivers, who, besides from recruiting has-beens from the late 00's (Turkoglu! Granger! Jamison! Vujacic! Stephen Jackson!) has instilled a sense of confidence in his team, particularly DeAndre Jordan who; no longer a spectator during 4th quarters.

This team is a mix of young and old, has plenty of toughness and a Point Guard that won’t take a backward step. The should get past the Warriors. From then on, it'll be interesting to watch the Clippers rumble with the big dogs of the Western Conference.

Regular Season: Golden State

"First and foremost, I'd like to thank God…"

Religion is something that affects and influences the daily lives of millions of people, so it's no surprise that it has found its way into the sporting landscape. The Warriors however, may be one of the more evangelical sports teams out there.

Mark Jackson sometimes appears to be more pastor than coach during Timeouts and he has a faithful congregation before him, led by Steph Curry, finger pointed to the heavens after each made 3-pointer.

I'm no theologian by any means (heck, you can barely even describe me as an insightful basketball fan), but Religion itself isn't such a bad thing at the individual level I suppose. Having a sense of faith can empower people, give them a sense of meaning, of purpose. And so this Warriors team is united behind Jackson to outdo last season's exciting playoff run.

Of course, it's hard to get everyone to buy in – Scalabrine was removed from the coaches bench and Bogut (who from the outside appears too pragmatic to be a religious type of guy) also had a minor stoush with Jackson.

But for the most part this Warrior team has retained its 'Us-against-the-world' mentality.

How that translates to on-court strategy and execution is a slightly different matter. Curry is a brilliant shooter and all, but is he having to create his own shot off the dribble a little too much? How come Barnes, obviously talented, has yet to find an offensive niche within the team? Why do the Warriors lay the occassional stinkbomb at home?

These are perhaps minor squabbles though for a team whose offensive potency has been matched by a solid defense.

It's just a shame that without the injured Bogut we'll never get to see just how serious of a contender the 2013/14 Warriors are, but by the grace of God, maybe this team will be able to squeak past the 1st round.

Season Series: 2-2

Key Questions

• Does Klay Thompson have the energy to guard Paul at one end and still be effective at the other?
  • Apparently Jackson is undecided about who will start at C out of Jermaine O’Neal or Draymond Green. In last seasons playoffs Jackson had a lot of success going small, but against the Jordan/Griffin frontcourt isn't that a recipe for disaster?
  • Will Griffin's facial expression ever change from the blank tough-guy stare he carries at all times?
  • The hate is strong between these teams. Is it in the best interests of the short-handed Warriors squad to provoke, prod and goad the Clippers into playing with an anger-filled emotion? (Perhaps Thompson should pat Chris Paul on the head and see what happens)

Random Youtube Clip

Remember this?

#FullSquad
#InjuryDepletedSquad
#NowThere'sNobodyToCoverUpLee'sDefensiveMistakesSquad
#BogutIsMoreFragileThanGlass
#HeyBogut-KeepInsistingThatYou'reNotInjuryProne-WeDon’tBelieveYou
#IWishBazemoreWasStillATowelWaverOnThisSquad

Pointless All NBA Team

As expected, Blake Griffin's had some great dunks this season, but he hasn't that one singular, demoralising, in-your-face-dunk. In other words, he hasn't "Mozgov'd" anyone this year. However, there have been plenty of other huge dunks in 2013/14. Here is the All-NBA Team for "Guys who have delivered huge soul-destroying dunks":

C: Timofey Mozgov

Gonna be a great series, I think Jermaine will start but only play 10-15 mins a game, Draymond to play 35-40 mins and a lot of small ball

I say Clippers in 6

Shame Bogut won't be out there, mostly because the regular season games you could see both teams don't like each other. The injury also gives GSW a second year to put an asterisk next to their playoffs performance. Hoping GSW bring it, but Clippers win this.

I hate the Dubs, hope the Clips obliterate these punk ass bitches. :p A sweep is a very strong possibility and it's nothing less than what clowns like David Lee and Klay Thompson deserve.

I'm giving Steph 1.5 individual game wins, Klay 0.5 individual game win and the Roar-a-cle and the the rest of the team 1 win but without Bogut I can't give them 4.

Clips 4-3.
Chris Paul dominant 1, BG32 dominant 1, 3 ball win 1 and home game + Doc 1. Cracking 1st rd series.

Going to find it hard to get over the Clippers without Bogut, but we can definitely push this out to 6 or 7 games off the back of a hot Curry. Will need Barnes and Green to step up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The refs are making sure early this game doesn't get chippy

Back