The on topic thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
UEFA have announced their "Ultimate Team"

all_time_team.jpeg

Would personally have Buffon ahead of Casillas, Zidane instead of Gerrard. Lahm to the right and Maldini on the left. Would have though Eto'o might have been in with a shout too.

The team lacks a ball winner in midfield entirely. But I guess these teams aren't meant to make sense.

More details here: http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2015/11/23/uefa-announce-ultimate-team

all_time_team.jpeg

Would personally have Buffon ahead of Casillas, Zidane instead of Gerrard. Lahm to the right and Maldini on the left. Would have though Eto'o might have been in with a shout too.

The team lacks a ball winner in midfield entirely. But I guess these teams aren't meant to make sense.

More details here: http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2015/11/23/uefa-announce-ultimate-team

If we're talking European football then I'd have Ronaldinho over Henry too. You could probably make a few changes but it's a very worthy 18 names they've selected there, all have had a massive influence on the European cup.. I'm guessing this is over the last 10-15 years?

There's always some unlucky players who miss out in best of teams like this. But one standout is Raul.

Incredible record in Europe.

To borrow a topic from another thread:

Other than the money your club earns I really don't see the desperation to play in the champions league. You could say that it get's better players to your club but when Spurs made it they didn't spend anything. When Liverpool made it they rested players in the competition to try and get back into it the next year.

As a supporter champions league matches are overpriced, you can't get a beer in the stadium, the full of tourists and half and half scarf wearers. The atmosphere is generally pretty sterile. For me at least I enjoyed the Europa/UEFA Cup games much more (and we were s**t in that too before anyone starts). Many blues I speak to still name the Hamburg game (which we lost) as the best atmosphere since we moved from Maine Rd. I wholeheartedly agree with them.

Just seems to me that there is this desperation to finish top 4, and when you get there it's like "what do we do now? I know, lets qualify for the champions league next year".

To borrow a topic from another thread:

Other than the money your club earns I really don't see the desperation to play in the champions league. You could say that it get's better players to your club but when Spurs made it they didn't spend anything. When Liverpool made it they rested players in the competition to try and get back into it the next year.

As a supporter champions league matches are overpriced, you can't get a beer in the stadium, the full of tourists and half and half scarf wearers. The atmosphere is generally pretty sterile. For me at least I enjoyed the Europa/UEFA Cup games much more (and we were s**t in that too before anyone starts). Many blues I speak to still name the Hamburg game (which we lost) as the best atmosphere since we moved from Maine Rd. I wholeheartedly agree with them.

Just seems to me that there is this desperation to finish top 4, and when you get there it's like "what do we do now? I know, lets qualify for the champions league next year".
There is this notion of having aspirations. I highly doubt we have aspirations of perpetually finishing 5th, first step is top 4 which is achievable and then you build from there. When Levy took over iirc we were a bottom half team so over time we've slowly risen under a relatively smaller budget to the traditional heavyweights. Small steps and we're now at that point where 5th is no longer an acceptable goal like it might have been 8-10 years.

Just because City fans refuse to enjoy the champions league doesn't mean everyone else should.

People can enjoy or not enjoy the competition as they see fit. Not sure why every comeback to a comment has to involve "yeah, but your club ...". This isn't about City, or any club. Just a general football question. FWIW I'm sure some City fans enjoy the competition tremendously. Personally I'm not a fan, but I'm not all City supporters.

Was it really that enjoyable for you watching Liverpool in the champions league last season, having your best players sat on the bench preparing for a premier league match four days later. To me it seems the achievement is getting there, and the competition itself isn't as important as making sure you do well enough in the league to get there again the next season.

There is this notion of having aspirations. I highly doubt we have aspirations of perpetually finishing 5th, first step is top 4 which is achievable and then you build from there. When Levy took over iirc we were a bottom half team so over time we've slowly risen under a relatively smaller budget to the traditional heavyweights. Small steps and we're now at that point where 5th is no longer an acceptable goal like it might have been 8-10 years.

I have no problem with people aspiring to finish as high as they can. I would also say that aspirations should be about winning things, nowadays trophies don't seem as important as finishing in 4th place. We've seen with Everton and Liverpool and Spurs that qualifying for the champions league isn't always the path to kicking on to bigger and better things.

I just wonder once a team has qualified for the champions league what's more important. Doing well in the comp, or getting back there the next season. If it's the latter (and I think it is for a lot of people) what's the point?

I have no problem with people aspiring to finish as high as they can. I would also say that aspirations should be about winning things, nowadays trophies don't seem as important as finishing in 4th place. We've seen with Everton and Liverpool and Spurs that qualifying for the champions league isn't always the path to kicking on to bigger and better things.

I just wonder once a team has qualified for the champions league what's more important. Doing well in the comp, or getting back there the next season. If it's the latter (and I think it is for a lot of people) what's the point?
For us it may open up the opportunity to recruit better players, we ****ed up last time we made top 4 by not doing so, then Bale left and set us back.

We get top 4 and then we can try strengthen the squad to push on to then try and finish 3rd and so on and so on, we have a smaller wage bill to all the other top 4 competitors so we need the lure of CL football.

Playing on a Thursday historically has been more detrimental to our league performances than CL would be and then there's an extra round of knockouts as well.

We're not big enough to that top 4 is almost fait accompli and not small enough that we're content with mid table mediocrity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People can enjoy or not enjoy the competition as they see fit. Not sure why every comeback to a comment has to involve "yeah, but your club ...". This isn't about City, or any club. Just a general football question. FWIW I'm sure some City fans enjoy the competition tremendously. Personally I'm not a fan, but I'm not all City supporters.

Was it really that enjoyable for you watching Liverpool in the champions league last season, having your best players sat on the bench preparing for a premier league match four days later. To me it seems the achievement is getting there, and the competition itself isn't as important as making sure you do well enough in the league to get there again the next season.

Eh, it was just a throwaway comment but I was mostly referring to the bit where you said you don't understand why fans like it. Hating the champions league has sort of become your (City fans) thing and you guys seem oddly proud of it and I just feel like if you tried enjoying it for what it is you might like it.

From the clubs point of view I completely agree, as a supporter seeing your team rest players in Europe so that you can qualify for Europe makes no sense but unfortunately some clubs are only interested in what makes the most money.

Last edited:

I also agree with this, I never talk about wanting top 4 because it doesn't interest me. Even though it feeds in to the Liverpool stereotype my attitude has always been that I want us to win the league even if it does seem unrealistic.

Do you accept that your view might be different had City performed better in the competition to date?

Do you accept that your view might be different had City performed better in the competition to date?

No.

We haven't been nearly as bad in the competition as people make out.

2011/12 10 points
2012/13 3 points (the one bad year)
2013/14 15 points (in the knockouts)
2014/15 8 points (in the knockouts)
2015/16 9 points (in the knockouts with 2 matches to go)

Knocked out twice by Barca which I pretty much expected. It's not the worst record in the world. I stopped going after 13/14 which was our best run in the comp to date. I just didn't find it enjoyable, and often that season I felt it more a chore than something I really looked forward to.

And like I said I enjoyed our UEFA Cup/Europa campaigns much more and we didn't do any better there.

No.

We haven't been nearly as bad in the competition as people make out.

2011/12 10 points
2012/13 3 points (the one bad year)
2013/14 15 points (in the knockouts)
2014/15 8 points (in the knockouts)
2015/16 9 points (in the knockouts with 2 matches to go)

Knocked out twice by Barca which I pretty much expected. It's not the worst record in the world. I stopped going after 13/14 which was our best run in the comp to date. I just didn't find it enjoyable, and often that season I felt it more a chore than something I really looked forward to.

And like I said I enjoyed our UEFA Cup/Europa campaigns much more and we didn't do any better there.

Wasn't really having a go at City's European performances specifically, more suggesting the possibility of correlation between success of a team and supporter enjoyment.

Suppose you had knocked Barcelona out in one of those seasons, then got through another tie after that and reached a semi-final. You would have some famous victories to reflect on fondly, which would potentially alter your perception of the competition.

I wouldn't enjoy the Champions League either if Liverpool were going to do as badly in the competition every time we were in it as we did last season. But it's the games that you win along the way (I'm lucky enough to have seen us beat most of the European powerhouses in my time supporting the club) that produce memories, good or bad, and affect the way you see the competition.

Maybe, but I doubt it.

I'll watch the games on TV and I'll be pleased when we win and disappointed when we don't. But in the long run it wouldn't upset me if we never played in the comp again. I wanted us to pull out last year instead of paying the UEFA fine.

But that's probably why I'm not fighting off job offers from football clubs needing a new CEO.

I also agree with this, I never talk about wanting top 4 because it doesn't interest me. Even though it feeds in to the Liverpool stereotype my attitude has always been that I want us to win the league even if it does seem unrealistic.

The way I see it is that sustained CL football for a period helps us win the league long term, not trying to be Wenger and just finish 4th

The way I see it is that sustained CL football for a period helps us win the league long term, not trying to be Wenger and just finish 4th

Oh yeah I totally get it but I do get a bit annoyed when our players are doing interviews in pre-season saying the aim is to finish top 4. The season hasn't even started yet and you're putting limits on what you want to achieve. You might as well aim to come first.

all_time_team.jpeg

I would ditch Casillas for Buffon, move Lahm to right back and get Cole as Left back, and take out Gerrard for a DM.

Random question but say this is a list of some of the absolute powerhouses of European football. Traditionally, perhaps not presently.

Barcelona
Real Madrid
Atletico Madrid
Juventus
AC Milan
Inter Milan
Bayern Munich
Borussia Dortmund
Chelsea
Man United
Liverpool
Arsenal

Has your team beaten them all? I know in some cases, sometimes you will never have played a certain team. Regularly qualifying for the CL means you end up meeting everyone at some point but some teams you just dodge. Obviously if you have a long and storied history in Europe you will have played most and hopefully beaten them.

Like what about new boys City, have City ever played Real Madrid? I cant remember off the top of my head, they have faced Barca a couple of times but never beaten them right? Chelsea are quite new to the top table, have they played everyone yet and beaten everyone?

On that list, I know Liverpool has beaten Barca, Real, AC Milan, Inter, Chelsea, Arsenal. I remember meeting Atletico in the then UEFA Cup semi's I believe but we lost over two legs. I dont think we've ever faced United in Europe.

Im pretty sure we've played Dortmund before but maybe only once. Think we got beat. Cant quite remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back